United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I'm thinking about renaming my in-development game Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse, and I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any ideas...

...A little background. The original concept for Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse was to design a core game system that can be ported over seamlessly into other genres. That is still my intention. I plan to use the Skirmish Tactics game engine for different genres in the future, essentially re-skinning the game for things like Skirmish Tactics Space/Star Pirates, etc. I started with a post-apoc setting because I feel it's a little under-served and it's my favorite genre.

However, I realize the name Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse is more descriptive than evocative. For that reason, I'm thinking about renaming the game to something that better captures the feel of the game and is a little catchier, more evocative.

I originally posted this in the Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse forums, but I'm hoping to generate more ideas here.

I'm open to anything, though I think that it would be nice if the name could incorporate the following aspects:

Post-apoc setting;
Skirmish-level, tactical combat between disparate factions;
Maybe something specific to the lore of the world/factions (check this thread for a conversation about the game's fluff).

Ideas, thoughts, keep the name what it is?...

If you're interested in learning more about the game you can check out the

BGG entry: Skirmish Tactics Apocalypse
or FB page: https://www.facebook.com/SkirmishTacticsApocalypse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Board Game Design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Post-apocalyptic games always tend to have names that state the negative: "after the trouble". Why not change this into "before the renewal". Something like New Dawn, or Started Hope, ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey David!

Just to be clear, you're looking for something that defines the system, then the setting? So -

Skirmish Tactics : Blankety Blank

Or are you looking to replace the entire thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd leave it as is. It works and isnt too pretentious and gets to the point of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about S.T.A.?
S.T. something that makes a word

S.T.A.T.

S.T.O.N.E. s.t. one or stone (working on long title)

S.T.A.Y.

S.T.A.F.F. Fighting Factions

S.T.A.R.T.

S.T.U.D.

S.T.O.P. (Skirmish Tactics Objective "Place" or "goal")

someone can run with this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
I'd leave it as is. It works and isnt too pretentious and gets to the point of the game.

I more or less agree with John, but it might be because I've been so used to seeing the name at this point.

I think if it's really bugging you, stick with Skirmish Tactics, and change "apocalypse" to something more unique and thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, sorry to take so long to reply. I guess when a post gets moved you are no longer subscribed?

Anyway, lots of great ideas so far. Thanks. There's also a similar thread going on in the STA fourm.

So far, the ideas there have been:

- Skirmish Tactics: The Apocalypse.
- Apocalypse: A Skirmish Tactics Game
- Skirmish Tactics: Fighting in the Ruins
- After The End - A Skirmish Tactics Game

So thus far, almost everyone has suggested retaining at least some of the original "skirmish tactics" portion of the game. To some degree, I wonder if this isn't because we all sort of feel like John O. - we're use to the name. However, it also suggests to me the name must not be as potentially off-putting as I thought.

To specifically reply to some of the posts thus far:

@Toco - I like that. I wonder if it would be cheesy or too long winded to have a negative followed by a positive: Shattered Earth, New Dawn etc..

@Eric - I'm really not looking for anything specific. It can include the old ST portion of the name, refer to it as a subtitle or pre-fix, or drop it altogether. I'm really just looking to brainstorm ideas in general.

@John W. - I think if I was planning to keep the ST in the name at all (even in an acronym), it could cause issues for future games. I'd essentially be forcing myself to always use acronyms that start with ST, which could be problematic and sort of gimmicky.

Thanks again for the ideas...keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mb
I think the use of 'Stage' could work here...it permits the variations that you are considering.

Something like, "Battle Stage: Pirates" or "Battle Stage: Apocalypse" for example, maybe?

...or maybe "Battle Acts, Stage 1: Apocalypse", Battle Acts, Stage 2: Pirates"...sorry, I am sort of thinking out loud here...but then, how about just

Battle Acts: Apocalypse, Battle Acts: Pirates etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies: Skirmish Tactics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Axis & Allies: Skirmish Tactics

=)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Taylor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I like the Skirmish Tactics name. Perhaps you could just name all future variations with a subtitle. For example, Skirmish Tactics: High Seas, or Nova, or Apocalypse, whatever you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I like the Skirmish Tactics name. Perhaps you could just name all future variations with a subtitle. For example, Skirmish Tactics: High Seas, or Nova, or Apocalypse, whatever you need.

