Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
See http://www.theonion.com/articles/citing-battle-of-agincourt-....

Even though this one is just another parody by The Onion, can you think of any sports stars (or broadcasters) who have made comparisons of athletic competition to famous, historical battles?

I know there have been some (usually involving the Alamo, I'd guess), but can't put my finger on specific ones. I remember Howard Cosell used to love saying things like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This immediately sprang to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
No specifics but it seems guys covering NFL games cannot resist all the war imagery.

Which George Carlin famously parodied here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Garnett was ready for war. He just didn't specify which one. I would have given him style points if he said something like, "I got my short sword, my shield...I have the ballista loaded and I've got rowers ready on the triremes, and the corvus is ready!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Miller is known for his obscure references, sometimes historical. This remained true for his stint as color man on Monday Night Football. Some quotes I found from the internet (only one of which was war-related, but I'm sure there are more):

"I haven't seen anyone rely on the ground game this much since the battle of Verdun."

"Of *course* he needs to renegotiate his salary -- the guy buys more snow than Seward did when he bought Alaska from the Russians."

"When the hell is Warren Moon going to retire? I mean, this guy is older than the cuneiform in Nebuchadnezzar's tomb."

EDIT: verb tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live in a community where some parents got upset when they found out their kids were being taught how to play chess in school. They were upset about some of the language that was used. Words like "attack" and "kill". They asked the school to try to use non-warlike terms, especially in this "post-9/11 world".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
I used to live in a community where some parents got upset when they found out their kids were being taught how to play chess in school. They were upset about some of the language that was used. Words like "attack" and "kill". They asked the school to try to use non-warlike terms, especially in this "post-9/11 world".

A bridge too far, it would seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

Umm, "approach" and "gently remove from the board"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

What I learned, in my years of open houses and parent-teacher meetings, is that if you think somebody at work is an idiot, just wait until you hear him or her talking about their child with school employees. You have no idea what idiocy they're capable of, before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

We need to do what the military does and use words like 'defend' and 'liberate'. "He defended my castled position, and once he liberated my Queen it became hopeless and I resigned." This can apply to Go, too. "In four moves I liberate your central group, and there's nothing you can do about it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.