Subject: Allison the Twilight Knight (Kingdom Death + Myth collab) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Walsh
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1700755582/myth-0/posts/......

This is what MERCs have been teasing for so long; a figure that works with both Kingdom Death and Myth, but exclusive through pledging for Myth.

Gorgeous art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShiftyPowers57 wrote:
...a figure that works with both Kingdom Death and Myth...

Just pointing out this isn't true. As of the recent Kingdom Death update (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-mons...):

Quote:
This model does not include any unique rules for Kingdom Death: Monster. It only has rules for Myth as a mini-boss.

Still cool though. Almost pushing me towards backing Myth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Walsh
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
Ah. Two different updates, two different inclinations. I apologize, then, folksies. But still, a collab between both studios is still fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and only way how to get the mini is to pledge to Myth.
I can imagine this could be a very good reason for somebody to become a backer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
Yes and only way how to get the mini is to pledge to Myth.
I can imagine this could be a very good reason for somebody to become a backer.

....besides all other other good reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I had found out before there were like six hours left on the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are beginning to annoy me now. Hell Dorado at least you could just get the KD style mini without having to pledge big. But with this one, you have to pldge the whole game to qualify for the KD special. Sorry, but no - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I looked at Myth a week or so ago. Decided I didn't like it. Now I find that if I want to be a KD "completist", I need to pledge for a whole game that I don't want.

Fortunately, not only does the Myth figure not have KD rules, but it is also in completely different scale, so my "desire for completeness" can be overruled.

I just worry where this trend is going. What happens if the next random Kickstarter project comes with a compatible KD figure if you pldge at game, t-shirt, and lots of extras level?

I know Adam is doing this because he wants to help out other games and companies. But I think he needs to think about what this "help" actually involves - because ultimately he is using his game to push other games. If those other games prove to be a crock, then some of the backlash will fall on him and on KD: "I wouldn't have pledged for Myth except to get the Twilight Knight, and the game is rubbish!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
These are beginning to annoy me now. Hell Dorado at least you could just get the KD style mini without having to pledge big. But with this one, you have to pldge the whole game to qualify for the KD special. Sorry, but no - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I looked at Myth a week or so ago. Decided I didn't like it. Now I find that if I want to be a KD "completist", I need to pledge for a whole game that I don't want.

Fortunately, not only does the Myth figure not have KD rules, but it is also in completely different scale, so my "desire for completeness" can be overruled.

I just worry where this trend is going. What happens if the next random Kickstarter project comes with a compatible KD figure if you pldge at game, t-shirt, and lots of extras level?

I know Adam is doing this because he wants to help out other games and companies. But I think he needs to think about what this "help" actually involves - because ultimately he is using his game to push other games. If those other games prove to be a crock, then some of the backlash will fall on him and on KD: "I wouldn't have pledged for Myth except to get the Twilight Knight, and the game is rubbish!"

Worrying trend and backlash. Wow. I pledged for both games at basic level and I think it's really sweet that they teamed up for this - it's like James Cameron selling The Hobbit or Peter Jackson bigging up Avatar. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:

Agreed. Though to be fair it wasn't up to KD as basically what he did was pledge for their create a mini-boss level. So the decision to place it at the $75 + level is up to the Myth guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
I think it's really sweet that they teamed up for this - it's like James Cameron selling The Hobbit or Peter Jackson bigging up Avatar. cool

Yep - SUPER cool....if you like The Hobbit, AND you like Avatar.

Imagine though that you only liked the Hobbit, say, and you hated the concept of Avatar and had no desire to go see it. Then imagine that the only way to find out part of the backstory of Fili and Kili was to pay to see Avatar. Would you feel as happy?

That's how I'm feeling. That there is a little part of Kingdom Death that I can't have unless I'm willing to pay a lot of money for a different product that I don't want.

Koey wrote:

Agreed. Though to be fair it wasn't up to KD as basically what he did was pledge for their create a mini-boss level. So the decision to place it at the $75 + level is up to the Myth guys.

Really?
KD Update 72 wrote:

To show my support for Myth we have agreed to add Allison the Twilight Knight as a special mini boss to the game..

(My bold). Sure sounds like it was as much Adam's idea as theirs.

[Sighs] I'm sure that this was done just the way they say it was done - as a cool, nice little bonus for fans. Unfortunately, in practice it is indistinguishable from a cynical marketing ploy to boost sales of one product by dumping aspects of another brand into it.

Its not as if Myth needed the boost - it was already over half a million when the KD figure was announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Guess that's the price you have to pay.

I think you'll be ok though, as you mentioned Myth didn't seem all that exciting to you and the KDM mini was a) not to scale and b) no KDM rules .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea, I guess, but why in the world is she a villain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
There's always ebay if you're truely desperate. If you read the Myth update it makes it clear that Adam backed the game at the Trickser level which lets him design a boss. At Adam's request they included it at the $75 level rather than the $100 level the Trickster mini was supposed to be at.

Personally I think anyone that backed Myth just for an under scale, ruleless, slightly cartoony KDM mini is insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, Myth easily got more in publicity than the $25 difference in cash.

Myth should have paid Adam to leverage the KD:M mailing list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Though I should add that if anyone did back Myth just for the KDM mini I'd be happy to receive all that Myth junk you don't really want for Christmas. I was interest in backing it but it was out of budget at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houston Ostlund
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I backed it at the last moments. Looks like a 'lighter weight'KDM. Should be an easier theme for the girlfriend to digest before I drop baby monsters and dick tails on her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.