Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Anyone know any LGBT or LGBT friendly gaming groups on Long island? Im interested in either joining or starting one. What is the best (free) way to do so?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
suggestion: put into your thread's title/subject the actual region (ie. Long Island) that you are in... Northeast, like all BGG regional forums, are quite huge, putting in specific location not only saves folks who are too far from wasting time looking in just to find out it's too far from them, but it will draw more attention from those that are within your regional distance.

for what it's worth I think most if not all Northeast gaming groups would be LGBT friendly... question is if you started a gaming group would you limit it to only LGBT or would it be straight friendly? If the latter then you might as well just start the group with the note that it's open to all regardless of sex, race, religion, or sexual orientation... the more important question is what type of games your group may or may not focus on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, just find a gaming group and most likely nobody will object (or even really care) about other aspects of your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
This is a good question. Disregard the first two responses, except for the part about being more specific in the post title regarding location.

Unfortunately, I will be of little help, but I hope that you find a group.

If I come across something that looks applicable to you, I will send it your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try meetup.com for joining or starting a group.
Disregard no responses above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
browntomp wrote:
Try meetup.com for joining or starting a group.

Meetup.com is not free for the host, but it would be a good way to start looking for one. As to whether it is LGBT friendly, hard to say unless it explicitly says that. I'd like to think that most groups don't really care - I've certainly never run into anything that feels like an LGBT-unfriendly environment at a gaming group, but of course I have lived in or near SF my whole life so I'm a bit spoiled in that respect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
browntomp wrote:

Including the one that said to disregard stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting here and on craigslist would be a start. As was mentioned, I would include "Long Island" in the title of your thread, maybe something like "ISO Joining or Forming an LGBT Friendly Gaming Group on Long Island".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with the Long Island area but try a local Unitarian Universalist congregation. They should be LGBTQ friendly and may already have an LGBTQ meeting you may be able to piggy back on. It may not be free to rent a space at one but it should be cheap.
http://www.liacuu.org/congregations.html

You can also try any libraries and/or community centers that often have spaces for rent at low rates (and free in some places).

There may also be some United Church of Christ congregations that would be LGBTQ friendly and possibly have cheap rental spaces.

(I'm in no way implying that other faiths won't be LGBTQ friendly...these are just what I know off the top of my head!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll make a confession, it's to find new people to game with, but it's also to potentially find dates who like gaming as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WittyreaderLI wrote:
I'll make a confession, it's to find new people to game with, but it's also to potentially find dates who like gaming as well!

LOL

Good way to find someone with similar hobbies at least!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a LGBT game night in Boonton NJ, not sure how far that is from where you are...

It's on monday nights, and while i've personally not ever been able to attend, it's been going strong for many moons.

http://www.meetup.com/TheTipsyMeeple/events/107693462/?a=md2...

good luck.
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.