Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well add-ons have to be things people are willing to pay for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make more sense if we weren't getting any elemental figures to begin with. They should have made all the elementals an add-on then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
It would make more sense if we weren't getting any elemental figures to begin with. They should have made all the elementals an add-on then.

And give us less free stuff? Yeah, that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's dumb to split them up. They could have at least included them in a higher pledge level

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
It's dumb to split them up. They could have at least included them in a higher pledge level

You don't need the Elemental Boss to have Elemental minions in play. Maybe the Skeleton boss did his magic and created the elementals to fight with him.

The value of the Captain and Apprentice pledges is already so ridiculous that any complaints are just weak sauce IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

your voice is in the minority here,..... I don't think that you're going to get any sympathy.

Every comment that you have made about this game has been negative. Do you like anything about the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

your voice is in the minority here,..... I don't think that you're going to get any sympathy.

Every comment that you have made about this game has been negative. Do you like anything about the game?

I think the Darkness Mechanic and way the hero cards work is very interesting. I am skeptical because it's a lot of money for an unfinished game so I have to be skeptical. I'm not one to blindly purchase something.

I really want to like the game but have to be cautious. I wish the videos did a better job but they are so boring I could barely finish half of them. I respect they have been play testing it for a long time so that is good but considering these videos were supposed to "sell" me on the game, well they didn't.

I guess my biggest hesitation is the lack of story/rpg elements. I already have a lot invested in Zombicide so I don't really need another miniature game but it theory MYTH is more in depth I was hoping it would have similar elements with Mice and Mystics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not purchasing, you're investing.

That's what Kickstarter is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not obligated to give you ANYTHING as a free add on.
No where does it say they HAD to give you free elementals.
Or free rats, skeletons, etc.

So you have to pay extra for one thing you want?
Compared to the value of what they are giving you free as a thank you?

Sorry, can't agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I really want to like the game but have to be cautious. I wish the videos did a better job but they are so boring I could barely finish half of them. I respect they have been play testing it for a long time so that is good but considering these videos were supposed to "sell" me on the game, well they didn't.

The thing you don't get is that there is a massive difference between boring and informative. The videos are there to show you the mechanics. They are not there to be an ad campaign for the game. The fact is you will NOT know how fun it is until you unbox it and them giving the false perception of how fun a game is isn't going to help them sell it on KS or after the fact.

Entertainment value of the videos shouldn't even be a factor. Even if they were entertaining, you'd complain about how they didn't demonstrate solo play. You'll find something to criticize no matter what happens so why should they even bother? Why should we for that matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

The thing you don't get is that there is a massive difference between boring and informative. The videos are there to show you the mechanics. They are not there to be an ad campaign for the game. The fact is you will NOT know how fun it is until you unbox it and them giving the false perception of how fun a game is isn't going to help them sell it on KS or after the fact.

Entertainment value of the videos shouldn't even be a factor. Even if they were entertaining, you'd complain about how they didn't demonstrate solo play. You'll find something to criticize no matter what happens so why should they even bother? Why should we for that matter?

Then don't. I ended up getting the captain pledge because you're right, I won't know how fun it is until I play it but I am not alone on thinking the videos suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chubber911 wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

I have to strongly disagree. I see this logic used repeatedly when the kickstarter topic comes up, but I think it is just wrong. I am making a retail purchase, and paying up front for a pre-order. Just because it appears on kickstarter doesn't suddenly transform this exchange of money-for-product into something else.

If pledging on kickstarter is an investment, then paying my phone bill for the month upcoming also is.

Have you followed the Katalyka story? Those poor sods will probably never see the game or their money. Once you start thinking of Kickstarter as a preorder, you are overlooking the potential for disappointment.

In this case, I don't think there is anything to worry about though. MERCs seem pretty solid as a company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Agreed with this. I've only backed a handful of projects, but I have never seen the sheer amount of stretch rewards offered with this project. It dwarfs Greater than games with their Sentinels of the Multiverse projects and that's really saying something. It's pretty neigh impossible to complain about what you're not getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
chubber911 wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

I have to strongly disagree. I see this logic used repeatedly when the kickstarter topic comes up, but I think it is just wrong. I am making a retail purchase, and paying up front for a pre-order. Just because it appears on kickstarter doesn't suddenly transform this exchange of money-for-product into something else.

If pledging on kickstarter is an investment, then paying my phone bill for the month upcoming also is.

Have you followed the Katalyka story? Those poor sods will probably never see the game or their money. Once you start thinking of Kickstarter as a preorder, you are overlooking the potential for disappointment.