Wow. I'm really surprised how many people seem to agree on this. I have to admit that I'm liking it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just freestylin' here:

Wasted Tactics
Burn Out
Radiated Tactics
Radiated Skirmish
Radiasko
ApocoTac
FutureTac
Apocalypse Future
Apocalypse Burn
After Earth
Afterburn Tactics
After Apocalypse
ApocSkTac
APT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got some good ones in there, Scott. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish Tactics: Apocalypse; Battles after The Fall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
September 57
Nevada 57

you could use for both something like September/Nevada 57: The Aftermath or so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tamblyn
msg tools
designer
Hot Glass

After what's left when the bombs have fallen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
David - I'm reacquainting myself with your BGG entry, and what I'm seeing at a high level is though your world is after an "apocalypse," there's a LOT of fantastical and pulpy sci-fi related stuff in here. It seems much closer to Gamma World than, say, Mad Max or even Terminator.

This is an important distinction, IMO, as I believe most people (even gamers) typically associate "apocalypse" with your conventional aftermath-of-World-War-3 interpretation. That might be working against you here, and frankly, does a disservice to your theme as a whole (which seems to be much fuller and expansive than Mad Max!). I guess what I'm obliquely saying is that I think we need to get away from "apocalypse" and any of it's associated words, and fixate on something that better encapsulates your world, if even only at a general level.

There's some great suggestions above, but I feel awkward suggesting stuff for you without a better idea of your world. Is there an elevator pitch for the theme floating around somewhere?

I think posting something about what caused the apocalypse and how these different factions and "races" came to be might be helpful for giving you some targeted suggestions (apologies if I missed something posted earlier that covered this).

And as I've said before, the game looks great. This is definitely something I want to try at some point when my schedule frees up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
From the "fluff" thread David references in his OP (I'll try to read this when I get a sec):

History of the Apocalypse

On 19 September 1957, a nuclear weapon was detonated 899 ft underground at the Nevada Test Site in the United States of America. The test was one of a series in Operation Plumbbob, and it was the first underground nuclear detonation to produce no fallout. It was also the first nuclear detonation to open a gateway to what the United States officially refers to as the Netherscape, but what is more commonly referred to as the Basement.

The United States immediately sent in teams of investigators and military special forces to determine the nature of the Basement. What was clear was that it and its inhabitants were not of this world or reality. Apparently the nuclear detonation had torn a hole through a fragile veil that separated the two dimensions. In fact, later research revealed that brief, temporary alignments between our reality and the Basement had allowed beings to cross between the two, but only for short periods. This led to creatures of the Basement being mistaken for demons, ghosts, and monsters throughout Earth’s history.

Efforts to explore and map the Basement proved difficult and extremely dangerous. The realm seemed to change, slowly but inexorably, and unpredictably. Metals and minerals unique to the Basement were found, leading to increased interest by the government. Additional nuclear tests were conducted - some for routine testing of nuclear weapons, and some in an attempt to duplicate the conditions for creating a gateway to the Basement.

During the explorations into the Basement, various creatures of the Netherscape were discovered. The dangerous abominations were avoided at all costs, but if any were engaged in combat and captured, they were brought back to the surface for scientific examination. Scientists quickly realized the physiology of the Nether-beasts would not allow them to live on the Earth’s surface for extended periods.

Eventually the United States’ secret leaked out and other nuclear powers discovered the truth of the Basement. Nuclear testing increased worldwide. Atmospheric, exoatmospheric, and underwater tests were all conducted with the intention of trying to open a gate to the Basement, and all met with failure. Only contained, underground tests were successful. In 1963, all nuclear powers signed the Limited Test Ban Treaty, pledging to refrain from testing nuclear weapons in the atmosphere, underwater, and in outer space. Ostensibly this was for safety reasons. However, the truth is that the nuclear powers were simply focusing their efforts on accessing the Basement and its apparent riches. Explorers also discovered they could enter gateways to the Basement on one part of Earth and exit through a gateway elsewhere on Earth. This led nations to believe they could discover secret access points into other countries. While most of the world watched the Space Race from the late 1950s through the 1970s, a top secret race was also being waged by the world’s foremost super powers to discover the truths of another dimension.

