Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/books/e-l-konigsburg-autho...

Quote:
Mrs. Konigsburg was the only author to have won the American Library Association’s John Newbery Medal for distinguished children’s literature, considered the most prestigious in the field, and been the runner-up in the same year.

She received the 1968 medal for “From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler,” a story about a sister and brother from the suburbs who run away from home and surreptitiously camp out at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. She wrote that book in 1967, the same year she finished and sold her first book, “Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth,” about a new child in the neighborhood and her friendship with a girl who claims to be a witch, the 1968 Newbery runner-up.

She was a major writer for me in junior high. The View from Saturday was a very influential book for me when I was young.

You will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer. I remember her books fondly from my school years. I'll have to go get some of them out of the library again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.