Subject: Most fun to play Rebel Squad? Imperial Squad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Ray
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
I have seen many posts about what squads are the best, or what squads are good in competitive games, but what about squads that are fun to play with in casual games? What squads has everyone built, rebel OR imperial, that are just flat out fun to play with!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the squads!!!

Seriously, it's Star Wars plus a great game design... How do you go wrong?!

I've flown goofy rookie swarms to elite Vader wings, haven't had a game that wasn't fun (lost or won)... Of course I play with fun people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Martin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Just play the ships you like. You should have fun.

But the part about playing with fun people is the most important, I guess.

The best game in the world cannot compete with a whiner...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In answer to the question posed in the subject: yes, it's the most fun to play a Rebel squad or an Imperial squad. whistle

...honestly, I've rarely failed to have fun with this game. I pay a lot of attention to the squads I play beforehand, because I enjoy that part of it, but almost any squad is worth trying out once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turr Phennir is probably the most fun pilot to use, in my opinion, so an Imperial list with the unique high-skill interceptors is a blast as you're always trying to predict your opponent and then maximize your boosts and barrel rolls as you hit and run with your frail glass cannons. Every turn is tense as you hope you guess right and Turr can slip away out of danger.

Rebels that give a lot of synergy to one another are also fun too: either something like Dutch + Garven + Biggs + generic fighter as a base or something like Wedge + Luke + Biggs loaded up with fun upgrades are lists that I find highly enjoyable to fly.

Least fun squads are certainly those that run a YT-1300 or two. This isn't to say those lists are too good or imbalanced, but rather that they are just not as much fun to play as or against (at least for us) because it removes key aspects of the "dogfighting element" of the game and becomes much more like a big dice drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Turr Phennir is probably the most fun pilot to use, in my opinion, so an Imperial list with the unique high-skill interceptors is a blast as you're always trying to predict your opponent and then maximize your boosts and barrel rolls as you hit and run with your frail glass cannons. Every turn is tense as you hope you guess right and Turr can slip away out of danger.

Rebels that give a lot of synergy to one another are also fun too: either something like Dutch + Garven + Biggs + generic fighter as a base or something like Wedge + Luke + Biggs loaded up with fun upgrades are lists that I find highly enjoyable to fly.

Least fun squads are certainly those that run a YT-1300 or two. This isn't to say those lists are too good or imbalanced, but rather that they are just not as much fun to play as or against (at least for us) because it removes key aspects of the "dogfighting element" of the game and becomes much more like a big dice drop.

If part of your strategy for fighting against a YT-1300 is a missile volley, then you don't lose the maneuvering for position aspect of the dogfight. It is sometimes very hard to get those missiles off due to the need to coordinate your own position, your opponents position, and your action selection, as you know.

I love the big ships and the variety they bring. I think they are very fun, because sometimes I like to just fly the damn thing and not worry so much about the thought involved in coordinating 5-8 ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
magadizer wrote:
I love the big ships and the variety they bring. I think they are very fun, because sometimes I like to just fly the damn thing and not worry so much about the thought involved in coordinating 5-8 ships.

Sometimes I cook coq au vin; pair it with wine; introduce it with a salad of spring greens, brie, dried cranberries, and homemade dressing; and end things with an orange-liqueur ganache over fresh fruit.

And sometimes I just really want a cheeseburger and a Coke. It's basically the same distinction, except that the person across the table from a well-flown Imperial squad isn't nearly as appreciative as the dinner guests. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

I agree that Turr Phennir is a lot of fun. He's "best" (most competitive) with Veteran Instinct but he's most fun with Push the Limit (used after he shoots).

I recently played against Vader + Engine Upgrade + Daredevil. My opponent had tonnes of fun performing Boost AND Daredevil (or sometimes Barrel Roll) after all my ships had moved. He was practically impossible to get in a firing arc, so I'd nominate him as fun to play (but frustrating to play against). Oh, and he's Vader. VADER. I mean who doesn't have fun playing Vader?!

I'm less opposed to Falcon and Slave I builds. Falcon-based squads can be fun for both players, especially those piloted by Lando (perhaps with Push the Limit and Nien Nunb and the Millennium Falcon title) with other action-stacking ships (i.e. Dutch and/or Garven). There's a sense of accomplishment when a plan comes together.

Similarly, Boba Fett + Engine Upgrade can be fun, especially with Soontir Fel and Turr Phennir. Also, Kath Scarlet with Marksmanship + Gunner can be fun because she can mess with your opponent's plans. Ditto for squads with Ion Cannons (e.g. double Y-wings).

But if you want both players to have fun, I'd avoid double Falcon or double Firespray squads, and Howlrunner-based swarms. They tend to feel like "work." At least, they do for players who often play as or against those types of squads... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, the most fun I had was playing this really unconventional build. It might not win you many games, but you will have a blast playing this list.

Meat and Hot Potatoes

The Meat (Shield)

Chewbacca (YT-1300) - 42 points
- Gunner (Co-Pilot Upgrade) - 5 points
- Cluster Missles (Missle Upgrade) - 4 points
- Millenium Falcon (Title Upgrade) - 1 point

Hot Potatoes

Green Squadron Pilot (A-Wing)
- Assault Missles (Missle Upgrade) - 5 points

Green Squadron Pilot (A-Wing)
- Assault Missles (Missle Upgrade) - 5 points

The strategy with this list is pretty simple. Send in both A-wings for Alpha strike on tight formations, then, use the Millenium Falcon to sponge damage while dealing damage with Cluster Missles and the Gunner ability.

