United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been offered a job at Texas A&M. It's a 3-year position, and I think I can handle most anywhere for a short period. Nevertheless, I'd love to hear thoughts, advice, or warnings about the College Station area. I have two elementary-aged kids, so school information is relevant as well. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Well, if you ask an Austinite who went to UT, they will tell you College Station sucks....But you may get lucky and an Aggie will chime in and tell you how rock on College Station is. Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
College Station -- All the despair of hell, but without the cool temperature.

Honestly, I have no idea. I just thought that sounded cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, Texas A&M is in the SEC. That automatically makes it better than that other lesser school in Austin.

I'm kind of dreading my trip to Austin later this year. Plus, where the fuck does Texas get off charging $85 per ticket to their football games. That's like Bowl game prices. Alabama's per game ticket fee is only $55 a ticket, and they have a better football team than Texas has ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Umm, Texas A&M is in the SEC. That automatically makes it better than that other lesser school in Austin.

I'm kind of dreading my trip to Austin later this year. Plus, where the fuck does Texas get off charging $85 per ticket to their football games. That's like Bowl game prices. Alabama's per game ticket fee is only $55 a ticket, and they have a better football team than Texas has ever had.

Isn't there only ONE team in Austin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
I have been offered a job at Texas A&M. It's a 3-year position, and I think I can handle most anywhere for a short period. Nevertheless, I'd love to hear thoughts, advice, or warnings about the College Station area. I have two elementary-aged kids, so school information is relevant as well. Thanks.

My little brother lives there and likes it quite a bit but he likes any town with little to no traffic problems. It's a college town in a very conservative area so lots of cheap food places and bars that don't look like bars. I don't know about the quality of schools in the area but Texas ranks in the bottom 5 pretty much every year for high school graduation rates so don't expect Massachusetts level spending nor the results that come from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:

They charge $55 in Alabama because the average fan never made it past the "5s" on the multiplication table. If they charged any more the typical Tide fan couldn't buy tickets for his sister/wife/cousin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:
Isn't there only ONE team in Austin?

Yes, Texas A&M is in College Station. But Ole Miss plays Texas A&M at home this year. We play Texas in Austin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

They charge $55 in Alabama because the average fan never made it past the "5s" on the multiplication table. If they charged any more the typical Tide fan couldn't buy tickets for his sister/wife/cousin.

Your logic fails because Alabama fans know how to count in Multiples of 7 as well, at least, during Football Season they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff summed up A&M rather well. It's very much a college town in an area that thinks very conservatively. I have lots of friends who either live there now or would like to move back there as they feel it's a great place to raise a family. Plus, you're only a short road trip from two major metropolitan areas - Houston and Austin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Any thoughts on or knowledge of the gaming scene?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, isn't there an active chit-chatter or two from College Station/Bryan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hendricks
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in Bryan, right next to College Station for a few months. I really enjoyed it. The food is great, the people are nice. I recommend taking your kids eventually on the tour of the Blue Bell ice cream factory which isn't too far.

Just watch out for the insects. Clouds of mosquitos and in the summer the love bugs (which are harmless but will make a mess of your car's fender).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleLothar wrote:
I lived in Bryan, right next to College Station for a few months. I really enjoyed it. The food is great, the people are nice. I recommend taking your kids eventually on the tour of the Blue Bell ice cream factory which isn't too far.

Just watch out for the insects. Clouds of mosquitos and in the summer the love bugs (which are harmless but will make a mess of your car's fender).

Thanks for the input. I accepted the job, and I'll be heading down in a few weeks with the family following later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.