Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain to me what the rules are for adding water tiles? I am confused because it says firstly that:

Quote:
The sides of any tiles that are placed adjacent to each other: road, no road and water, must match.

but then it goes on to say:

Quote:
Note that boat tiles (including the four summer boats) do not have to be placed so that the water sides connect.

Aren't the only water tiles the home tiles and the boat tiles? What am I missing?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
It means you're allowed to place a boat tile such that it's connected to your town by land, not necessarily water. So you could have more than one river section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think I've got it. You can use the land side of the boat tiles to place next to land, but if you use the water side it has to be placed adjacent to water, is that it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shmello50 wrote:
OK, I think I've got it. You can use the land side of the boat tiles to place next to land, but if you use the water side it has to be placed adjacent to water, is that it?
Same as the other sides: field against field, road against road, river against river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.

BTW in this game unlike some others, you don't have to connect buildings to your village via roads, connecting via open land is just fine. That's one of those rules that isn't there but some people might assume it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Shmello50 wrote:
Same as the other sides: field against field, road against road, river against river.

Thanks. That's what I understood but then I got confused by the second section I quoted. I thought it was some special exception (i.e., in this case the water sides don't need to connect, which made no sense because these are the only water tiles you add) but it was just clarifying that you can use the land sides of the tiles to connect as well as the water sides (which need to follow the normal connection rules).

Sometimes the strangest things get me mixed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew the answer because when I read that rule I had to think for a minute what it might be trying to tell me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Yep.

BTW in this game unlike some others, you don't have to connect buildings to your village via roads, connecting via open land is just fine. That's one of those rules that isn't there but some people might assume it is.

But beware that you can't move resources over open land - they have to be moved by roads (unless you have the boat that bypasses this rule).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
Friendless wrote:
Yep.

But beware that you can't move resources over open land - they have to be moved by roads (unless you have the boat that bypasses this rule).

Thanks for the reminder on that - I had a question pop up this weekend about that when we were placing our final tiles (the player order tiles in winter) where the adjacency does make a difference point wise, since it did not affect the order of finish we made the wrong assumption and did not allow it - now we know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.