StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be over thinking this... whistle

Let me start by saying I think RS-BS is the best gladiatorial system I've used for quick fast paced combat resolution... With little effort it really conveys a lot of detail and narrative.

Having backed Arena Rex and liking its damage tree mechanic (which reflects the gladiators fighting style) I began to take a closer look at RS-BS to see what could be tinkered with for better/improved realisim(?).

I first started pondering the results distribution of two d6 dice.
7 having the highest probability
8 & 6 having the next highest
9 & 5 next
10 & 4...
11 & 3...
12 & 2 having the lowest probability

The current RS-BS hit distributions are:
2 Leg Lower Right
3 Leg Lower Left
4 Arm Left
5 Arm Right
6 Chest Front
7 Chest Back
8 Belly Front
9 Belly Back

10 Head
11 Leg Upper Left
12 Leg Upper Right

Should the bolded results be the most probable points of attack?
I guess it depends on fighting styles and how extended a gladiator gets.

Trying to over-think gladiatorial fighting in general I tried to figure out where the most common hits/targets would be. My initial thought was for center of mass, the chest... However if I was standing and facing a right handed opponent with a shield then he would likely be leading with his left foot and left shoulder... Would the center of mass be my target? What if I am left handed? We would then be mirroring each other... Then we have to consider the gladiator armor and weapons... Then fighting styles... See, I'm really over thinking this...

So here is my swing at a revised hit chart:
2 Critical Hit - knocked Down - Bleeding
3 Chest Rear
4 Belly Front
5 Left Leg (higher value is odd = Upper leg)
6 Left Arm
7 Chest Front
8 Right Arm
9 Right Leg (higher value is odd = Upper leg)
10 Head
11 Belly Rear
12 Critical Hit - Standing - Bleeding

On critical hits roll again for location
Compare each gladiators strength if attacker is stronger subtract the difference from the hit location.
If another critical hit is rolled for the location determination then a killing stroke was made.

Non-Critical Hits continue to the Damage Table then to the Damage Results Table as usual.

Another issue I have is that RS-BS has no mechanic for aiming an attack.
I think a gladiator should be able to state a specific target point.
If he hits it on the 2d6 roll then he gets +1 hit on the Damage Table.
If he misses he can spend one bonus die to alter one of the hit dice by one point up or down (not more than 6 or less than 1, and not resulting in a critical hit). So if he aims for the chest and rolls a 6 + 3 = 9 (Right Leg) he can then change the 3 to a 4 for a 10 (resulting in a hit to the head).

Any thoughts on either of these ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very fascinating. I've tried to look at this same issue for other rulesets. My starting point was what parts of a gladiator, on average, were most heavily armoured, and therefore might indicate where and attack might come from.

Going from first to last in protection is;

1 Head
2 Leg (leading)
3 Arm (with weapon)
4 Lower torso (eg protected by thick balteus belt)
5 Upper torso (chest, normally never protected)

This seemed to make sense with a shielded gladiator (especially against larger shields), the shield would protect the chest, so the attacker would have to go high for the head, or low for the leg. The right arm with the weapon would also be a target as the arm would need to be extended beyond the the shield protection to attack with a sword.

Interestingly, the Retiarius, usually considered to be light, will still have a greave on the leading leg, and the galerus will protect the attacking arm, and shield the head from sword swings from a right handed oppponent. Somehow, chests, usually universally unprotected (unless the rare crupellarius or cataphractarius) must have been difficult to get to.

So, on a 2d6 distribution, I think the most common attacks would be against the most heavily armoured sections, so the head might be 7, arm and leg migght be 8 and 6, etc.

A bit of a morbid subject, but that's my 2 cents worth....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agonized over creating different hit tables based on the gladiator class and armoring... I thought that would make the process cumbersome and slowdown play.

Don't forget armor is already accounted for in the hit location table and on the damage table (see my posted player reference in the files section) and fighting style is accounted for in the character generation process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crow Barr
msg tools
Took the first idea, messed it about a little for my own purposes.

2 Critical Hit
- Knocked Down - Bleeding
3 Right Leg
4 Right Leg Upper
5 Right Arm
6 Left Arm
7 Chest Front
8 Belly Front
9 Left Leg Upper
10 Left Leg
11 Head
12 Critical Hit
- Standing - Bleeding

Then used three shield types, Very small, Small and Large.

Very small blocks 7
Small blocks 6,7,8
Large blocks 5,6,7,8,9

Then I was trying to implement a kind of "shield moving" system, enabling a gladiator to move their shield up or down 1 slot, so a very small shield could block 6,7 or 8 depending on it's placement.

I was thinking after a confirmed hit, if it was within one hit location of a shield, you could attempt a "GREAT BLOCK!" which would impress the crowd, and maybe save you from being hit.

Maybe roll 1d6 vs opponents speed?
Or a 2d6 savvy test?

Pass 2d6 Make the block
Pass 1d6 Make the block but suffer -1 attack next round?
Pass 0d6 Suffer hit

I don't really know about the last bit, and with so much blocking on my tables it might result in no one getting hit, which is why I thought about implementing a reroll idea on the Attack result table.

If you succeed by 4 dice, DEF forced 1 square away, Bash attack victim knocked down, ATT scores hit, +1 successes on dmg table, 1 hit location reroll.

Succeeding by 5 dice on the attack result table would gain 2 rerolls on the hit location table, so maybe this would help with the extra blocking in this idea of mine.

Or it could all be overly complicated or just unbalanced. It's three am, so I'm not expecting too much.

This isn't taking left handed fighters into account, just righty vs righty.

Also considered a slightly different table

2 Chest Front/Back
3 Right Leg
4 Right Leg Upper
5 Right Arm
6 Left Arm
7 Head
8 Belly Front/Back
9 Left Leg Upper
10 Left Leg
11 Head
12 Critical Hit - Standing/Knocked Down - Bleeding

Kinda crams it all in, but gets more of the armoured locations in there.

Still, I'm just spitballing ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.