Subject: Ready For A New Order!!!!! Please Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
Okay, it's time to make another game order!
Here is what I have (you can check my profile to see how I rated each game)
Carcassonne
Carcassonne Castle
Tikal
Puerto Rico
Caylus
High Society
Citadels
Tiket To Ride
Settlers of Catan
St Petersburg
Travel Blokus
Lost Cities

And here is what I am looking at purchasing:
Alhambra
Ark of the Covenant, The
Attika
Babel
Balloon Cup
Bang!
Blue Moon
Bohnanza
Carcassonne - The City
Chinatown
Coloretto
Cosmic Encounter
Euphrat & Tigris
Fairy Tale
Hacienda
Hive
Ingenious
Java
Kahuna
Keythedral
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation
Louis XIV
Memoir '44
Mexica
Munchkin
O Zoo le Mio
Odin's Ravens
Plunder
Power Grid
Princes of Florence, The
Queen's Necklace
Ra
Reef Encounter
Samurai
Santiago
Survive!
Through the Desert
Tichu
Torres
Traders of Genoa, The
Trias
Wallenstein

If you can comment on what I want, or suggest something else, please do!
KEEP IN MIND:
I will mostly be playing with 2, sometimes 3-4.
Limited budget, probably only gonna spend $60 or so. Please suggest what I should order!!!

Thanks,
Prince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to narrow it down to about 60 but that is pretty hard with that list. Here are some of my favorites from your list.

Balloon Cup
Euphrat & Tigris
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation
Odin's Ravens
Princes of Florence, The
Reef Encounter
Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nachtrab
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, not only do we own a lot of the same games, but your wishlist is surprisingly close to my own. I haven't played a lot of the ones you're looking at, but off the top of my head here are some thoughts based on your criteria:

Ark of the Covenant, The - I believe this is basically rethemed Carcassonne, which you rate a 6
Balloon Cup - good but needs some of the rule changes described here on BGG
Bang! - great for 4 or more, not for 2. Has player elimination and our games seem to last forever.
Bohnanza - great for 4 or more, not for 2
Ingenious - great game for 2, scales very well to 3 or 4.
Java - just got this yesterday, haven't tried it yet. We love Tikal as well, so hopes are high.
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation - good game but it requires that both players are familiar with all the characters and abilities before it really shines
Memoir '44 - Fantastic
Power Grid - This would be great with 3 or 4, I don't know about 2. Never played 2-player.
Samurai - Like Ingenious, great with 2 and scales well to 3 or 4.
Santiago - need at least 3
Through the Desert - I have mixed feelings about 2-player TtD, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. I definitely prefer 3 or more.
Torres - Great for 2 using the advanced rules. There are significant rule changes between the old and new versions.

For mostly 2 player, I would recommend Samurai, Ingenious, Memoir '44, and Torres. Perhaps Java once I have a chance to play it. I would NOT recommend Bang!, Bohnanza, or Santiago. I love all three games but they don't work well with 2 (I don't think Santiago even has a 2-player variant).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra and Through the Desert both play well with 2 or more and are both must haves IMO. Power Grid is much better with 3-5 players, but possible with 2 and also a great game. With only $60 to spend you can't go wrong with 2 of those 4 games. Ra is wonderful 3 player game and a bargain right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Garrett
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.garrettsgames.com
badge
This week's podcast - Circus Flohcati, Pi Mal Pflaumen, and Pack O Games Set 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorites I'd recommend from your list:

Attika
Balloon Cup
Ingenious
Samurai

All can be played easily with 2 players and scale well (except for Balloon Cup which is 2-player only) and fit with many of your previous game choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the ones off your list I think would be good choices for you

Bohnanza
Power Grid
Princes of Florence, The
Ra
Traders of Genoa, The

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware of Blue Moon. If it turns out you like it as much as i do, be prepared to buy all the decks eventually - well maybe exept for the two Emissaries and Inquisitors decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a big wish list - about the same length as mine

You seem to be open to a lot of different games. That makes it easier to recommend to you. But there are so many good games on your list - that makes it hard to pare down.

Here's my opinion:

Princes of Florence
Ra
Through the Desert

This will give you a nice variety of great games.

Runners up:

Alhambra
Memoir '44
Power Grid
Samurai
Euphrat & Tigris
Attika

Additional games you might want to consider some time:

San Juan
Caylus
Fjords
Goa

If in doubt, look at what people are actually playing:
http://boardgamegeek.com/playstats.php3?action=docustomquery...