In this case, I don't think there is anything to worry about though. MERCs seem pretty solid as a company.
This one, I have to DISAGREE with. I do see Kickstarter as a pre-order program, but with a caveat. You are pre-ordering, but you are taking a risk. If you pre-order through, say, Amazon or directly from a publisher, there is usually some kind of contract in place to protect you if the goods aren't delivered. Here, that's not the case and as long as you're willing to assume the risk, then there should be no problem in viewing it as such. The reason I can't view it as an investment, as some claim it be, is that you're not looking for your pledge to appreciate in value. When you invest in something, your looking for it to pay off with an increase. You're not doing that here. Your pledging money for a set amount of goods and that's it. Thus, I cannot view it as an investment. Supporting an up-and-coming and/or small company, sure. But not an investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Handley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
chubber911 wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

See...while you are welcome to disagree with this logic, and you WANT your backing of a kickstarter project as a retail purchase, that doesn't make your backing actually a retail purchase. If you do not like the product you cannot return it.

I find it interesting that your biggest complaint about a game not scheduled for release until 2014 is that it is incomplete. If that's how you feel, perhaps you're better off just waiting until the game's retail release and buying it through normal channels.

Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I don't pay my phone bill in advance, I pay for my previous month's use (as with all of my utility bills).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
Investing may be the won't term to use, but you are certainly capitalizing the project not making a retail purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ddavidc wrote:
Investing may be the won't term to use, but you are certainly capitalizing the project not making a retail purchase.

I'd say that's a fair assessment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WunupKid wrote:

Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I don't pay my phone bill in advance, I pay for my previous month's use (as with all of my utility bills).

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that Kickstarter has become a form of elaborate pre-order system for the juggernauts out there - at it's core, that's not its purpose.

Read their mission statement - the first line is "Kickstarter is a new way to fund creative projects." The key word here is "fund" - as in, you put your money so that the project can get made. Thus implying it is incomplete. Sure, as the website became successful people realized they can use it to actually sell stuff rather than fund them. Whether or not that's a good or bad thing is a complex discussion that is best left for another day. There are claims to be made for and against Kickstarter turning into a preorder system.

The bottom line being, the essence of KS is still to help projects secure funding in order to get made. Thus, if you show up and then complain you're being shown something incomplete - you're looking in the wrong place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chubber911 wrote:
You're giving money in exchange for a product. Use whatever word you want. Just because you can't return it, doesn't make it a purchase.

I've never backed a single project out of the kindness of my heart. I back because I want the product. Kickstarter's not a charity.

And if you're actually inclined to retort about phone bills, look at it first. You'll see you're always 1 month ahead for you're monthly service fee, not including long distance. Same goes for TV and internet. And rent. And insurance.

No. You are pledging funds in exchange for a reward. Look at the terminology of the site. Look at the ability on every kickstarter to pledge an amount that doesn't even get you a product - just a thank you, or your name listed somewhere as a backer.

Look at all the people on kickstarter raising money for movies, tours, and stuff like that.

You are investing in a person or idea. And if there isn't enough funding, then there is no product.

Just because you believe you are preordering, that doesn't make it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Handley
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
chubber911 wrote:
You're giving money in exchange for a product. Use whatever word you want. Just because you can't return it, doesn't make it a purchase.

I've never backed a single project out of the kindness of my heart. I back because I want the product. Kickstarter's not a charity.

And if you're actually inclined to retort about phone bills, look at it first. You'll see you're always 1 month ahead for you're monthly service fee, not including long distance. Same goes for TV and internet. And rent. And insurance.

Just because you want kickstarter to be ebay but for preorders doesn't mean it is.

If you want to back projects entirely for rewards, that's fine, you're still not making a purchase, even if your motive was material the money you're giving is specifically to fund the project, not purchase the results.

You're right, Kickstarter is not a charity. It is an online crowdfunding project. People don't give money for the good feels, they do so because they want to see a project become reality and there are usually rewards involved in doing so. Some might be material, others not so much.

And I pay all my utilities for the month completed unless otherwise specified by a contract, but that was a poor analogy regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Just because you believe you are preordering, that doesn't make it so.

I would say that the reverse of that statement is equally valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funding on KS is absolutely not buying a product. You have no rights when funding through KS. You can lose all your money and you have no right of return either. If you pre-order a product you can cancel the purchase at any point, often aren't actually charged until the product is available and can return it if you don't like it because of distance selling regulations (at least in the UK); none of these apply to things 'purchased' through KS. Now whether it is being used as a pre-order system is a completely different argument. Some companies are clearly using it as such and I would say MERCS has probably straddled the boundary between funding the game itself and a pre-order mechanism. Similarly, we all expect to receive something (in this case our shiny board game with add-ons as a backer) for our money but that doesn't mean that it is just a pre-order system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP's original complaints/questioning is valid. I definitely think the elemental boss should have been a stretch goal. The dragon, the only one that has nothing to do with any of the creature classes, should be the add-on. I'd be happy buying a dragon.

Is anyone excited about the metal bits? I know it'll give the tokens longevity, but I'd be happier with slaughterfield cards or treasure ones instead.I say this because I keep my things in great condition and see no actual benefit from this stretch.

Please don't think that I am ungrateful for all the stretch goals, I sincerely like nearly all of them, I'm just stating an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.