Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've just picked this game up because I enjoy the Napoleonic era and I've heard so many good things about the system. I have several CDG's and the game turns are separated by hands of cards as I'm sure all of you know.

While reading through the rules for this game I became slightly confused and maybe it's just the way it's written. It makes it seem as if one player plays all of the cards in his hand and then the other player plays all of the cards in his hand. Is this the way it works or do the players alternate card plays until there are no cards left in their hands as in CDGs? I'm probably just overlooking this.

Another question: When a hand is finished, do both players receive another full hand of cards as specified for that particular scenario?

I feel silly asking this question haha but thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
You alternate card plays.

After every card play, you draw a new card, so your hand should always have the number of cards specified in the scenario setup for your side. (unless you have units in square formation - to put a unit in square you randomly place a card from your hand face down on the square table - up to four)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

You play one card, then activate whatever units that card orders. Move them, then battle (if you choose to).

Then your opponent plays a card, etc.

Rinse and repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pages 5 and 6. Big headline.

Quote:

5. GAME-TURN (SEQUENCE OF PLAY)
The battle notes state which player goes first. The active (attacking) player, on his turn, orders the forces under his control into movement and battle with the play of a Command card and its associated effects. The active player’s opponent is considered the defending player during the turn. Players alternate taking turns, until one of the players reaches the number of Victory Banners indicated in the scenario’s victory conditions.

During your turn follow the sequence shown below:

1. COMMAND phase: Play a Command card.

2. ORDER phase: Announce all units and leaders you intend to order, within the limits of the Section or Tactic Command card just played.

3. MOVEMENT phase: Move all ordered units and leaders, one at a time. Respect National Unit Regulations per the National Unit Reference Card and terrain movement limitations.

4. COMBAT phase: All movement must be completed before any combat is fought. Battle one ordered unit at a time and each unit’s combat must be fought to completion including any ad- ditional combat actions before another unit’s combat is begun.

5. DRAW phase: Draw a new Command card.

Give all the pages an actual read and you can avoid that embarrassed laughter. Playing other cdgs doesn't mean there is no need to read the rules to this one. There are actually some concepts much more difficult than sequence of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
While reading through the rules for this game I became slightly confused and maybe it's just the way it's written

Or maybe it's the way you assumed you knew how cdgs work?

Quote:
It makes it seem as if one player plays all of the cards in his hand and then the other player plays all of the cards in his hand

There isn't an atom in the English version that "makes it seem" like that at all.

This isn't an electronic gadget you can just fake your way through. You actually have to read the manual. Try that once before insulting the game and the guys who made it. You'll save time in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you feel silly for asking what may be a obvious question, but the question not asked would be silly. However, I must say that I've seen many questions like this about the C&C type of game and I must say that there is an IT phrase that fits unfortunately - RTFM!!

However, I commend you on your choice. This is an awesome game and just gets better with each addition. The Brits are deadly when standing and their light infantry and rifles are nasty. The French are so dangerous when close and their cavalry can swing a battle. The Spanish are weak on the surface, but IF they stand, they can deliver a sore nose to the French player. The Russians are just plain evil - you have to go in with the bayonet to shift the buggers.

Enjoy and keep asking questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure why you thought I was insulting the game or anyone that plays it because that wasn't the case at all. I was obviously just looking for some clarification of a rule which is what this forum is for. I'm sorry if I offended any of you long time players as it was not my intention. It was just a harmless question after reading through the rule book for the first time and wanted to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't mind the grumpies... I had similar concerns when I first started C&C games.

The search feature on the forums is pretty good and will usually steer you in the right direction. There are also some useful player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.