Try to get the A-wings behind enemy firing arcs and take pot shots at ships while your MF sponges most of the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenden Flanigan
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
Bones, Baby!
badge
Ortho Doc
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a great tournament list because it is just a bit too fragile, but it is, by far, the most fun list to play list that I've ever had.

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/7439/elite-triple-9s

I've played it once before just a couple of days ago. During the whole game, I was only inside of their firing arc once. It was epic. Turr got one-shotted, though. Just a bit fragile. And the falcon is the big achilles heel here...

Still a TON of fun to boost and barrel roll everywhere. Every ship has the potential to both barrel roll and boost every turn if they want to. Oh, and btw, Vader with 3 actions? What up!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aray21 wrote:
I have seen many posts about what squads are the best, or what squads are good in competitive games, but what about squads that are fun to play with in casual games? What squads has everyone built, rebel OR imperial, that are just flat out fun to play with!?

I had heard that Rebels were more of a challenge to play and started off wanting to play them to prove people wrong (they aren't harder). Of course, all my friends that I started to play with all wanted to play Rebels! So, I took up the job of local Imperial player. Now, when I go to the monthly tournament on the other side of town, most players are Imperials! I can't win.

I think it's best to play the opposite faction of everyone else. At this point, more people usually play Imperials in my humble experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob L
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
littlebull76 wrote:
This is not a great tournament list because it is just a bit too fragile, but it is, by far, the most fun list to play list that I've ever had.

I love that list! I guess a second Interceptor is going to be this month's purchase after all...

I'm a really big fan of the Interceptor and the A-wing. So much fun to fly. I currently have a Luke w/engine mod and push the limit + Tycho + Arvel rebel list I fly. Not the greatest list, I know, but it's a lot of fun, and that's what really matters to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Ray
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Thinking this over today at work, I have worked up 2 squads that I think would be fun (one for each faction). BTW I am more of a rebel player, because I feel like most people are Imperial players. Also I just love the A-Wing and Tycho with expert handling!

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/8177/wedge-and-tycho-squad

The above squad is only 99 points, but will get the initiative against most Imperial builds.

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/view/8178/elite-vader-and-turr-s...

The second squad above has Vader as stated by iNano above, I love that Vader build!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlebull76 wrote:

I've played it once before just a couple of days ago. During the whole game, I was only inside of their firing arc once. It was epic. Turr got one-shotted, though. Just a bit fragile. And the falcon is the big achilles heel here...

Still a TON of fun to boost and barrel roll everywhere. Every ship has the potential to both barrel roll and boost every turn if they want to. Oh, and btw, Vader with 3 actions? What up!!!

I flew almost that exact squad at our last league night, except I used Daredevil on Vader instead of PTL. Extremely fun. Though I agree, Turr's rather vulnerable. I'll probably swap the homing missiles for stealth for Turr next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, any squad with Vader + Engine Upgrade + Daredevil is a lot of fun! I even give him Homing Missles for an early shot that's able to stack Target Lock and Focus. It is a lot of points, but it's just for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The most fun list I've flown for the Imps is:

Soontir + PTL + Stealth
Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts
Sabre + PTL + Stealth
Academy Pilot

This is 98 points. You will have initiative. Throw the TIE in front of the enemy and swoop in from all angles with the Interceptors. Your interceptors can all do boosts and barrel Rolls each turn.

Formation flying is becoming less fun for me. Flying my Howlrunner squads aren't doing it for me anymore. I don't get to react as much to my opponents. I have the same set up each game, my first two moves are almost always the same. And then I attack the same. Granted, it is still fun to watch enemy ships blow up on the first turn, but then there is a mad scramble with ships flipping around and exchanging fire. It doesn't feel like a dog fight.

To echo what was said above, when I fly with Turr, Soontir, and a Sabre with PTL, I have a lot more maneuverability and can attack from all angles and get in behind people.

For rebels I enjoy flying an action heavy squad:
Chewie + PTL + Falcon
Garvin
Dutch + Ion

The most fun I have rolling dice is when I have TL + F at range 1. It almost feels like a magic trick. "Okay ladies and gentlemen, pay attention. Right before your eyes I am going to change these 4 dice into 4 hits. Don't blink; you might miss it."

I taught a new guy how to play this past Tuesday at our league night and I walked him through the process of getting a target lock, not spending it, and the focusing the next turn. He rolled three dice, 2 hits and a blank. He picked up the blank and rolled an eye. Then he spent his focus. He paused at he looked at the dice and then at me. His response: "That was pretty cool."

The other thing I like about the list above is that it does not rely on range 1 like a Biggs or Swarm or Lando list does. It gives you a lot more freedom in maneuvering, especially since 2 of your ships have 360 firing arc.

My second choice would be a 5 ship Rebel list:
Prototype
Prototype
Rookie
Rookie
Gold Squad + Ion

You could swap the gold for another X-wing for more firepower, but a Y-Wing is nice. Again, formation is not required, and trying to fly an A-Wing in formation with the Y-Wing will be frustrating. Fly the A-Wings up a side and flip them around to come in behind the enemy while the X-Wings take them head on. Flying 5 Rebel ships almost feels like cheating. This list has 26 hitpoints just like a double Falcon list but only 1 of those ships has 1 agility. It has 11 shield points, 1 more than a double Falcon, and it attacks 5 times a round instead of only 2.

If you want beef up both the attack and durability, fly this:
Prototype
Green Squad + Draw their Fire
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie

This way your X-wings will probably survive the first round, and do maximum damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.