J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unless I'm missing something obvious the way to track damage looks nearly identical to Nightfall

I'm not sure how you can call that "unique" (other than gems instead of 'scratch marks')

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*agrees with Holmes*

Hey Holmes!

I'm not really sure there's anything actually unique about the game, which isn't necessarily bad. Blizzard after all has become one of the biggest video game companies in the world by making games almost completely devoid of any uniqueness, just with exceptional levels of polish.

Still to be seen what this game's level of polish is (watching the Box of Delights video as I'm typing this). Borrowed ideas can still fit together in new ways and be tons of fun all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This pun will either work very well or very badly

"I didn't see you there Montag, you neeked up on me."

And agreed, the game looks interesting and could be good or bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blizzard no uniqueness? Not sure how you qualify that statement. Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo. They were pretty unique for their time.

I can't help but feel there is very little depth in this game. If you take Nightfalls colour linking process it adds a level of decision making thats interesting. This just seems like pull a card and roll a dice. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something. Where are the decisions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mxrk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They said "unique," not "literally unique."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxrk wrote:
They said "unique," not "literally unique."

So 'unique' wasn't actually the intended adjective? It's either unique or it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:
Blizzard no uniqueness? Not sure how you qualify that statement. Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo. They were pretty unique for their time.
Not really. Warcraft was a typical RTS that ripped off the Warhammer Fantasy universe, Starcraft the same thing with Warhammer 40k. But both were finely balanced and thanks to Battlenet offered solid online play that no one else could offer. Blizzard basically spent most of their early years looking at other games, and deciding, "We can do that, but better." Even WoW was initially the exact same thing as every MMO up to that point, just with a higher level of polish and long-term support. It's not that their games had no uniqueness at all, but coming up with new, innovative ideas has never been Blizzard's specialty; it's doing what others have done before, but better.

As for Hunter's Guild, it seems like the artist (the designer) just wanted to make a really simple game to showcase their art. Take a neat mechanic that saves on component cost, center a game around it, done. It's neat, but there are already a lot of hyper-simple adventure/dungeon crawling card games like this out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
gamecat_uk wrote:
Not really. Warcraft was a typical RTS that ripped off the Warhammer Fantasy universe, Starcraft the same thing with Warhammer 40k. But both were finely balanced and thanks to Battlenet offered solid online play that no one else could offer. Blizzard basically spent most of their early years looking at other games, and deciding, "We can do that, but better." Even WoW was initially the exact same thing as every MMO up to that point, just with a higher level of polish and long-term support. It's not that their games had no uniqueness at all, but coming up with new, innovative ideas has never been Blizzard's specialty; it's doing what others have done before, but better.

As for Hunter's Guild, it seems like the artist (the designer) just wanted to make a really simple game to showcase their art. Take a neat mechanic that saves on component cost, center a game around it, done. It's neat, but there are already a lot of hyper-simple adventure/dungeon crawling card games like this out there.

I feel they had innovations within that genre,however,even if they were not genre defining. Very few games start a genre most are innovating within an established type, but I get your point.

I agree regarding HG maybe I was expecting more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.