Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems interesting to me and I might pick it up sooner than later. I have one issue though.. How long does the base game hold up until you need to buy expansions? Being a LCG I guess this game is created in such a way it would eventually force players to expand..
You thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can easily get 10+ games in with just the base game, even more. There are 4 different solo decks to try out, 3 quests. Just this means you have 12 games at least to play through. After that, you will mix and match the decks, get into the deckbuilding aspect and you will get at least 10-20 more games.

If you enjoy the game -and you will know this after the first or second play- you will get the expansions for sure, we all did

Just dont get them all at once, since there are a lot of cards available now, it may cause a bit of information overload when you have to make a 60card deck from about 1000+ cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
Being a LCG I guess this game is created in such a way it would eventually force players to expand..
You thoughts?

Bingo! You just nailed the LCG concept. The real question is "How many expansions does it take to make the game complete enough to not need anymore expansions?"

My personal answer was the first two Mirkwood expansions. That's as far into FFG's LCG Middle Earth i need to go. ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
This game seems interesting to me and I might pick it up sooner than later. I have one issue though.. How long does the base game hold up until you need to buy expansions?

I probably played 30 games with the base set only. Playing with 1 or 2 players makes a big difference and certainly adds to the replayability.

There are quite a lot of fan-produced quests which are available as free downloads. If you fancy doing this, that's a lot more quests for you to play with no more expenditure required.

Quote:
Being a LCG I guess this game is created in such a way it would eventually force players to expand..
You thoughts?

If you get into the game, you will certainly want to get access to the additional player cards which are available in the expansions, as they will let you build more interesting and powerful decks. Unfortunately, there are only a few new player cards per expansion, so even buying several expansions doesn't give you all that many new cards to build your decks with. To build the most powerful player decks, you would need to buy almost all the expansions, which is expensive. It's almost as if they planned it that way!

That having been said, if you like the game, it does have a lot of replayability. A friend and I got into the game about 18 months ago and we have played far more LotR since then than any other game we own - so, on a cost per hours of play basis, the game has worked out much cheaper than some of the board games we have bought and only played a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Osborne
England
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been the only game I have played in the last few weeks and that is just with the base set.

The really nice thing from my POV is the portability - pull out the quest cards, the location decks for the quest and a player deck and there is not a lot you need to carry round to play a game.

So ideal for lunchtime gaming at my desk.

As for expansions, the Shadow of Mirkwood cycle appears to be sold out everywhere in the UK - so not really an option at this time and I would like to look at them relatively incrementally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The great thing about this LCG is that you can go at your own pace. The base game (and the 'box' expansions) has 3 quests, and every expansion has 1 quest. Pick up the base, play it a lot until you're bored and want more. Then pick up just 1 expansion, play that quest a few times over until you're bored. You definitely don't need it all up front, and I can't think of any single expansion you *need*, so you can quite easily go at your own pace.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shnar wrote:
... Then pick up just 1 expansion, play that quest a few times over until you're bored. ...

Not only that. After you are done with the new quest, take the player cards from the new expansion and go back to play the earlier quests. You can approach the earlier quests different ways using a few cards from an additional expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The user made expansions are very good and Core set with both Hobbit expansions offer a really big amounth of player cards. After that go to the Mirkwood. I have ccg backround and I was really deperately in need of having for more player cards after a couple of weeks. It was about half way of Mirkwood cycle (so 3-4 expansion) and 3 core set untill I feel like I have some controll of building decks that I really liked. But the game is very playable even with one core set, exspecially if you use those fan made scenarios, that are very good and are not too difficult even with limited amount of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer to your title... Yes!

Think of the core set like you'd think of a Magic: The Gathering Starter deck. It's really only useful for learning how to play the game and giving you a starter card pool to work with.

Though some of the core set cards are really good, and still popularly used in decks to this day, the scenarios are kind of bland and un-imaginative compared to the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't NEED to buy expansions to play the game. I'm up to 40 games with just the core set alone. Depending on what type of player you are, it can last a while or go really quickly. The game comes with 3 scenarios that you play through. At first 3 doesn't sound like much. But considering each scenario gets exponentially more difficult, you spend a lot of time replaying through the later scenarios until you can beat it. I don't list that as a fault of the game, but rather it's a game where you have to spend time learning it. The first scenario has the lowest difficulty, so it's a good quest to replay numerous times to learn the game flow and mechanics and to familiarize yourself with the different decks and player cards.

But the core set really serves as mostly an introduction to the game with some essential cards and components. It's enough to get you started playing the game and I think it plays just fine, if not optimally. Like any card game, it's never "complete". But by the time you get enough out of the core set, you'll know if you like the game enough to buy expansions or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.