Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I wanted to add some of my thoughts to the plethora of reviews here on BGG. At the moment, Battlestar Galactica is the favorite game of my weekly game group and I wanted to start my review by addressing the topics in the subject.

1. Why should I play BSG if games like The Resistance are shorter?

The joy in traitor mechanic games is the tension and uncertainty as the game plays out. In order to really enjoy this, the game needs to have some length. In order to have players be emotionally involved, the game may require some investment, in BSG's case it is time. The length also allows for many events to play out which makes the role-playing experience memorable. Win or lose, I have stories to tell the next day about our playing session.

Recommendation: If you have the time, get BSG.

2. Should I get BSG if I have less than 5 people in my play group?

No. With only one cylon, the tension is lifted as soon as they are found out. The cylon players also do not have to speculate about who the other cylon is or take risks on who they help or trust. We have found that the less uncertainty in the game the less fun. Because of this we use the official "no sympathizer" variant when playing with 6 players(not having control over becoming the sympathizer and knowing who the sympathizer is is not fun; hidden agendas do not fix this for us).

Recommendation: Great with 5, fine with 6.

3. Is this a good game for new players to jump in and play with experienced players?

Yes. We do this almost every time and everyone has a great time. Sure there are some mistakes and learning opportunities, but they often add to the stories that are told outside the game group. The rules can be handled by the more experienced players and "hints" or suggestions could be given to the new players by veteran players playing both sides of the coin as long as they are still able to make their own decisions.

Recommendation: Invite new players to your game!

Well, I didn't want this to turn into a giant step-by-step review, so I hope you found my views on those topics helpful. My group loves this game because we enjoy being social and enjoy telling stories of what happened during "epic games." Not only do more people "win" than the regular board game with one winner, but the entertainment and storytelling value of losing is high. Any randomness or unfairness is overlooked in favor of theme and fun. My final words: If you have more than 4 people and you aren't looking for heavy strategy or a quick game, consider trying BSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your opinion, do new players need to know about the Battlestar Galactica "mythos" before they jump into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 5 players is the sweet spot. You have 2 Cylons for sure and you don't have to worry about the sympathizer.

However, in a 6 player game - usually we use the old sympathizer from the base set. This gives an extra element to the game - getting something to the red.

If you want to make sure the symp. turns out human instead of cylon at half-time, then you have to get a dial into the red. This means letting it get down to the danger zone.

If you are a hidden cylon you are going to try to argue against the logic of this ...saying "no...we can't afford to drop morale ..lets let food drop" - knowing that food drops very slowly and may not make it to the red in time. Or possibly playing cards to pass a skill check and NOT drop morale (if its close to half-time) because they will know you are a hidden cylon after you do that, but it will be worth it if you get a 3rd Cylon to come out.

For me, that is a fun and interesting struggle. If a 3rd Cylon comes out, the game is pretty much over. 3 Cylons vs 3 Humans in the 2nd half is all but impossible for the humans to win.

However, if the team does manage to get a dial to the red - usually Morale as population is too huge a dial and fuel is too crucial to have - then the bad guys have something to focus on. They can try as hard as they can to polish off Morale and win by a dial victory.

The new sympathizer card from the expansion does something wacky, I forget since we haven't used it in so long, but I recommend using the old sympathizer card for a 6 player game and enjoying the struggle that leads up to half-time and whether you purposely let a dial drop to red or not.

This is my favorite game and i've played it about 60 times at this point. I even created a board with ships and people made entirely out of Legos, I like it that much. Playing it 3D gives it even more of a pop!

I am glad your group enjoys this game. It reaaaally does the traitor mechanic right and so far no other game has come close to matching this over-all experience in terms of suspense and depth of actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason why it is okay that Battlestar Galactica is a longer game.

It's not just a traitor mechanic game. It's also a Co-op against the board game with the traitors fully joining the side of the game after the reveal.

With that said, Battlestar is a game that I quickly grow impatient with people that drag out their turns. I allow forgiveness to new players of course. Decisions should be pretty snappy. It shouldn't take more than a handful of seconds for most decisions in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
In your opinion, do new players need to know about the Battlestar Galactica "mythos" before they jump into the game?

IMHO The game stands alone. The tension felt in the game, is the same tension of the first couple seasons of BSG. No knowledge of BSG is needed, beyond Cylons must kill all humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind 3p or 4p BSG for the same reason you don't like it.... with only 1 cylon, you're free to brig, send to sickbay, (or execute in exps) another player without any fear that you're going after your teammate. That frees up inhibitions that make for a different, exciting game.

