Subject: It might be a cultural thing... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Just Lucky
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
... but I don;t understand the theme.

I have read the rules and the basic set of cards and this looks like a great game. But what is the theme?

In love letter holding a card meant that that person was holding your letter. I don't see what holding a card represents here when it can either be a person or an action.

I am really going to try to get this game but if anyone could explain the theme to me I might stand a better chance of getting it to table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
What does a card represent in canasta, euchre, or bridge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah probably cultural. The Japanese themes are never understandable. This is why they are AWESOME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme totally doesn't matter. My friends and I have already rethemed Love Letter as Godzilla, Venture Bros, Breaking Bad, and Adventure Time. It's just a fun little game of deduction and ladder climbing.

Note, I'm talking about the original Love Letter, but this one looks to have basically the same mechanics. I'm sure once I buy this I'll do my own re-skinning of it to match something that appeals to me. The Office, maybe? NASCAR? Anything works to where you have someone wanting to get to the front of something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the card items and manga style, it looks like valuable item(s) that were lost to mankind and now a bunch of explorers are trying to find it/them.

One of them is a Starship and the other a Flying Garden, like Laputa, Castle in the Sky.

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Lucky
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Steve. That seems to make sense. If only they could have put that in the rules somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a (the?) girl of fate, a general, a female thief, and a swordsman (in a starship!) are searching for a lost legacy, all the while attacking and ambushing each other?

I was about to say that it didn't make a lot of sense, but actually it does sound somewhat similar to the plot of Laputa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Li
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just_Lucky wrote:
Thanks Steve. That seems to make sense. If only they could have put that in the rules somewhere.

They did... in Japanese. They just didn't bother to translate them to English.

Here is the full translation (with the story page)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.