To compare prices:
http://boardgameseeker.com/
http://www.michaelareed.com/boardgamesearch/

Keep in mind there are some games on your list I haven't played, so I can't include them in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very unhappy if any of these suddenly weren't in my collection:
Chinatown
Hacienda
Hive
Keythedral
O Zoo le Mio
Power Grid
Reef Encounter
Santiago
Survive!
Tichu
Torres
Traders of Genoa, The
Trias
Wallenstein

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get the following in this order out of your options, which may exceed your price limit by a bit:

1) Euphrat & Tigris - Best eurogame ever in my opinion.
2) Through the Desert - Outstanding game, works very well with 2 players, nice pieces, simple rules, quick, but lots of strategy, and no luck
3) Ra - Amazing auction game
4) Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation - If you like the theme, you'll probably love this 2-player game, plus it's pretty cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I'm thinking mostly about two player games. I like many of the games on your list, but if I choose just a couple for two players... I really enjoy Odin's Ravens and LOTR: The Confrontation. If you are a Carcasonne fan, I think that Carcassone: The Castle is a fine game. I never say no to any of those games. These are lighter fare games, but the more you get to know them, the more subtle the gameplay becomes. Whatever you decide, it's always like a birthday when a box of games shows up on your doorstep. Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's face it: You clearly want to get the greatest number of games you can that you will like for your sixty bucks. Restricting yourself to only 2ers is bad obviously, for when those third and fourth people choose to pop in uninvited. I'm going to merely select five out of your list that will provide sufficient variety and hopefully fit closely within the stated budget, and try for MUCH variety of play: (A game is unfortunately automatically eliminated if it's available on BSW, because you can certainly try before you buy and figure out if you want those.)

Euphrat & Tigris
Mexica
O Zoo le Mio
Survive!
Torres

Of your list, these are the games that I most enjoy scaling from 2 up. I haven't checked prices lately at all, but the first one I'd eliminate on the basis of value as a 2er is the first. Of course it's probably the best game of the five, but hey. Also, depending on your source and my memory, Survive! would probably wipe out most of the 60 bucks instantly. It's the most likely one to scratch off right away and find later when you have played somebody else's copy (convince those other two less frequent players that they should find you a copy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a lot of Alhambra recently. It's good for two players (although you play against a fictional third player named Matt, and it's annoying when he wins). Alhambra is also fun with around four players (it plays 2-6, but becomes increasingly random as more people play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
Thanks, what do you guys think about Keythedral???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Keythedral's a fun game for 3 or more, probably better with as many as it supports. I don't recall playing it with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
Well, that is quite a list! Let me first offer some general advice. One of the biggest mistakes I think some people make is trying to get only games which work well for 2. If you will be playing mostly with two, great, buy some two player games. but when it comes to multi-player games, you will miss out on a lot of the best of them by trying to stick with games for two. That having been said, some games do work great with 2, 3, or 4, and are thus particularly good choices for you.

With regard to the games you've listed, I've played all but 5 or 6 of them, so I suppose I am as qualified to comment as anyone. My top suggestion from your list is Ingenious. It DOES scale well for two, and is also great for three or four (I prefer four played as a partnership game).

Since you love Settlers of Catan, and inquired specifically about it, I'll come out in favor of Keythedral. It has some things in common with settlers, a lot more things different from it, but seems to scratch the same itch for me, only better, perhaps because I've played so much settlers.

Tichu is a good choice if you will be playing a lot with the same four people. It is also inexpensive, so if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost that much. If it DOES work out, you may find yourself playing nothing but Tichu for a long time.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is outstanding for two, and has excellent replay value. You can get the original version fairly inexpensively--maybe pick up someone's copy who is "trading up." I haven't played the deluxe game yet. But it takes some getting used to, similar in some ways to Hera and Zeus (but much better, in my opinion).

Those are my suggestions. Other great games on your list that you probably can't go wrong with include: Ra, Through the Desert, and Caylus. Caylus is great if you like Puerto Rico (not that they are similar) but have trouble with the seating arrangement. If you had caught me on another day, any of those could have made it into my top recommendations for you. Games on your list that I really enjoy, bue am hesitant to recommend since the appeal is less universal, or the replay value seems not as good, include Princes of Florence, Attika (best with two), Santiago, and Reef Encounter.

Good luck! That is a very nice list you have, and I'm sure you'll choose some excellent games. Welcome to boardgamegeek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
thnx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.