M Serf
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
We are a steady group of 5 pretty vicious gamers looking for something new. We love Smallworld, as well as City of Horror (Can get pretty violent. Not a bad thing.) As a more peaceful game, we really enjoy 7 Wonders as well. We are currently nearing the end of our Risk Legacy campaign(thank goodness... 2 of us really hate it as the others take it very seriously...)which is unfortunately the focus of game night, and are looking for a new game. It has been said that 2 of the guys in the group may not want to continue coming after Legacy, which is kind of lame, because we all have fun playing other games as well, so I'm looking for something that may entice them to continue coming. We are a pretty violent and competitive group. Any suggestions? Currently looking at Cyclades and Battlestar Galactica...
Thanks a lot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without having too much experience i would say that since you have a competitive game group i would bet on something specially fun to keep people interested in having a good time and then later specify the criteria on violient ames if you really want.

Said that i would suggest Survive: Escape from Atlantis! that can me really competitive and let you me mad to your's opponent's and has an expansion which allow you to play with from 2 to 6 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall is an excellent game of corrupt politics and backstabbing

Wealth of Nations with V2 rules is an amazing game about economics and supply/demand markets. You try to become the leader in a certain product and extort the hell out of your opponents when they try to buy it from you (though they have stuff you'll need as well)

There are ways to viciously destroy your friends other than bloody war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+100 for Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

That's been my go-to game for a couple years now. We've played it so much our board fell apart. laugh

If your group gets it, it's a great game. I've seen it fall flat with a couple people, but those particular people didn't seem like they even wanted to try to get into it. We've had a pretty regular BSG group for a long time now, and it's still my most played game.

For more games with conflict:

If your group can handle really long games, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is a great one. Eclipse is also good, and a fair bit shorter (more along the lines of BSG-length). Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game and Chaos in the Old World will both play 5 with their expansions.

If you want to try cut-throat without the violence, Power Grid is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id suggest..

Cyclades
Kemet
Cosmic Encounter
Lancaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo

My group took to this one like a fish to water
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai Sword
The Resistance / The Resistance: Avalon
Coup
Condottiere
Lords of Scotland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 King of Tokyo for a quick beat-up.
+2 The Resistance:Avalon for intense and social.
+10 Battlestar Galactica for struggle and suspicion (especially recommended when you have 5 players).

Cosmic Encounter (3-5, expansions add one player each), Panic Station (4-6)..

You can also check my collection for ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Serf
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot everyone !! Really great suggestions by all, think we're gonna try Chaos in the Old World and Battlestar Galactica for now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.