Popular Tags: [View All]
Del
United States
Pinole
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

sorry if this has been asked already, I did as much searching as I could but could not find anything. What happens if a player's investigator is devoured, then the next investigator the player gets is Ashcan Pete but Duke is already in play as an ally for another player? Our playgroup decided that the player who drew Ashcan Pete gets Duke and the previous owner of Duke got another ally card.

Thanks,

Del

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, nothing. Duke is not tied to Ashcan in that way. The person who drew Duke, just keeps him.

Edit: Of course play how you like, but you are also getting a free Ally card. That is going to sway difficulty significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Del
United States
Pinole
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, thanks for the reply. But I thought that Ashcan Pete started with Duke. Did I get the wrong investigator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Duke is an ally like any other. In Mansions, he is tied to Ashcan, but even then, Duke can be "passed" to another investigator. Not sure why you had the impression he needed to stay with Ashcan. He is certainly associated, but as I said, he is just another Ally, for all practical purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Del
United States
Pinole
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, maybe we misread and misinterpreted Ashcan Pete then, or maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. We had a 5 player game. Player 2's investigator was devoured and the new investigator he drew was Ashcan Pete. Duke was already an ally for player 4. The way we read Ashcan Pete's starting items was that he started with the ally Duke. Which is why we decided to move Duke from player 4 to player 2 and gave player 4 the next card from the ally deck. Sorry, I don't have game infront of me to reread Ashcan Pete's cards, I'll check it again later tonight.

Thanks,

Del

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies. Ya know, I am not so sure. I think I was forgetting that Ashcan specifically calls for Duke as a starting ally. Might check the FAQs, but I don't know how you would handle this. I suppose what you did is as good a solution as any. Or, just giving Ashcan a random Ally.

Sorry for storming in with confusion. I will check the FAQs. Can't imagine this never came up before.

Edit: A quick scan of the FAQs revealed nothing on this. Guess my advice would be just to rule on it (as you did), and game on. Certainly would be a great item for a FAQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Del
United States
Pinole
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a problem, no apologies necessary. I figured that I hadn't described the situation in enough detail. We did have a printout of the current FAQ from FFG while playing and we couldn't even find a ruling that was related or similar, so we made that ruling on the spot. Afterwards, we searched as many boards as we could and couldn't find anything either. Oh well, it all worked out to everyone's satisfaction in the end. Thanks again for the help and discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't run into this situation. (It's apparently obscure enough that there may have been no official ruling on it!) But I like your solution, Del.

Alternately, especially for the "Elder Sign is too easy" crowd, you could just have Duke desert the earlier character with no compensation. I'm a bit inclined in that direction, because even though I don't think the game's "too easy," I think it does insufficiently penalize the devouring of investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Del
United States
Pinole
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, I actually like that, it's very thematic, an investigator finds Duke wandering around and befriends him. Later, Ashcan shows up (possibly trying to find Duke) and Duke immediately recognizes his master and goes straight to him. I'll bring that up with my playgroup the next time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.