Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As another reviewer mentioned previously, the box is very nice and somewhat custom, but a little odd the way some of the regular cards have to be stacked on the big cards for a good fit. Still, I prefer this size box since the game does not require a bigger one. The components are of very nice quality; you will not be disappointed by what you get for a fairly low price.

On to the gameplay. . .

What I liked:
Multiple uses of cards in your hand
Multiple possible engines and routes to victory
Fast, simultaneous play
Good length of time for a quick strategy game
Theme is different and fun (I haven't "fish, fish, FISHED!" since Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers)
Designers are very nice, helpful and active

What I didn't like:
Setup is a little awkward for 2-3 player (random cards are removed from the deck and have to count 25! cubes per player)
End game is abrupt
Didn't come with the fisheeples I saw in the pictures on BGG soblue

What I don't feel strongly either way about:
Players start with the exact same opening hands
Auctioning mechanic (similar to Power Grid)

Final thoughts:
I like this game and am planning to buy another set since I hear it scales well up to 4 more players with another set. I do not think this will be an "every time" game or a gateway game, but I think it will have its place to come out sometimes for a quick strategy session that can accommodate a wide number of players.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased two copies for just that reason. If you want a set of the fish, they are available from Eagle Games (http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GRY...). Thanks a bunch for the review - I agree with everything you've written!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Gregg!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gregg for the review!
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
I like this game and am planning to buy another set since I hear it scales well up to 4 more players with another set.

How are you planning to use the 2nd set to improve on 2 or 3 player games? Is it just for easier set up or do you mix in additional components?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing the reason for the strange card fit is the Kickstarter stretch goal. One of the stretch goals was bigger licence cards. A larger set of cards without the box getting bigger would make for the weird fit, I'm willing to bet that the box size was set in stone with Gryphon Games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
I'm guessing the reason for the strange card fit is the Kickstarter stretch goal. One of the stretch goals was bigger licence cards. A larger set of cards without the box getting bigger would make for the weird fit, I'm willing to bet that the box size was set in stone with Gryphon Games.


Are the licenses no longer larger? My copy comes with oversized license cards and my copy was not from kickstarter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they will always be the larger size. They were first made the size they are due to the success on kickstarter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend in the publishing business and I know box problems are not the fault of the game designer or publisher. Still, I prefer my games to be very organized and will always express my feelings about the packaging in any review I do. My Magic decks are fit custom to wooden collectible boxes from housewares stores. My BSG has custom tuck boxes for all the card decks. I have sewn bags for random tile drawing in games that do not include one. I am very pleased with the size and quality of the Fleet box; I just feel weird cutting the card deck in half and putting half of it where it slides around when the clearly custom box holds everything else so neatly.

Core worlds is a good example of a large box game that comes with components that could have fit in a Fleet size box!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
Thanks Gregg for the review!
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
I like this game and am planning to buy another set since I hear it scales well up to 4 more players with another set.

How are you planning to use the 2nd set to improve on 2 or 3 player games? Is it just for easier set up or do you mix in additional components?


Oh, maybe I wasn't real clear; the second set is to make it play additional players- especially 6 player. I hear it works great if you just add in half of the licences from the new set and 50 more cubes.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I went back and checked.

30K Stretch Goal - Upgraded License Cards
We are very excited to announce that we have reached the $30K stretch goal and will be able to increase the size of the Fleet license cards! Making them slightly larger than the boat cards will make them stand out and allow for easy reading of the icons and text. This is a great upgrade to Fleet for Kickstarter and production.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a production issue with the insert. Rev 2 will be countersunk as intended so the boat cards will have a recess then the license cards on top
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
There was a production issue with the insert. Rev 2 will be countersunk as intended so the boat cards will have a recess then the license cards on top


That is great how involved you guys are in making OCD gamers like myself happy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
riddlen wrote:
There was a production issue with the insert. Rev 2 will be countersunk as intended so the boat cards will have a recess then the license cards on top


That is great how involved you guys are in making OCD gamers like myself happy.

Great indeed! I guess I'll wait and get 2 copies of 2nd edition then.

Awesome as well for the OCD part. I still can't get over my RDI Pooky expansion that came with tinier money tokens and a super tiny player board.

It's great that you guys listen to gamers and don't just make up excuses.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
Core worlds is a good example of a large box game that comes with components that could have fit in a Fleet size box!


Cable Car is another one that has an odd box. Along with the massive box, it also comes with an insert that baffles me. Why did they divide it into so many sections? I suppose it will remain a good conversation piece when setting it up...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:

It's great that you guys listen to gamers and don't just make up excuses.


Is it O.K. if they listen to gamers then make up excuses?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
BeloW06 wrote:

It's great that you guys listen to gamers and don't just make up excuses.


Is it O.K. if they listen to gamers then make up excuses?

Bingo! There's no point in making up excuses until you listen to what gamers had actually wanted. cool

Oh, and I hope you want a ton more cards. Because the expansion is gonna be pumped full of them.....
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bno70_1 wrote:
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
BeloW06 wrote:

It's great that you guys listen to gamers and don't just make up excuses.


Is it O.K. if they listen to gamers then make up excuses?

Bingo! There's no point in making up excuses until you listen to what gamers had actually wanted. cool

Oh, and I hope you want a ton more cards. Because the expansion is gonna be pumped full of them.....


By more cards, do you mean licenses, boats or others?

How about a deluxe edition that supports up to 6 and comes with the fisheeples? meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimThunderbrew wrote:
bno70_1 wrote:
Dale-not-Chip wrote:
BeloW06 wrote:

It's great that you guys listen to gamers and don't just make up excuses.


Is it O.K. if they listen to gamers then make up excuses?

Bingo! There's no point in making up excuses until you listen to what gamers had actually wanted. cool

Oh, and I hope you want a ton more cards. Because the expansion is gonna be pumped full of them.....


By more cards, do you mean licenses, boats or others?

How about a deluxe edition that supports up to 6 and comes with the fisheeples? meeple

Any sort of boxing, packaging, bundling is all past us as the designers.

Here's an exclusive answer to the questions asked in order:
Yes
Yes
Yes
Would love it but highly doubt it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.