Subject: clarification on "Forge" card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Gordon
United States
Pilot mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
forge states: Trash any number of cards from your hand. Gain a card with cost exactly equal to the total cost in coins of the trashed cards.

does the cost mean 1$ per trashed cards or 1$ equal to the total number of $s on the trashed cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cost of trashed cards, eg. Copper ($0) + Copper ($0) + Estate ($2) = $2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Total $ of the trashed cards. So if you trashed a Copper (cost $0), 2 Silvers (cost $3 each), and an Estate (cost $2) with Forge, you would gain a card costing $8 (0 + 2x3 + 2 = 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. Costing *exactly* eight of course. No gaining 7 or 6 cost cards in the described scenario.

Montebanc (no relation, but I hope there's a con artist GUILD? *grin*)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further, this applies to the modified costs of both the trashed and the gained cards. So if you play three Highways, the Silver you trashed is the same as a Copper (getting you zero), but Province costs only five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also ignore any potions in the costs of the trashed cards. Forge only cares about coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
Also ignore any potions in the costs of the trashed cards. Forge only cares about coins.

And you can never gain any Potion-cost cards with it.

And remember that if you don't trash any cards at all, the total cost is $0, so you MUST gain a card costing $0 in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... and you are allowed to trash cards with a total value that doesn't match a price point in the current game, thus gaining nothing, such as trashing 2 Estates when no 4-coin cards exist or trashing 2 Estates and a Silver when no 7-coin cards exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
...or trashing 2 Estates and a Silver when no 7-coin cards exist.

Although this situation is unlikely to obtain unless you got your Forge out of the Black Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
...or trashing 2 Estates and a Silver when no 7-coin cards exist.

Although this situation is unlikely to obtain unless you got your Forge out of the Black Market.

Well, the Forge pile could be exhausted. Which is more unlikely? They're both highly improbable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it so unlikely that you'd trash two Estates and a Silver with a Forge that you got from the Black Market?

I could easily see it happening if the only $4 card was worthless or undesirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Why is it so unlikely that you'd trash two Estates and a Silver with a Forge that you got from the Black Market?

I could easily see it happening if the only $4 card was worthless or undesirable.

It's unlikely to come up at all. You're playing Black Market. And the Forge happens to come up. And you happen to be able to afford it. And it happens to be better for your strategy than the other two cards that come up (Black Market/Forge isn't an obvious synergy). And then you happen to draw it with several weak cards that you don't associate with a deck that can afford a $7 card. And you haven't managed to Forge them away yet.

And even if all those things happen, what exactly is your hand? Forge, Estate, Estate, Silver is only four cards. Is there another card we don't know about? Did you play other cards previously in the hand? If so, why didn't you Forge them instead? Or did you discard a card, and if so, why did you leave yourself with a sub-optimal hand?

Highly improbable.

And if it did happen to come up, and if there did happen to be no $4 worth getting, there's always the possibility of trashing Estate/Silver to get a $5 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. I see the confusion. I'm answering the question pertaining to what happens when the card is played under unusual circumstances for the benefit of the OP while you are trying to explain that unusual situations aren't likely to occur, so they should be ignored. Jeff, I totally didn't expect that out of you, bro.

Who cares how we got to the point of no cards of a particular price point remaining? It can happen. And when it does, someone trying to understand Forge should know that cards with prices totaling that amount can still be trashed by Forge and no card is gained as a result.

Before I said it on this thread, no-one else did. Why argue against it? It is correct. And helpful.

I might also have said that if you trash two Golds together (without any price modification), you'd gain nothing. That's also unlikely. But I'm not trying to tell people what to do. They can figure out for themselves why they wouldn't want to do it, once they understand the correct way to handle the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Before I said it on this thread, no-one else did. Why argue against it? It is correct. And helpful.

It is correct. It is helpful. It is unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.