Another thing with me is BSG is such a hard game to get played that I'm not as picky with having to have exactly 5p all the time.

SJack wrote:

Just make sure you and everyone knows the back story. Also, give a brief description eventually of what all the ship types are, and areas/parts of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate this game as the BEST game I have ever played.

Really close to 100 plays.
It's where I got my Call Sign "Loose Cannon"

JoeM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
SJack wrote:

IMHO The game stands alone. The tension felt in the game, is the same tension of the first couple seasons of BSG. No knowledge of BSG is needed, beyond Cylons must kill all humans.

Someone (on BGG maybe) once said that the only backstory need to know is:
1) The humans have to get to point a to point b
2) There are death-robots who want to kill the humans
c) Some of the players are secretly playing death-robots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people know the backstory because it's the same as the original Battlestar. With the difference that Cylons can look like humans.

Any other themed game that is not based on a show you have to explain the backstory. Battlestar is no different to those that don't know the story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We most often play 6p with the Cylon Leaders from Pegasus. While I agree that 5p seems to be the sweet spot (though I'm looking forward to the Mutineer in the Daybreak expansion), we more often have six, so it's been our choice to use the leader over the Sympathizer or the No Symp variant. Partly this is because a couple of our players really love the game they must play as a leader, but it does mean that the games are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
We most often play 6p with the Cylon Leaders from Pegasus. While I agree that 5p seems to be the sweet spot (though I'm looking forward to the Mutineer in the Daybreak expansion), we more often have six, so it's been our choice to use the leader over the Sympathizer or the No Symp variant. Partly this is because a couple of our players really love the game they must play as a leader, but it does mean that the games are fun.

Having a hard time understanding the last sentence. Does the game seemed balanced with cylon leader instead of sympathizer? Is it more fun or less fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylon leader is a choice instead of someone getting randomly forced to be a sympathizer at sleeper. That alone makes it a better experience.

We, however, as an alternative to sympathizer tend to add a cylon or non-cylon to the loyalty deck at sleeper depending on the state of resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
Having a hard time understanding the last sentence. Does the game seemed balanced with cylon leader instead of sympathizer? Is it more fun or less fun?

Sorry for being incomplete there.

The game seems more balanced and fun with a Cylon Leader than with the Sympathizer (or Sympathetic Cylon) in our opinion. It also feels more fun than the No Sympathizer variant. But 5p is still the sweetest spot.

There ARE issues with the Leader (the agendas can range from "super easy" to "next to impossible" in difficulty), but it's far more fun to know what game you'll be playing from the start rather than forcing someone to switch mid-game. Again we're looking forward to the Daybreak expansion as is looks like the new Motives to replace Agendas will address a lot of our problems with the Leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
GrimThunderbrew wrote:

Sorry for being incomplete there.

The game seems more balanced and fun with a Cylon Leader than with the Sympathizer (or Sympathetic Cylon) in our opinion. It also feels more fun than the No Sympathizer variant. But 5p is still the sweetest spot.

There ARE issues with the Leader (the agendas can range from "super easy" to "next to impossible" in difficulty), but it's far more fun to know what game you'll be playing from the start rather than forcing someone to switch mid-game. Again we're looking forward to the Daybreak expansion as is looks like the new Motives to replace Agendas will address a lot of our problems with the Leaders.
If nothing else, in a 4p or 6p game, no1 wants to play a CL, so they opt for a Symp Cylon. The inevitable amusing part occurs when one person gets hit with the Symp Cylon card, and of course is effectively a CL from then on laugh Oddly enough, 1 situation, they still found the No-symp to be worse though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
Most people know the backstory because it's the same as the original Battlestar.

I think you might want to look up the definition of "most" if you think the majority of Americans know the backstory from a (mercifully) quickly cancelled science fiction TV show from 35 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
Most people know the backstory because it's the same as the original Battlestar.

I think you might want to look up the definition of "most" if you think the majority of Americans know the backstory from a (mercifully) quickly cancelled science fiction TV show from 35 years ago.
If nothing else, do mention that there's a new cylon model that looks human. One "old-tymer" appeared to be utterly confused about cylons because of the lack of that knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
The Old Man wrote:
Dale-not-Chip wrote:

If nothing else, do mention that there's a new cylon model that looks human. One "old-tymer" appeared to be utterly confused about cylons because of the lack of that knowledge.

I chuckled at this. Maybe the cylon is wearing a Groucho Marx disguise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Cardozo
United States
Merion Station
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
Dale-not-Chip wrote:

Heresy. OldBSG is iconic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.