Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I am not overly interested in this game - BUT the sheer number of miniatures involved (at the $100.00 level) is making me drool.

I love to paint miniatures even for games that I do not play (Warhammer Fanstasy comes to mind - have painted those minatures for decades and have never played the game).

I can't help but think this game "seems" to be a Co-op style Descent 2 game? Any thoughts on my thinking here?

- SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
I have to admit that I am not overly interested in this game - BUT the sheer number of miniatures involved (at the $100.00 level) is making me drool.

I love to paint miniatures even for games that I do not play (Warhammer Fanstasy comes to mind - have painted those minatures for decades and have never played the game).

I can't help but think this game "seems" to be a Co-op style Descent 2 game? Any thoughts on my thinking here?

- SK

Co-op is exactly what's missing in Descent, so I don't see the problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
It plays pretty different from Descent as far as i can tell.

First, everything is card driven, which is both good and bad i co-op. Good because card mechanics allow for lots of cool hand management and combos and potentially bad because people may have to use quite a bit of time to explain their hands to everyone else.

Second, this game is very "level-based" from what i can tell. In one game you'll go through many different rooms which function as small games for themselves until you end up in a final mini-boss or boss room (i think, haven't played it and the final room wasn't in the gameplay-vids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the game really this slow to play? I watched a few more videos and it seems like it takes forever to move through a tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Is the game really this slow to play? I watched a few more videos and it seems like it takes forever to move through a tile.

Depends on your group, I guess.

I think they were also slowing themselves down so you could actually see what was going on and so it could be more educational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

Bleh. Co-op is not "missing" from Descent, Descent is great the way it is!

FWIW: I get that some people don't like it, but I'm a big fan of the one vs. many format. I like fighting against an intelligent player, or pitting myself against several of them when I'm in that role.

Now, I like co-ops, too (variety being the spice of life, after all), and I'm teetering on the edge of joining this one myself, but while co-ops can be difficult they're rarely have the devious malice a skilled player can put into the role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I think they were also slowing themselves down so you could actually see what was going on and so it could be more educational.

The amount of ummms and uhhs was hard to swallow. I honestly can't tell if I would like the game from the videos, they make the game seem horribly boring. In theory it seems cool, I really wish they had a rough rule book available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
sargonkid wrote:

- SK

I think you may have misunderstood the intention of my question - I like Descent 2 - I just have always wished it was Co-op - so my question was a positive one - ie, I am HOPING it is like a Co-op Descent 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
I like fighting against an intelligent player, or pitting myself against several of them when I'm in that role.

I guess I should explain further - I like Descent 2 the same way you do. The problem is, my wife (who plays a LOT of boardgames with me) is not as keen on it. We have played it a lot, and she has always hinted that it would be more fun for her if there was a co-op variant.

So, for her sake (and mine indirectly), I was asking if Myth was like a co-op D2.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

The amount of ummms and uhhs was hard to swallow. I honestly can't tell if I would like the game from the videos, they make the game seem horribly boring. In theory it seems cool, I really wish they had a rough rule book available.

Unfortunately there isn't. You have to suspend some reality here and manage expectations. Its a 60% complete game (likely a little further since they said that a month ago) and it was being played by people who have played it three times a week for the last year. That's more than just about anyone else will play it in THREE years so a little "this is old hat" is to be expected. The videos weren't meant to get you amped and excited, they were meant to demonstrate the rules so players have a solid idea of how it plays.

A rulebook will release in June and you'll either be happy you spent the money or kicking yourself that you didn't. Your call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Unfortunately there isn't. You have to suspend some reality here and manage expectations. Its a 60% complete game (likely a little further since they said that a month ago) and it was being played by people who have played it three times a week for the last year. That's more than just about anyone else will play it in THREE years so a little "this is old hat" is to be expected. The videos weren't meant to get you amped and excited, they were meant to demonstrate the rules so players have a solid idea of how it plays.

A rulebook will release in June and you'll either be happy you spent the money or kicking yourself that you didn't. Your call.

That is a pretty pathetic excuse on their part. They should be able to make the videos more appealing knowing they are still trying to "sell the game". It seems like this campaign is running purely on hype
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

...and you'll either be happy you spent the money or kicking yourself that you didn't. Your call.

Well, I went ahead (with 80+ mins left) took the Plunge! ($100.00 level).

The way I see it, it is more than worth $100.00 just for all the minatures. IF it is a good game, that would be "icing on the cake" for me.

I bought (pledged) into Sedition Wars this way - I loved the miniatures and the number of miniatures for the money. I have not played the game yet - maybe never will. (My copy (and others) has some non miniature related issues, such as tiles that are very warped and the printing on the tiles is so dark - hard to even see the space squares.)

