♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Tonight, I'm planning to make a folding scoring board, using mat board and some full-size label stock. In the past, I've done something like this, and I made the board fold by simply slicing it in half, placing them back together, and then sticking a piece of packing tape down the seam. It works fairly well, but it didn't need to be anything fancy.

This one, though, I'd like to look a bit better. Is there some other material I could use to attach the two pieces of the board? It looks like professionally-made boards have a piece of thick cardboard (cardstock?) glued to the two pieces, and then a piece of linen cover the entire back of the board to further secure it. I don't want anything that fancy, but is there something I could use that would be more visually appealing than brown packing tape?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clear packing tape? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a game at a thrift store and cut it down to size leaving the fold where you want it. I especially like Trivial Pursuit boards for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
dominojones wrote:
Buy a game at a thrift store and cut it down to size leaving the fold where you want it. I especially like Trivial Pursuit boards for this purpose.

Good advice.

Failing that, I used to work in a production graphics studio, and when we had large posters that needed to be mounted and hinged, we'd simply score them and use tape for hinges (the heavy-duty, reinforced packing tape - you can get it in black, which will match many boards) as the OP described. It's on the back, so it's not visible - and it's cheap and done right, effective. I just saw one of my old posters from close to twenty years ago, still in use (albeit, a tad faded), so done right, longevity is not a problem.

There's other tricks and methods, but not as relevant to boardgames - unless you want to use very thick boards..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
My local thrift stores usually have the standard games for sale ... for about $8-15. yuk

I'll probably just use some book tape. It's strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Try here:

http://www.bgdf.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t...

http://www.bgdf.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t...

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer spray mounting paper hinges or cloth tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tesa cloth tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Wouldn't the paper hinges tear after repeated use? I was looking for something a little tougher, to resist the tearing that may result from opening and closing the board. I have some clear book tape, which is just a thicker sort of packing tape.

I had thought of using card stock as the reinforcer, and applying it with adhesive spray, but was afraid that even the cardstock would fail, over time. I guess if I applied a cardstock hinge, and then covered the back with a thin piece of cloth, then that would hold up better, but I don't know that I have the skillz to pull that off. I'm not very mechanical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
GeoMan wrote:
Tesa cloth tape.

Yeah, this crossed my mind, too (having repaired books at my first library job, I was familiar with most bookbinding techniques). I just need to see what the cost is for a roll of said tape. Also, I don't want to use something that's terribly obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cook
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get bookbinding tape at most scrapbooking stores. They usually have a good selection and you don't have to buy a whole roll. Might be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
MK-Ultra71 wrote:

Excellent links with great background material - you should tip this guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
For what it's worth I usualy use Gaffers-tape for this type of application.

But I usually have rolls of it lying around from old jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
verive wrote:

What the heck is Gaffers-tape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
verive wrote:

What the heck is Gaffers-tape?

I belive black theater/DJ tape. If my memory serves me right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words:

Duct Tape ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.