zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Both feature:
- short duration
- easy to teach
- highly portable
- and of course, bluffing!

My group is loving Liar's Dice now, and I'm wondering if we need Coup at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny... Coup and Liar's Dice is a comparison that first came to mind for me as well. I've played both. If you like one, you'll like the other most likely.

Coup is only slightly more difficult because of the different roles. But, that adds more of a guessing game and a bit more intrigue. Both games provide gradually increasing information to impact your choice of calling someone's bluff (i.e. the dice removed in Liar's Dice, and the revealed role cards in front of players in Coup).

Bottom line is I like Coup better, but I'll play Liar's Dice with my in-laws because they enjoy games that only the very most approachable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both good, both very similar. I think Liar's Dice wins out in the "timeless" competition...Coup in the "modern" competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are very different. Coup is less about bluffing and deception, and more about deduction. You need to figure out what influence players have by what are available in the remaining cards. I seldom feel that I am really bluffing. I am taking the best action when I cannot be reasonably stopped based on what is known information.

Liar's Dice is much more about probabilities and actual bluffing.

Liar's Dice is more to my taste, but like both. More to the point, the feel of the games are very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I think they are very different. Coup is less about bluffing and deception, and more about deduction. You need to figure out what influence players have by what are available in the remaining cards. I seldom feel that I am really bluffing. I am taking the best action when I cannot be reasonably stopped based on what is known information.

Liar's Dice is much more about probabilities and actual bluffing.

Liar's Dice is more to my taste, but like both. More to the point, the feel of the games are very different.
At 6p, Coup is like this. At 3p, it is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I love Liar dice - but at school what we called Liar dice is called poker dice here
Poker Dice - and we used to play that obsessively usually for escalating forfeits (or who would pick up the bar tab etc)

if you like Liar Dice - try poker dice it is much more subtle, quick and you have the added ability to sc*w your opponents by ruining a hand as well as bluffing.

I loved the mechanics of Liar dice and both that and Poker dice was an inspiration for Coup (as well as Citadels)

the problem we found as group that led to developing Coup is the length of play of Liar dice with a large group and with player elimination you could be out and waiting a while.

but great and flattering comparison
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I tend not to want to disagree with a designer about his own game, I feel like Rikki is being overly generous here. Coup is a wonderful, modern game that has glorious moments of bluff and revelation, as well as a tactical aspect of positioning yourself for the endgame (which seems to be lost on a lot of players here). I honestly expect to be playing Coup many years from now.

Liar's Dice is a game of probability and a little bluffing.

One is a pastime, the other might be the best game of 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Thanks for the reply guys, and nice to hear from (a very humble) Rikki himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The modern comparison to Liars Dice for me would be Skull and Roses - very elegant, very simple game of pure bluffing, and much more control over the screwage than Liars Dice.
It's a little more one-note than Coup, which I absolutely adore - both are brilliant bluffing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Liars Dice for shooting the shit with friends. Coup for thinking a bit along with your bluffing.

I'm terrible at Coup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.