Subject: Yuck, games that are similar to my own rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been making a dungeon crawl for almost 9 months, which is similar but not the same as mice and mystics, kingdom death, Myth and now galaxy defenders. I am frustrated that it will not be finished til after all of these games have gone out to the kickstarter fans and my work will be too little too late. So, what should I do now? Create it anyways and hope they are all hype and miniatures? Stop working on it, post it as PNP and cry in a corner? Go to each of the creators homes and make sure their games never see the light of day?

*sigh* It's been a rough day in general and I feel pretty defeated all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt the same way about my world war I game when Axis & Allies 1914 came out. I figured I would wait with my game until the hype of that game wears off. But by that time there may be another WWI game on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
I have been making a dungeon crawl for almost 9 months, which is similar but not the same as mice and mystics, kingdom death, Myth and now galaxy defenders.

... have you never heard of multiple discovery theory? ... things tend to be simultaneously developed by many ... not that dungeon crawlers are a new thing ... they aren't. Just that game concepts come out of a collection of idea's which are out there which many people notice at the same time which encourages them to make a similar things based upon those concepts. The good news is that only the best of these new things survives ... so if your game is truly good it will do well ... and if it isn't ... oh well ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dickinson
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. I have rules for a Zombie game that I have had for a while, but (my fault) done little with. I haven't been a board game for a few years (but always worked on my own ideas) and got back in to gaming in January.

I happened across a game called City of Horror... it is about 80% similar to the idea I had been working on, but never finished.

I think you should perhaps keep working on what you have and tweak it so that it has a unique element / feel to it.

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, I think you missed the point.

The fact that several similar games exist, (and have some serious attention) that are similar to yours is proof that there's room in the market for more than just one.

I'm no big shot designer. But I'm pretty sure that any one of them would tell you to worry about making the best game you can, rather than trying to be the next big thing.

Also, from what I can tell, the only thing that makes those games similar to eachother is heavy narrative and pretty miniatures. Those are two things there will always be room for in this hobby.

And really, ask yourself this question: "If I was actually interested inbeing ground-breakingly unique, would I be making a Dungeon Crawl?"

Make the game you want to make, get as much feedback as you can while you make it. Don't rush it. Polish it. Nourish it. And when it's ready to be played, There will be people ready to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:

The fact that several similar games exist, (and have some serious attention) that are similar to yours is proof that there's room in the market for more than just one.

Actually it means the market is starting to get saturated and there is less room for simmilar games.

The thing is. There are endless ways to go about a dungroncrawler and an approach that appeals to player A may be unplayable to player B. Some people love Mice and Mystics and hate Descent, some like Castle Ravenlost and dislike Mice and Mystics. Some people are going to really dig Myth and others will find it too limited, or not of the scope they want.

Sooooooooo.

Forge ahead and create your game as you want it. Ignore the rest and perhaps consider releasing it as a PnP game, Gamecrafter, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:

*sigh* It's been a rough day in general and I feel pretty defeated all around.

*digital hug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, dungeon crawlers are certainly not a new thing. Before this recent batch of Mice and Mystics onward (and including dungeon run), you had the D&D adventure games, Descent, Space Hulk 3e, and going even further back you had Warhammer Quest and HeroQuest. If you think you have a good game, go for it - the only guaranteed way it won't go anywhere is if you just let it sit and stew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Starflier wrote:

Actually it means the market is starting to get saturated and there is less room for simmilar games.

I respectfully disagree. Note the frillions of variations on "shipping goods in the Mediterranean" that continue to be produced (and presumably continue to sell).

Sure if your game is mechanically nearly identical to Mice and Mystics you might have some issues, but the fact that Mice and Mystics has been a hit in a market that already had Descent 2.0, Super Dungeon Explore, the D&D board games, Catacombs, and probably several that aren't springing immediately to mind pretty strongly implies that the saturation point, if it exists, is pretty far off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience when I saw something very similar to my unfinished game on Kickstarter. It's not going to get funded, which led to a bit of relief, but even if it was I figured that there would be room enough for mine.

