Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex English
United States
Chesterland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my first mahjong set today (chinese). I have a question for you enthusiasts: what version would most likely be played in Korea? Is there a good place to look for rules?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[potboiler] teamjsa
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is 'Korean Style' mahjong. Some of its characteristics are;
* Bamboo suit tiles are not used. (and some patterns like "Three similar sequences, Thirteen Orphans" are not used.)
* At least 2 Faan(except extra faan) is required to win the game.
* 4 Flowers(Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter) are used. 1 extra point per one flower. (exception: 8 extra points for 4 Flowers)
* Overall used patterns are very similar with patterns of Riichi Mahjong.
But the most popular version of mahjong in Korea (I think...) is 'Riichi Mahjong' (with some house rules). 'Korean Style' and 'Mahjong Competition Rules' are also popular.
I like Zung Jung(v3.3) System but it seems Zung Jung is minor rules in Korea. (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
A 2013 book called Mahjong From A To Zhú has a wealth of different regional variations of Mahjong - including the Korean variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex English
United States
Chesterland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does removing a suit mean you are restricted to 3 players or can you still play with 4?

I would like to try as many versions as possible, so I am going to try all three of your suggestions eventually

I ordered the book based on your suggestion as well. It looks like an excellent reference. Thanks to you both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[potboiler] teamjsa
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
4-player game but bamboo suit tiles are not used.

(Korean Style - Four Winds Mah Jong 2.0)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.