Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 2 questions (power pool, boat bridges) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. The rules continue to reference the "power pool" as if all players throw in their tokens to a large collection, to be chosen from. My group played with having our own power pools of just our own house tokens. Which is the correct way? What happens when one house has no more power tokens to choose from?

2. Can you create a boat bridge spanning more than one ocean area? Say I have a boat in 2 consecutive sea areas, can I travel between the two boats to reach a land area?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Woods
United States
Calabasas
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Forgot another question.

3. Can you use a boat bridge to enter an unoccupied Castle that contains enemy ships in the port (thus taking control of the castle, and converting the boats to your own)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Adrian
Canada
Edmonton
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
I don't have my rulebook handy, but the answer is Yes for both boat questions.
(Not exactly sure about the power tokens. I think each player has 2 piles of their own tokens: 1 collected, 1 not; if you run out, you're maxed out, just like units.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Common power pool is stupid for me. Every player has his own 20 tokens and can't earn more.
2. Yes, explicitly in rules.
3. Yes, but note that there must be a unit or Power Token in land area or ship is immediately destroyed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer the rules state its a combined power pool, but since you are restricted to only your own house power tokens, making individual stacks makes absolutely no difference.

I'm not sure if they combine them into one power pool for simplicity or whether to make it easier to judge how much power is in play or simply they just didn't care.

Given any drawn power tokens are supposed to be displayed so others can see how many you have, it really makes no difference if you create individual power pools or a combined one. Personally individual power pools seem to be easier to use if you have the room on the table (quicker to setup if stored in individual bags and quicker to find your tokens during play).

As for your ship questions, yes as the others have commented.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Yer the rules state its a combined power pool, but since you are restricted to only your own house power tokens, making individual stacks makes absolutely no difference.

I'm not sure if they combine them into one power pool for simplicity or whether to make it easier to judge how much power is in play or simply they just didn't care.

Given any drawn power tokens are supposed to be displayed so others can see how many you have, it really makes no difference if you create individual power pools or a combined one. Personally individual power pools seem to be easier to use if you have the room on the table (quicker to setup if stored in individual bags and quicker to find your tokens during play).

As for your ship questions, yes as the others have commented.


Could you maybe quote where the rules state this?
I do not remember ever reading anything that even remotely implies anything other than each player having their own powerpool to draw from.

btw, our solution is to have little bowls for each player where they keep their "pool" in and the "hand" is kept open next to the viewscreen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
Yer the rules state its a combined power pool, but since you are restricted to only your own house power tokens, making individual stacks makes absolutely no difference.

I'm not sure if they combine them into one power pool for simplicity or whether to make it easier to judge how much power is in play or simply they just didn't care.

Given any drawn power tokens are supposed to be displayed so others can see how many you have, it really makes no difference if you create individual power pools or a combined one. Personally individual power pools seem to be easier to use if you have the room on the table (quicker to setup if stored in individual bags and quicker to find your tokens during play).

As for your ship questions, yes as the others have commented.


Could you maybe quote where the rules state this?
I do not remember ever reading anything that even remotely implies anything other than each player having their own powerpool to draw from.

btw, our solution is to have little bowls for each player where they keep their "pool" in and the "hand" is kept open next to the viewscreen.

Step 11 of the setup on page 4, and in the diagram on page 5. Throughout the rules refer to "the power pool", not "their power pool". The important terms on page 6 even refers to "the communal power pool".

That said there is certainly no gameplay effect, since each player is restricted to their own power tokens. I've noticed other games have similar conventions (Notre Dame comes to mind), but we always have each player maintain their pool in both games. It's possible that the designers felt a common pool makes it harder for players to accidentally (or intentionally) mix their available tokens with the pool.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Krähenbühl
Switzerland
Galmiz
Fribourg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
It's possible that the designers felt a common pool makes it harder for players to accidentally (or intentionally) mix their available tokens with the pool.


I was asking myself the same question and thougth, that this may be the reason for the commen powerpool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
Yer the rules state its a combined power pool, but since you are restricted to only your own house power tokens, making individual stacks makes absolutely no difference.

I'm not sure if they combine them into one power pool for simplicity or whether to make it easier to judge how much power is in play or simply they just didn't care.

Given any drawn power tokens are supposed to be displayed so others can see how many you have, it really makes no difference if you create individual power pools or a combined one. Personally individual power pools seem to be easier to use if you have the room on the table (quicker to setup if stored in individual bags and quicker to find your tokens during play).

As for your ship questions, yes as the others have commented.


Could you maybe quote where the rules state this?
I do not remember ever reading anything that even remotely implies anything other than each player having their own powerpool to draw from.

btw, our solution is to have little bowls for each player where they keep their "pool" in and the "hand" is kept open next to the viewscreen.

Step 11 of the setup on page 4, and in the diagram on page 5. Throughout the rules refer to "the power pool", not "their power pool". The important terms on page 6 even refers to "the communal power pool".

That said there is certainly no gameplay effect, since each player is restricted to their own power tokens. I've noticed other games have similar conventions (Notre Dame comes to mind), but we always have each player maintain their pool in both games. It's possible that the designers felt a common pool makes it harder for players to accidentally (or intentionally) mix their available tokens with the pool.


Thanks a bunch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they have the power tokens in a single pool simply to make it more difficult to determine the amount of power tokens an opponent has.

Radziol wrote:
3. Yes, but note that there must be a unit or Power Token in land area or ship is immediately destroyed.

Except for homelands. If you move your land units out your ships stay and will become instantly taken if an opponent move into your home realm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
I think they have the power tokens in a single pool simply to make it more difficult to determine the amount of power tokens an opponent has.

What? It's open information almost all the time.
Radziol wrote:
3. Yes, but note that there must be a unit or Power Token in land area or ship is immediately destroyed.

Except for homelands. If you move your land units out your ships stay and will become instantly taken if an opponent move into your home realm.[/q]
There is no exception. You have printed PT on your home area.
And garrison = enemy won't simply take this area.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Piblo
Belgium
flag msg tools
Sorry guys, but the 'common power pool' makes a difference when it comes to estimating what other players have taken behind their screens. It makes it more difficult to remember how many tokens players already have obtained, since the tokens in the center of the common power token pile are not always visible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias R
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Eh, no. Power tokens are open information. You're not allowed to hide them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.