Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Their are a lot of cool games up this month, but a lot of them are shooting themselves in the foot. Here are a couple of major mistakes I am seeing with campaigns. I'll be curious if others see the same trends.
First off, people clearly have gotten the message about the intro video. So I am seeing lots of good videos and fairly well laid out ks pages.

1. Fail to have things ready before launching. I have seen a number of good projects that started off well, then pancaked because they clearly thought they would have plenty of spare time to whip up play videos during the campaign. I even saw a miniature battle game that didn't even have the miniatures available until a week into the campaign. I don't know why people are rushing to launch without having your miniatures ready or having a basic gameplay video ready. KS takes a lot of time, and most people have jobs/families as well. Hoping you can whip up a good video during the first week or so of your campaign is just asking for trouble.

2. What are you selling, miniatures or a game? There are a ton of mini campaigns out there so competition is stiff right now. You can't just throw some mini's in your game and expect it to sell out. The mini's people are looking at the price per mini now. And the more time you spend working with the mini people, the less time you are actually selling your game to the game crowd. Trying to cater to two different markets is tough unless you have everything prepared before hand (see #1).

3. Prices are high, convince me to buy. It seems like the average price is now over $80, and over $100 if you are shipping from Europe to the USA. If I'm going to buy a $100 game, I want good gameplay video and some good reviews to make me feel like I'm not throwing money away. No reviews makes me think your game is untested and probably unbalanced. Especially if you have a complex game with similar competitors in that genre. Having 1 person who played your game once, isn't very convincing. 

Overall the market is getting saturated IMHO. Rising shipping costs are turning a lot of games into serious financial commitments. Stuff you might impulse buy at $40 is now $80, and if you go for any add ons its easily $120 or more. I won't even get into the plight of the non-USA buyers with shipping and VAT. At that price point people are going to be more demanding for a sale. You can make the sale if you are prepared and persuasive.

That's my 2 cents worth (plus $40 shipping outside the US)

Poliorcetes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely feel the saturation, especially with the minis. It sure seems like there's a majority in games that are very expensive. I sure won't ever dish out the cost for, say, Zombicide, let alone double it to get the add-ons. Crazy! I relish the little gems that I had hoped would be more regular, like Dungeon Roll, Fleet, and Flowerfall. There are some of these, but they generally falter with one of your other categories or are generally coming from unproven producers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Good points.

Poliorcetes wrote:
3. Prices are high, convince me to buy. It seems like the average price is now over $80, and over $100 if you are shipping from Europe to the USA.

It seems that Europe > USA is cheaper than USA > Europe. Being a Europe-based publisher that can use KS, we see this first-hand.

Poliorcetes wrote:
Overall the market is getting saturated IMHO. Rising shipping costs are turning a lot of games into serious financial commitments. Stuff you might impulse buy at $40 is now $80, and if you go for any add ons its easily $120 or more. I won't even get into the plight of the non-USA buyers with shipping and VAT. At that price point people are going to be more demanding for a sale. You can make the sale if you are prepared and persuasive.

It's a bit ironic that KS is technically for US-(and now UK-)based project creators, but shipping from the US is so expensive. How much it hurts the US economy and its exports is evident in how many people complain about it. And it looks like US shipping costs will increase. Not sure what to do about it, just sayin'.

Poliorcetes wrote:
That's my 2 cents worth (plus $40 shipping outside the US)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a primarily minis gamer there is too much scheduled. If there are many big projects going on I need to prioritize. I'd love to back more but still need to eat. Paying attention to other projects' dates would enable furtherfunding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poliorcetes wrote:
2. What are you selling, miniatures or a game? There are a ton of mini campaigns out there so competition is stiff right now. You can't just throw some mini's in your game and expect it to sell out.

Unless they got big boobies....

But I definately agree, especially with the saturation of the market. Kickstarter really has given the average joe an oppertunity to crank out their own product. That is a two-edged sword. With the right amount of work then getting a fantastic game that would have never come to light without a service like Kickstarter is a blessing.

However, like youtube, it gives everyone the oppertunity to up their stuff regardless of quality. So there is a big risk of getting...well...something far below sub-par.

But people keep tossing money at things that look cool...and trust me, I am one of them. (It is sad to think that a year ago I was seriously contimplating $80 on SDE....now $150 doesn't seem like much on a "project". Yikes how times change quickly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart glanvville
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the main move has been from a $50-$60 game which takes off and gets some cool stretch goals to now $60 getting you the game BUT you need to pledge at $100-$120 to get the stretch goals...
this has happened a lot recently...
and i agree about games not knowing what they are... i wanted to back red storm/liberty roads but A) shipping!!! $60... from us to uk... eek!
and B) it seemed to be bigging up the mini's aspect of the game - stretch goal 1 - 3 anti tank minis? what use is that when all i have is blocks.. stretch goal 1 - 3 new tiles for the basegame - yeah that would make sense instead that was goal 2... the company has since said it really over egged the mini's side of the game... but what it should have done is stopped the KS, redesigned the page, relaunched - with the mini's kept as a luxury add on for those that wanted it, but the stretch goals and all the footage and play video's featuring the blocks.. it should have made way more of the really interesting design this game has.. instead it was - look at our ace painted tanks, super cool, yeah woo hoo... oh by the way the games actually played with blocks and it looks pretty innovative..
missed opportunity..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It amazes me that many Kickstarter campaigns start before the game is on BGG. They explain that it takes a week or so for BGG to approve the game, but you should have put it there long before. You can add something to the BGG database weeks, months, even years before the game is ready to release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.