Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, but I looked and couldn't see it.

The Communication card says that when one animal gets a red token from the food bank, the other gets a red token "out of the queue". I'm not sure what this means.

At first we thought that "out of the queue" meant that the bonus token doesn't come from the food bank, but from the reserve, i.e. the red tokens that are not in the food bank this turn. After all, if it came from the food bank, why not just say "also gets a red token from the food bank"?

But then we decided it made more sense to assume that "out of the queue" just means "out of turn", so the bonus red token also comes out of the food bank even though it's not that animal's turn to be fed. That's how we've been playing, but is it correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your latter interpretation is correct.

The "out of queue" token comes from the food bank. Whenever a trait requires you to take a red token to feed your animal, it always comes from the food bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks!

It just confused us because, as I mentioned, it would make more sense to just say the second animal also gets a red token from the food bank. Perhaps it's a translation issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the game has a lot of such issues. I think the core problem is that although basic rules are intuitive and simple, linking them to individual traits can be problematic. My number 1 hater is "in your feeding phase" term. If you have any problems, please check my thread with FAQ: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11490147#11490147
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks again!

Yes, I saw your FAQ, but couldn't find the answer to my questiion in there. But it's generally a very comprehensive work, often answering questions I thought there was no ambiguity about!

The "feeding phase" thing confused me slightly at first, but I think the rules are clear enough if read carefully. A "feeding phase" is one of the four phases of the turn, and like the others it happens once per turn, but it may contain multiple rounds (in the same way as the development phase happens once per turn but has several rounds of players each playing one card). That's right, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about the "feeding phase" but I meant "YOUR feeding phase" term present in the rules booklet and on some cards. Imagine a situation when you (third player) have one animal with SCAVENGER and another one without traits. However, both are linked with COOPERATION. It's first player's turn, he/she kills an animal with CARNIVOROUS and you use your SCAVENGER to feed your first animal (you're the only player owning a SCAVENGER). After that you have to activate COOPERATION and give a blue to your second creature. Such a situation is in "YOUR feeding phase" even if it's not your turn. When your turn comes, you can use COOPERATION again. That wasn't so obvious for me (as well as for many other players) and initially I triggered COOPERATION only when it was my turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kotya kotya
msg tools
xipuloxx wrote:
It just confused us because, as I mentioned, it would make more sense to just say the second animal also gets a red token from the food bank. Perhaps it's a translation issue.

yes it is. "out of turn" should be there.

Svartisen, could you please add this clarification in your FAQ? as far as i remember, this question was raised before, so we can call it as 'frequently' asked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
We where wondering about this as well, but decided that it would come out of the general food bank, glad that I played it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.