Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question we haven't managed to find an official answer on:

If I produce a resource needed for my build, can I still choose to buy it from a neighbour instead?

Obviously there'd normally be no reason to do this, but last night someone had a card combination that netted him a profit whenever he bought a resource.

The nearest we could find were specific rules for the two-player game and team game, but nothing general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really interesting combination. Can you share what that combination might be?

My take on this is you are allowed to buy the resource from a neighbour instead.

Assuming it is allowed, your neighbour also gained over all of the other players (in the form of receiving some money). So it was a situation of no monetary gain for everyone vs some monetary gain for yourself and the neighbour, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
That's a really interesting combination. Can you share what that combination might be?

I think it was Hatshepsut (once per turn, get 1 coin from the bank when you buy a resource from your neighbour) plus Berenice (once per turn, get 1 extra coin whenever you get coins from the bank). So each turn he bought a resource, he got two coins from the bank. Add in one of the ways to get a discount on buying resources, and you're in profit.

Yeoster wrote:
Assuming it is allowed, your neighbour also gained over all of the other players (in the form of receiving some money). So it was a situation of no monetary gain for everyone vs some monetary gain for yourself and the neighbour, right?

Yeah, he and his neighbour both ended up with loads of coins, and his neighbour had the Gamer's Guild as well.

The neighbour built very little except every resource he could, plus the leaders and yellow cards that gave him VPs for resources, and some guilds at the end. It was a strange game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the English rules, page 4 - "To construct (a card), the player must produce the corresponding resources AND/OR buy them from one of his or her two neighbouring cities ... To build a structure, a player's city must produce the resources indicated on its card ... often, a player will want to build a structure requiring resources he or she does not produce ... if these resources are produced by a neighbouring city, the player will be able to purchase the missing resources through commerce."

From that wording I would say that despite the opening clause implying that there is a choice between using your own resources or buying them, the more detailed rules strongly imply that you only buy if you don't have resources of your own to build with. From which I would infer the rule to be "you cannot buy from a neighbour unless you have to".

Just my opinion, based on what the rules say, and there are many occasions when the designers meant the game to be played differently to what is set out in the rule book, but its the only sensible answer I can provide in the absence of something definitive from Repos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Yeoster wrote:

I think it was Hatshepsut (once per turn, get 1 coin from the bank when you buy a resource from your neighbour) plus Berenice (once per turn, get 1 extra coin whenever you get coins from the bank). So each turn he bought a resource, he got two two coins from the bank. Add in one of the ways to get a discount on buying resources, and you're in profit.

That would be something like "Trading Post West" plus "Clandestine Dock West".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also had this problem, so I've asked the designer himself:

Quote:

Quote:
Reid666 wrote:

Hello Antoine,

Here I have just few more question about 7 Wonders rules, its expansions and some rare interactions:

1. Hatchepsut + Trading post + Clandestine dock. This combination makes your first buy free and provides you with 1 extra coin from the bank?

If the answer is YES, then:

2a. Can you decide to buy resource instead of using your own resources?

2b. Can you decide to buy resource instead of building for free from a chain?

2c. Can you decide to buy resource instead of using Catan board base power ( if it wasn't used this turn)

Hi,

1. YES
2a. You have to use your own resources in the first place.
2b. You have to build for free if you can.
2c. You have to use Catan

To make it short, you have to use your own ressources/abilities if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, having this combination, would pay off if you do not build the resources, sort of like a leech city. Interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that while this isn't discussed in the vanilla game or Leaders, it is spelled out in the Cities rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
I also had this problem, so I've asked the designer himself:

Quote:

Quote:
Reid666 wrote:

Hello Antoine,

Here I have just few more question about 7 Wonders rules, its expansions and some rare interactions:

1. Hatchepsut + Trading post + Clandestine dock. This combination makes your first buy free and provides you with 1 extra coin from the bank?

If the answer is YES, then:

2a. Can you decide to buy resource instead of using your own resources?

2b. Can you decide to buy resource instead of building for free from a chain?

2c. Can you decide to buy resource instead of using Catan board base power ( if it wasn't used this turn)

Hi,

1. YES
2a. You have to use your own resources in the first place.
2b. You have to build for free if you can.
2c. You have to use Catan

To make it short, you have to use your own ressources/abilities if you can.

Huh... just like for the 8p team game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That raises another question: can you buy a resource you do not need? Like you're building something for Glass and Wood (which your city produces), and you buy Papyrus from one of your neighbours to, you know, benefit from Hatshepsut + Trading Post + Clandestine Dock. Nothing in the rulebook prevents you from doing so, even in the team play rules. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paweł, that's good point

I would quess that answer would not, that you cannot.
Just following the spirit of the rules, you can't buy something that you can produce yourself or something that you don't need.

At least that's how I would interpret that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got time to look this up, but I'm SURE there is a clarification in either the Leaders or Cities rulebook that says this sort of frivolous trading is forbidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
I haven't got time to look this up, but I'm SURE there is a clarification in either the Leaders or Cities rulebook that says this sort of frivolous trading is forbidden.
for the 8p team game, the Cities rules say you can only commerce if you can't produce the resources on your own. By extension, I'm going to assume it applies to this thread as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.