Subject: [Classic Rules] Many Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Ruigrok
Netherlands
Meppel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Classic Rules: Last weekend we played Conquest of the Empire for the first time. The game took us about 5 hours with 4 players. We all agreed it is a magnificent game and we will surely play it more often.
But I have to admit that I have seldom played a game in which we had so many rule questions. Yesterday I saw the FAQ on this great website, which answered some of my questions. But some questions still remain:
1. Is it allowed for a leader and a cavalry unit to walk through an area which is vacant except for an ownership marker in another color? The rulebook only states: A Legion (including any accompanying Leaders) must stop its movement if it moves into a space occupied by enemy land Combat Units. If the answer is no, then I have the following question: Is it allowed for a leader and a cavalry unit to walk through an area which is completely vacant?
2. Is it allowed to move my leader and a combat unit to an area which is completely vacant, and then move on with my leader to another area (or back to the area it came from), thus leaving my combat unit alone in a neutral area? Has that area then become my territory?
3. Is it allowed to move my leader alone (i.e. without any combat units) to an area which is: a) completely vacant, b) vacant except for an ownership marker in another color, or c) occupied by enemy land Combat Units?
4. Does a legion have to disembark when a galley moves to a coastal region? Or can the legion stay on the ship?
5. If the legion can stay on the ship, can that legion be attacked from the land by other legions?
6. Can a galley that is in a costal region (province) be attacked by another galley? If so, both galleys must be in that coastal region or can the attacking galley be on the adjacent sea area?
7. A pure hypothetical one – thus far: What happens if my galley enters a sea region in which there are already two galleys of 2 other players? If I attack, do I attack both galleys at the same time?

Remark about inflation:
Finally, in one of the former topics it was stated that in their 5 player game nobody got more than 115 talents. Well, in our 4 player game the Macedonia player quickly reached the 100 talents limit of inflation, but soon after dropped to about 80 talents. Only at the end of the game the winner reached about 115 talents, which was actually when he captured one of the Ceasars. About the inflation of 100%, I think the most important consequence is that one player can only do half of the things who could do before, due to lack of money. So in fact it’s best to do nothing in your first turn but collecting money and buy new troops (and some troops moving), and in your next turn go for a battle. This means that the downtime between two turns decreases, which speeds up the game.
I’m afraid however that with six players the 100 talents limit will never be reached – but I’m sure experienced players can tell me more about that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kuhn

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you are enjoying the game.

1. Yes, a Legion may move through a vacant space. However, moving through that space does not change control; you're just passing through.

2. As a movement possibility, you can make the move you describe (Move a Legion into a vacant space, drop off the unit, and exit with the leader.) However, as stated above, this does not change the control of the previously vacant space. To obtain control, you must end your move with a Legion in the desired space. (p. 9)

3. (a) and (b) are allowed, (c) is not. That is, you may move a lone Leader unit into a vacant province (control is irrelevant), but not into a province where enemy troops reside.

4. The Legion must disembark. This prevents all sorts of "gamey" movement issues and difficulties.

5. Can't happen.

6. No; galleys in a (coastal) land space may not be attacked by other galleys in any way. They may be destroyed by enemy land forces.

7. The moving player picks one opponent; the other player is not involved in this combat.

Best wishes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Ruigrok
Netherlands
Meppel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the answers. The rules make sence now for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Whaley
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am coming into this discussion two years too late, but I don't quite understand the rationale of making it possible to end a turn with a combat unit occupying an enemy province, yet still have that province under control of another player with no units in it. Is this a balance issue, i.e., you are concerned that people will be able to blitzkrieg through vast territories in a short time period?

It seems like this rule unnecessarily adds to the length of the game. In my opinion a player should be penalized for leaving their province(s) empty. I admittedly have not played the game both ways enough to know how the balance would be affected; it just seems odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.