I hope this game does not have issues like this.

Thank you all for your input and comments!

- SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The resale value of the captain level plus stretch goals will almost certainly be higher than $100 so you could always buy now and resell after the rules come out if you don't like what you see. Rules are slated to come out before the game ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
I guess I should explain further - I like Descent 2 the same way you do.

No worries, I wasn't taking it too seriously, hence the

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Thank you sargonkid! You just helped us all score a free Dragon Boss!

REALLY! I feel important now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost to the dragon boss.

All these add ons they keep adding in late make me keep upping my pledge level. I started at $100, but I'm up to $220 so I have all the heroes, expansion bits, monsters, etc. that are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it's worth, there are two things which drew me into Myth:

1. the Skald hero -- a bard-style hero where you play your cards to create songs which affect the battlefield. VERY COOL.

2. the AP / Darkness mechanic. Basically, every player ability has an Action Point cost (some have a cost of zero), and each time you play one of those, the Darkness (read: the game's AI) moves one space further to the right. When the Darkness has advanced six spaces, it gets activated.

That's also VERY COOL. Players can be cautious, using low-or-no AP cost abilities, preparing for battle, getting as many "free" actions in as they can. But that's not going to reward them as much (treasures only drop when you kill three minions or a single captain with one attack), so you need to be verrrrrry careful in how you play. Also, if I use a big AP ability, that may mean the rest of the party doesn't get to go this turn.

I'm not a minis guy. I'm not going to paint my copy of Myth. But I expect we'll play it and enjoy it; mechanically, it seems like the kind of game I and the people I play with will enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:

All these add ons they keep adding in late make me keep upping my pledge level. I started at $100, but I'm up to $220 so I have all the heroes, expansion bits, monsters, etc. that are available.

I am interested in the extra set of dice - however, not sure if I will even be playing the game. Does anyone know if those dice will be available to the general public later?

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

That is a pretty pathetic excuse on their part. They should be able to make the videos more appealing knowing they are still trying to "sell the game". It seems like this campaign is running purely on hype

well, it's clear that you don't like the game,.... maybe it is just not your style.

I'm not sure that anyone here can help change your mind.

Also; re: 60% done,.. that was the art for the cards,... the mechanics, rules, and text for the cards has been pretty much set for some time.

for the OP: The game has a uniqe take on combat mechanics, with the mix of the tactical minis and cards,... you don't have long to decide if you want in on the KS though,... less than an hour now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kerrison
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 wrote:
The resale value of the captain level plus stretch goals will almost certainly be higher than $100 so you could always buy now and resell after the rules come out if you don't like what you see. Rules are slated to come out before the game ships.

My thoughts exactly. Even if the game turns out to be a dud, with all those extras at the $100 level you will be very likely to get your money back on it should you choose to sell anyway. So the risk is pretty slim, whilst the pay-off if this turns out to be a great game is tremendous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

I am interested in the extra set of dice - however, not sure if I will even be playing the game. Does anyone know if those dice will be available to the general public later?

- SK

Well, they probably will be available but perhaps much later.
Or perhaps not, if MERCS will found out that selling them separately is not profitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:

- SK

Well, they probably will be available but perhaps much later.
Or perhaps not, if MERCS will found out that selling them separately is not profitable.

"Holy Bat-Ballz, Robin!" I guess I better go change my pledge and add another $15.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

well, it's clear that you don't like the game,.... maybe it is just not your style.

Also; re: 60% done,.. that was the art for the cards,... the mechanics, rules, and text for the cards has been pretty much set for some time.

for the OP: The game has a uniqe take on combat mechanics, with the mix of the tactical minis and cards,... you don't have long to decide if you want in on the KS though,... less than an hour now.

So because I'm not an avid "fan boy" that means I don't like the game? Or perhaps I have my reserves because it's a lot of money for an unfinished game in which a lot of the rules have not been disclosed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the Stretch Goal "Lairs and traps" are the same as the Addon 6 traps and lairs for $8.00?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
yamato2 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

So because I'm not an avid "fan boy" that means I don't like the game? Or perhaps I have my reserves because it's a lot of money for an unfinished game in which a lot of the rules have not been disclosed.

no,... you don't have to be a fan boy,... just ask real questions,... you bashed the game for weeks,... now finally you go and watch the videos,... people try to help you understand why the gameplay seems slow,... and you balk. \

don't ask questions if you are not prepared for the answers.

the rules are pretty darn evident if you watch the videos,.... with some very minor exceptions, I could right the rulebook just from taking down notes from that.

I've said if before,... if you don't get it now,.... reading the full rule book will not help you. it's not a grand story teller,... it's mostly combat,... if you don't like that,.... try something that is more of what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.