Subject: WOULD YOU BUY THIS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the base game and was thinking of buying more.

Now my Obvious choise would have been the Fox game but my usually dealer {and doesn't make that sound a games addiction like a drug addiction} can't get it right now and I shudder to think what the new producing firm will do with it.

He does have the Fury game.
Now looking at the pictures it almost looks like a whole new game.

Am I right in thinking so, or is it still just an expansion that needs most of the stuff from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I own the base game and was thinking of buying more.

Now my Obvious choise would have been the Fox game but my usually dealer {and doesn't make that sound a games addiction like a drug addiction} can't get it right now and I shudder to think what the new producing firm will do with it.

He does have the Fury game.
Now looking at the pictures it almost looks like a whole new game.

Am I right in thinking so, or is it still just an expansion that needs most of the stuff from the base game.

You need the base game to play all the expansions.

My recommendation is to get the Days of the Fox expansion first if you are only going to get just one expansion right now. I know you said your "dealer" can't get it right now, but you might be able to find it from somewhere else. However, that being said, I recommend getting all the expansions eventually. Including the designers book. The latter came out after the Days of the Fox expansion, so includes scenarios for both the base game and base game plus Days of the Fox expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite expansion for Tide of Iron, so I personally wouldn't pass it up. I don't think there's much of an appetite at FFG for more Tide of Iron releases or reprints, so I would get it while I could.

But, the Desert expansion has its fine traits, too.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Fury. Here's why:

#1 Do you already know you are going to want more? If the answer is "yes", then you have your answer.

#2 Everytime someone puts a post here, something from this family of games gets sold. Eventually everything from the Fantasy Flight line will be sold out.

#3 If you don't buy it now, your probably going to want it later. If you end up not wanting it, you can always sell it and probably get most of your money back.

Bottom line: you have very little to lose except the cost of the game in the short run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher you are aware we at 1A Games have licensed Tide of Iron?

we are not planning on massive changes to the game just small tweaks to makes it easier to play.

FFG has no inventory left, we at 1A Games have all the inventory and we do plan on reprinting the Days of The Fox game but we want to get out the Stalingrad Expansion first.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastic news across the board, especially the Stalingrad release.

Did I mention - ESPECIALLY - the Stalingrad release?

I can't wait, and "no," this was all news to me.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small tweaks... Hm thats what they said when they decided not to put those ugly lifeboats on Titanic and we all know how that ended.

Still, let's wait and see....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is good news for ToI. I had pretty much given up on the system. Now I have just given up on FFG.

When it comes time to reprint fury of the bear, that is going to need more than just a few small tweaks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
This is good news for ToI. I had pretty much given up on the system. Now I have just given up on FFG.

When it comes time to reprint fury of the bear, that is going to need more than just a few small tweaks

Really?
Please explain, is something wrong with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half of the scenarios need to re worked. Have found that some are unbalanced to the degree that it is impossible for the other side to win. The setup in at least one dosnt even work, and one of them has units that werent even built at the time the scenario was ment to take place. There are also issues with some rules being unclear such as balkas, the differnt ammo rules, some holes in the rules for the combined deck and some subversion cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I can see how that would be very off-putting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree with Rayguns that days of the fox is probably the best expansion to go with though normandy isnt too bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Small tweaks... Hm thats what they said when they decided not to put those ugly lifeboats on Titanic and we all know how that ended.

Still, let's wait and see....

LOL!

I think 1A Games has already given ToI more attention than FFG, and 1A hasn't even done anything yet!

IMHO, you can't get any worse than what FFG did as far as game support for ToI. With just a little love, ToI can be a top shelf wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to ToI too and I do have the same question: Should I buy Normandy, The Fury of the Bear and Designer's or should I wait for new prints of these games? I mean, all of them are going to be reprinted, or just the Fox expansion?

Stalingrad will be, obviously, an instant buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to wait and see whAt the new guys do with the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freddy, even though this thread is some months old I wanted to let you know that there's a nice little game store in Nijmegen (Moenen en Mariken) which still has the entire line of ToI in stock.

So if you haven't been able to find Days of the Fox or the Scenario Guide yet, you could still get it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danke Kai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! I'm glad if it helps you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Curmudgeon wrote:
[q="sagitar"]IMHO, you can't get any worse than what FFG did as far as game support for ToI. With just a little love, ToI can be a top shelf wargame.

It's a year and a half later but i'm just now reading this post. IMHO you can get worse. How about WotC/AH completely walking away from A&A Miniatures with ZERO support. At least ToI has 1A games to pick up the ball and keep running with it thank goodness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.