Something like a dungeon crawl is already a very full market though, but as long as you have something that makes your game unique enough that people want to buy it instead of the existing ones (like Dungeon Roll or Dungeon Dice, which play very differently despite being dungeon crawls that operate primarily using dice) then you have a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let D&D know they need to shut down operations and toss it into 100% PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, we desperately need *more* of these games!!

None of these have really fit a niche just right yet. We tried Panic Station, Descent 2, and our next purchase will be Gears of War. We are trying them all to find that perfect game in this genre that will be our "go to" "violent adventure game that's sort of roleplay-ish".

Also, listen to "Omega". He gives good advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nitro9090 wrote:
So, what should I do now? Create it anyways and hope they are all hype and miniatures? Stop working on it, post it as PNP and cry in a corner? Go to each of the creators homes and make sure their games never see the light of day?

Finish the game, and then decide.

The science fiction and dungeon crawl markets are getting a powerful surge right now and the fans are responding because they have BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS for these types of games to enter the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hayford
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Make it a science fiction dungeon crawl. Seriously....all the science fiction games are "kill everything" type games. Or one on one bug hunts. Make something science fiction, but more of an actual dungeon crawl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Japan
Fujisawa
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess my "Run a biosphere on Mars" game will at least be somewhat original laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on why you're working on the game.

If it's commercial success you might find finishing it and waiting a bit for the right moment to release is wise. If it's for the joy of creating and wanting to put something cool out then finish it anyway and don't let the others hamper your good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions. I will have to continue to ponder all of this, but I think my game is unique enough to warrant continuing its development.

x_equals_speed wrote:
It depends on why you're working on the game.

If it's commercial success you might find finishing it and waiting a bit for the right moment to release is wise. If it's for the joy of creating and wanting to put something cool out then finish it anyway and don't let the others hamper your good time.

As to your comment, I do it for both. I love designing, critiquing and thinking about games, I can and have spent many hours straight doing nothing else and putting off other activities to do so. The idea of eventually seeing one of my games on a shelf is amazing to me and if I could make a living off of this (even if it isn't a great living), it would be a dream come true and that is what I am striving for in making games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do sympathize with Mike here. It doesn't even have to do with a missed economic opportunity, or even a missed opportunity to "Get yourself published".

Some times, it's just the "There's not much point having two games out there that play similar enough that they are the same game". (Not that it stops any of the Monopoly and Yahtzee clones)

Plus the realization that since someone else finished first, your effort at it is somehow less important.

It is very easy to fall into that trap of discouragement.

... but ...
Take HEART!!

For all the reasons everyone else has pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Good news: Your game is in a genre that people like well enough that there are lots of games in it.

Bad news: need to upgrade your elevator pitch. Can't say "Well it's like Mice and Mystics without the Mice." Figure out what your game does better than those games and sell that. "It's like Myth only with secret teams!" "It's like Galaxy Defender with a horror theme and a campaign mode with persistent characters!"

Plus now you can borrow mechanics from those other games if they're really good. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolling Twenty
United States
California
flag msg tools
bill437 wrote:
I felt the same way about my world war I game when Axis & Allies 1914 came out. I figured I would wait with my game until the hype of that game wears off. But by that time there may be another WWI game on the market.

I own the original Axis & Allies and IMO it is way too convoluted and complicated, especially if you're trying to explain the game rules to other people. A&A is like Risk+Diplomacy on steroids and it requires a technical manual to play. The game pieces are cool as hell though. Personally though, I like games I can play with my kids, 8-12 years and up range.

I don't know how complicated your game is but if it's easier to play than A&A, I'd probably rather play that.

A&A also takes an inordinate amount of time to play, with many games lasting days with the integrity of the game resting precariously on the onus that the gameboard not be disturbed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.