Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor question, just to be sure...

I have this card:

It has no color associated, but it says Land.
Can I use it as any color or it is used to complete the required mana of spells that doesn't specify a color?

I mean... if the creature says that its cost is 2 Sun (read it as 2 from any mana and one from white land), is this land only useful to complete one of the first 2 mana needed, but not for the white mana required?

If this is correct...
It says that when tapped, it will prevent 1 damage to any creature.
Does it means that if I use it to cast a spell I cannot use it to prevent a damage to a creature?
Thank you.
Eduardo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes lands different from other cards is that you cannot cast them, but simply put it into play (but only one at a turn, with sorcery speed). They do not necessarily give mana, although most of them does. But the main thing is that they do what's written on them, and nothing else. With one important exception: sometimes nothing is written on basic lands. More precisely, if a land is island, plains, mountain, swamp or forest (which is written as its name on the top, or as a type between the picture and the box of text), you can tap it for mana of the appropriate color (blue, white, red, black or green). But this card is neither, it can only do one thing.

By the way, if it had a second ability which let it give mana for tapping, you could only use one of the abilities. You would tap it as a cost, and then couldn't tap it again until it untaps, presumably at the beginning of your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely clear. Thank you both.
Eduardo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here's an example of a land you could either tap for one colorless mana, *or* tap to create a damage prevention effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eduardo I notice you have been posting many questions about different cards and I applaud your efforts. One thing I have noticed is that often you attempt to add an interpretation that doesn't belong to a card. Magic is very specific. Cards will almost always do exactly what they say. Try not to think about what a card "might" be doing and focus exactly on what it says. I know you are working out of your primary language and I think that is great. Make the assumption that it doesn't do anything beyond what it says and you will usually be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Eduardo I notice you have been posting many questions about different cards and I applaud your efforts. One thing I have noticed is that often you attempt to add an interpretation that doesn't belong to a card. Magic is very specific. Cards will almost always do exactly what they say. Try not to think about what a card "might" be doing and focus exactly on what it says. I know you are working out of your primary language and I think that is great. Make the assumption that it doesn't do anything beyond what it says and you will usually be fine.

While this probaly explains my many subscription updates. I think this question might be an effect of another recent question (that somebody else asked iirc) that was answered with a land creates mana of the coloretc and not with basic land . That basic type is important to remember with new players.

and to the OP: you can checkout more on each card at http://gatherer.wizards.com and peoples comments. Which might be a bit helpfull (it also holds some rules interreptions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

Yes, I think you are right. After each answer you (forum) respond to my questions, I am finding that I am playing better, and my "common sense" is closer to the real rules now, and improving.
I never played with cards, I am trying it to find a game for camping, easy to take with us, and for playing with the family.

At home, we usually play Role games, War Games like 40k Space Hulk, WHQ, Descent, Merchant and Marauders that are very complex games when talking about rules. Maybe I tend to doubt about my interpretation because of that, I learnt a lot about those games rules here (forum).

I am playing now several games with the software you (forum) advised me to try, and I found the game a lot easier to play that what I thought. Anyway... as several cards twist a little the rules, I post here those that still are confuse for me, but... as I told you, I am closer to what you explain about the cards, meaning that I am learning well.
Thank you.
Eduardo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:

While this probaly explains my many subscription updates. I think this question might be an effect of another recent question (that somebody else asked iirc) that was answered with a land creates mana of the coloretc and not with basic land . That basic type is important to remember with new players.

and to the OP: you can checkout more on each card at http://gatherer.wizards.com and peoples comments. Which might be a bit helpfull (it also holds some rules interreptions)

Virre you added another layer of difficulty to me , could you tell me what do you mean with "OP", "iirc", "coloretc", and your last sentence?

But if I understood you well about checking in the site about talking of specific cards, yes, I was there, and it solved some of my doubts already, but many times the comments are about how good the card is, or discussions at a higher level, I am at the very beginning as you all already know modest
Thank you. Eduardo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ecominguez wrote:
me what do you mean with "OP", "iirc", "coloretc", and your last sentence?

OP = Original Poster. The person who made the thread. In this case, you.

IIRC is "If I Remember Correctly"

coloretc was probably a typo, should have been "color, etc", or "color, et cetera", or "color, and other such details".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
ecominguez wrote:
me what do you mean with "OP", "iirc", "coloretc", and your last sentence?

OP = Original Poster. The person who made the thread. In this case, you.

IIRC is "If I Remember Correctly"

coloretc was probably a typo, should have been "color, etc", or "color, et cetera", or "color, and other such details".

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ecominguez wrote:
At home, we usually play Role games, War Games like 40k Space Hulk, WHQ, Descent, Merchant and Marauders that are very complex games when talking about rules. Maybe I tend to doubt about my interpretation because of that, I learnt a lot about those games rules here (forum).

Magic has a different approach to rules than those games. Those games have lots of interlocking small rules and you're expected to keep a rulebook close by during play to keep track of them. Magic is a card game, designed to be played on the go with no other rules than what's on the cards. As Jerry suggests, trust the cards. They do exactly what they say they do, because what's on the cards is all you're generally expected to use as a reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cominguez
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
ecominguez wrote:

Magic has a different approach to rules than those games. Those games have lots of interlocking small rules and you're expected to keep a rulebook close by during play to keep track of them. Magic is a card game, designed to be played on the go with no other rules than what's on the cards. As Jerry suggests, trust the cards. They do exactly what they say they do, because what's on the cards is all you're generally expected to use as a reference.

Agree, I am learning using the video game demo too (as suggested in this forum).
I had the other day a card that say... "target artifact must be sent to the graveyard". To my surprise, when I played it, the game took the only artifact in play, and it was mine!!!.

I couldn't believe it. I would never thought that a card played by me could hit me :-).
I would ignore my card. But... as you said, it is just what the card says, "remove one artifact in play", it doesn't say opponent card or something like that.

Thank you.
Eduardo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.