Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if it was deleted by poster, or by admin, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but I bookmarked it. I was honestly curious, usually people don't mind having their interviews where they can be read - that is why interviews are given, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahem........ cough.... www.archive.org ... cough.. cough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I deleted it after a Knizia-ette complained about my lack of tact and consideration. I didn't see anything offensive, embarassing or proprietary in the interview, hence my curiousity. There are archived copies on the web, which I won't link to for fear of That Which Must Not Be Spoken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok... now i have read the interview. What's so controversial or revealing about it to threaten with a lawsuit if not removed?

It's not far off from the GeekSpeak interview he gave the first time he was on the show.

I would really like to know the story behind this. What's so bad about it, and why now? after all... the interview is 13 years old.

Please enlighten me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seemed pretty benign to me as well. Maybe it's got nothing to do with the interview, or perhaps there was a fear that someone would do a word frequency analysis and finally confirm the "multiple Knizias" theory that has been floating around Usenet for a few years. "Reiner" translates as "more purely", a playful allusion to a mythical, essentialized author, as opposed to a cabal of designers sharing the Knizia name. Another important clue is that there are no pictures of him near a mirror, i.e. no reflection. Am I the only one that finds this suspicious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see the original thread, but I'm curious too.

I've seen other websites with Knizia info that have recently been shut down. Chris Lawson's website says that it was shut down at Knizia's request. I think Chris is still one of Knizia's main playtesters, so I'm guessing it was nothing like "shut down that website or I'll kill you!".

Actually, now that I go and look at Chris' website again it says that it will no longer be updated and to please visit Knizia's official website. Maybe that has something to do with it. Knizia has his own website now and wants people coming there instead of all of the unofficial sites. The interviews being removed still doesn't make sense though.

All of this, of course, is secondary to one main question....Can I be a Kniziaette?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One does not "ask" to join the Knizia collective. Rather, there is a blinding flash and a transformation not unlike the quickening in The Highlander. Do not ask me how I know this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
craniac wrote:
One does not "ask" to join the Knizia collective. Rather, there is a blinding flash and a transformation not unlike the quickening in The Highlander. Do not ask me how I know this.

Craniac is obviously a fraud. After all, the first rule of the Knizia collective is not to talk about the Knizia collective.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am but a humble scribe, documenting the collective's subtle machinations of humanity through the use of "board games", an elegant device for locating potential troublemakers prior to...but I've said too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the original publisher could I ask for this matter to be dropped. Reiner made his request, and the request was complied with.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
sumo wrote:
As the original publisher could I ask for this matter to be dropped. Reiner made his request, and the request was complied with.

Thanks.

Well, it is good to have some word from the mouths of relevant horses, but I don't think manners demand that we not debate the appropriateness of the request, or the response, on a site that isn't yours or Reiners.

I don't even have a strong opinion on the event, I'd just hate to live in a world where the preceeding statement is false.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like that's all we're gonna get. Move along, nothing to see here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Well, it is good to have some word from the mouths of relevant horses, but I don't think manners demand that we not debate the appropriateness of the request, or the response, on a site that isn't yours or Reiners.
On the one hand, if both Dr. Knizia and Mr. Siggins want the matter dropped, you could say, what business is it of ours to keep discussing it?

On the other hand, it was an interview on a topic we care about (Reinier's game designs), and it is hard to figure out why anybody would want it hidden, so it's pretty unrealistic to expect us to suddenly say "OK, we'll pretend it never existed." It's especially unrealistic since there is no reason given other than "somebody wants you to pretend it never existed."

I guess that the conversation will end soon just because there isn't much more to say. There's one person who really knows why the interview was pulled, and he's obviously not going to tell us, so there's only so much more speculation we can do before we run out of ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, if the page formerly hosting the interview didn't say:

THIS INTERVIEW HAS BEEN PULLED BECAUSE KNIZIA THREATENED ME WITH A LAWSUIT

Then I suppose the question would never even come up. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a Knizia-ite. I like several of his games and he's a personable fellow but honestly he's not even in my top five designers list. Anyone who knows me knows which cult I'm in.

I suggested you ask Siggins because it was his magazine.

You said you were worried about fresh wounds.

I called bullshit. If you were worried about fresh wounds, you wouldn't have posted.

It had NOTHING to do with Knizia at all. It had to do with your response to my logical suggestion that you go to the source to find out your information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dietevil wrote:
I'm not a Knizia-ite. I like several of his games and he's a personable fellow but honestly he's not even in my top five designers list. Anyone who knows me knows which cult I'm in.

I suggested you ask Siggins because it was his magazine.

You said you were worried about fresh wounds.

I called bullshit. If you were worried about fresh wounds, you wouldn't have posted.

It had NOTHING to do with Knizia at all. It had to do with your response to my logical suggestion that you go to the source to find out your information.

Well, as lame as this sounds, I was kind of trying to be sarcastic with the "opening fresh wounds" comment, but of course it didn't really come across that way. My apologies for misrepresenting your designer allegiances, and in general being annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry if I appeared impolite. I politely request that the matter be dropped.

You may discuss and speculate as you see fit.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies for dredging up something unpleasant. The interview is still on the web in various places, so it is not that big of a deal. Thank you for your tact and courtesy--seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
After nearly four years, may we assume that time heals all wounds, and that this thread is now a safe haven for a picture of Steve Jackson signing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.