Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing mechanical that prevents a 2 player game. It's just overwhelming since there's a lot to keep track of, and so not as much fun.

You're welcome to try 1 vs 1 out - I'm sure many will. I just don't want to bill it as a two player game when I don't think it's nearly as enjoyable.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hayes
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish every game designer felt this way.

My wife and I play games a lot and I can't tell you how many games I have picked up to play 2 players just to find out it doesn't work well with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McFadden

Lansing
Michigan
msg tools
mbmb
As a fan of the original Space Cadets, I have a bunch of questions, too... How similar are the stations to one another? One of the things that I thought was so great with S.C. was that every player was doing something completely different. Any photos of the dice or other components? The blurb mentioned some space ship minis/figures/parts - what sort of pieces are we talking about in addition to dice? Will a rules PDF show up sometime before release? Is there a release date yet? How about an MSRP? Are there any plans to release a Space Cadets expansion, or maybe variants to use these new dice/parts in the original Space Cadets game?

I think that's all my burning questions! I own and enjoy Space Cadets (and also listening to Ludology) and I'm a big fan of dice, so I'm looking forward to checking this one out!

Thansk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robandstuff wrote:
As a fan of the original Space Cadets, I have a bunch of questions, too... How similar are the stations to one another? One of the things that I thought was so great with S.C. was that every player was doing something completely different. Any photos of the dice or other components? The blurb mentioned some space ship minis/figures/parts - what sort of pieces are we talking about in addition to dice? Will a rules PDF show up sometime before release? Is there a release date yet? How about an MSRP? Are there any plans to release a Space Cadets expansion, or maybe variants to use these new dice/parts in the original Space Cadets game?

I think that's all my burning questions! I own and enjoy Space Cadets (and also listening to Ludology) and I'm a big fan of dice, so I'm looking forward to checking this one out!

Thansk!

Release will be right around Gencon. I'll be doling out information over the coming months leading up to that in an effort to build up the suspense and anticipation. That will include rules and a tutorial video that should explain all.

I'll put together some info and get it posted very soon!

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McFadden

Lansing
Michigan
msg tools
mbmb
Great, thanks for reply, looking forward to all the details!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard about this on The Dice Tower, and as a fan of all things bridge-related I can not *wait* for this game. And I can't tell you how happy I am that this is a normal, relatively short-termed release and not an 18-month Kickstarter wait... I'll be ordering a copy as soon as it's available to be ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
I'll put together some info and get it posted very soon!
Geoff

Could you please tell us what decisions each player has to make? From what you've said it occurs that the only decision maker is captain and crew members are just dice rolling bots. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obviously not. I conjecture that the crew members decide for example which dice they reroll when or how to resolve the dice, but that the captain has the overview (and perhaps after a torpedo is loaded decides when it fires).

I am curious to how it works with 4. Will each team have 1 captain and one dice roller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player decisions:

There are plenty of decisions for the players to make, even with a captain. It's tough to describe without going through all the details, but let me use Helm as an example. Each die has different directional 'arrow' symbols on each side. The Captain will typically say "I want to head in this direction", or "get to their left" or something like that, and the Helm player has to roll the dice to get the arrow combinations that will let you get there.

You don't move immediately, either - you plot three dice worth of movement, and then move your ship. So you need to balance the precision of getting exactly the direction arrows you want with the speed of getting dice down as fast as possible. While avoiding Nebula, Asteroids, etc, if possible.

All the systems are similar - you need to balance getting the 'perfect' dice combination with getting something down in as short a time as possible.

Plus communication between the team, even with a Captain, is critical. A team that solely relies on the captain telling each player exactly what to do is going to get quickly defeated by a team communicating and working together.

Player roles:

There is only a Captain role for the eight player game (4 v 4). Otherwise each player has some stations. In 3 v 3 the player on Engineering typically acts as a 'leader', but it is very flexible.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.