By the 1990s it became clear to most of the nuclear powers that the dangers of the Basement greatly outweighed the potential gains. The ties between the two realities was strengthened for each successful gateway opened to the Basement. Furthermore, the strengthening of ties between the two realities apparently led to the Nether-beasts ability to live for longer periods of time on the Earth’s surface. Intelligent humanoids (dubbed Nethermancers) were discovered - first by the Chinese, but eventually by most of the nuclear powers. The Nethermancers possessed the ability to communicate telepathically with humans and it was clear their intentions were hostile. Some early attempts were made to reason and negotiate with the Nethermancers, but all these attempts came to disastrous ends.

Many of the investigators and military who were sent into the Basement began experiencing strange illnesses. Eventually it was discovered the Basement could lead to permanent mutation, with humans taking on characteristics of the inhabits of the Basement. These people were dubbed chimera. Some possessed the ability to deal with their mutations, while others succumbed to the Basement’s derangements.

The Comprehensive Test Ban was signed by most of the nuclear powers in 1996. Only North Korea continued to conduct underground nuclear tests into the 2000s. In 2013, North Korea made contact with a powerful cabal of Nethermancers who ruled over large swaths of the Basement. For the first time, humans were able to successfully negotiate with the Nethermancers.

A deal was struck, whereby the North Koreas would work with their allies - who included radicals from Algeria, Pakistan, and Iran - to create additional gates. The gates would be used to allow access for hordes of Nether-beasts to emerge from the Basement and work in concert with their human allies against the other nations of Earth. In 2014 the plan was set into motion, leading to global war.

Nations across the world came together to battle the threat. The United States, Canada, Australia, much of Europe, and China formed the World Alliance, which led the fight against the Nether-beasts and their human allies. During the early years of what came to be called Man’s War, the World Alliance initiated a series of programs under the umbrella term PROJECT CAPRICORN. Some of these programs dated back to early research on the Basement, while others were advanced military weapon systems.

In the end, the World Alliance resorted to nuclear weapons in order to defeat the Nether-beasts. While almost all the gates to the Basement were closed, most of Earth and mankind was destroyed.

The year is 2029. The world lies in ruin. The remnants of humanity fight amongst themselves as well as against the surviving Nether-beasts and the creations that emerged from PROJECT CAPRICORN. Your task is to take control of one of the factions vying for survival and lead them in victory against their enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Aldie wrote:
Burn Out

Best so far.

You need to stop worry about "system" and get a good title on it.

Burn Out (A Skirmish Tactics Game)

Name the game. Name the system. Keep the names separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Lorc wrote:
Hot Glass

Also great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Project Capricorn sounds awesome, so

Skirmish Tactics (title)
Project Capricorn (subtitle)

Like Warhammer 40K - Epic ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toco, if I thought the name Project Capricorn would work for a large audience, that's definitely the route I'd go. It was my original name and it has deep meaning for the backstory for the game.

What does everyone think? Would a name that doesn't directly convey the meaning of the game work? In this case, the name would be:

Project Capricorn
A Skirmish Tactics Game

As an alternative, the name could be something like Project Nova or Project Aurora, or maybe even Project Phoenix, since all of these imply a new beginning or rebirth. I would prefer the name to carry a darker connotation than Aurora might imply, though. So, is there a term that implies a new beginning from dark times?

Eric, you make a lot of good points. I'll work on putting together a very concise rundown of the key theme elements of the game. I hadn't really considered your thoughts on the connotation of the word apocalypse, but I definitely see what you mean. I guess the problem is there there isn't a single word or common phrase that captures a post-apocalyptic future that is more Rifts or Gamma World than Mad Max.

Keep the ideas coming, everyone. I'm loving them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more issue...does it really make sense to say "A Skirmish Tactics Game?" Does that sounds like it's a game by some guy named Skirmish Tactics =) rather than a game that using a core mechanism that will be transferable to other games?

In other words, should the name be something like:

Project Capricorn
A Skirmish Tactics Game

or

Project Capricorn
Skirmish Tactics System
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.