United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1+1=2

EDIT:
Good intentions have unintended consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Aubuchon
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Support shobalk and byronczimmer
Hey FFG, we just organized a big thing where we played a whole lot of games without necessarily paying for your physical product. Can you give us some stuff for free?

...what?

Edit: I am all for supporting these guys in some way, this just seems like a very wrongheaded way of going about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... Unless FFG is going to see money from this I see no reason to ask for support. Electronic versions of games DO NOT directly support the business.

It's kind of a slap in the face for FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
It also makes it harder for them to act as if they didn't knew what OCTGN is (was?) which only makes them more likely to terminate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So much negativity around a topic most have little understanding...

FFG recognizes both Cardgamedb and OCTGN. They don't send legal after their butts and OCTGN commits to never publishing uncensored cards.

Other companies are not so nice. Dominion was pulled of off BSW and boardgamearena ... so this goes to show that companies do have power over this type of activity. FFG does not do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the desire for support.

This was absolutely the wrong way to go about it.

If you are able, please take down that tweet immediately.

AND, request anyone who retweeted it to do the same.

To everyone else:
Please don't reply this.
Please don't bump it.
Please don't retweet it.

Just let David clean it up and tell me he's done so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do appreciate the way that you're handling it BT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
So much negativity around a topic most have little understanding...

FFG recognizes both Cardgamedb and OCTGN. They don't send legal after their butts and OCTGN commits to never publishing uncensored cards.

Other companies are not so nice. Dominion was pulled of off BSW and boardgamearena ... so this goes to show that companies do have power over this type of activity. FFG does not do the same.

It's more complicated than that. As long as FFG has deniability, with nobody drawing its attention to OCTGN and the like, they can let them continue with a wink and a nod. But if their attention is drawn to it, and there's no choice but to know it's there, they may have no choice but to sic legal on them.

Look up "laches" and "estoppel" if you want the legalese, but in short, if you have rights in something, and someone violates them, and you take a long time to do something about it, you can be argued to have lost those rights. Potentially completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy York
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is really quite silly.

FFG doesn't send out free support kits just because you ran a tournament, whether it's online or offline. So if you feel that the OCTGN tournament organizers are being denied anything, what they've been denied is the chance to sink their own money into promoting FFG's game.

Regionals kits cost in the vicinity of $200, game night kits (if you can get them) cost in the vicinity of $20.

Only available to retailers through distributors (game night kits) or directly through FFG (regional kits and game night kits). The only stores / organizers getting complimentary copies of any of this are people who have sweetheart deals with either FFG or their distributor.

I'm not throwing stones at FFG, it's how they manage to make the player community happy by providing support while also keeping the accountants happy; and the prices they charge are not high for small print run things like this. In this economy etc etc. But lest anyone think that they have FFG to thank for the cool swag they're getting from tournaments, you both have them to thank (for taking the time to get stuff printed) and your local tournament organizer (for paying for the thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice going David...lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Aubuchon
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Nice going David...lol.

Let's not start with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
auction_prune wrote:
This is really quite silly.

FFG doesn't send out free support kits just because you ran a tournament, whether it's online or offline. So if you feel that the OCTGN tournament organizers are being denied anything, what they've been denied is the chance to sink their own money into promoting FFG's game.

Regionals kits cost in the vicinity of $200, game night kits (if you can get them) cost in the vicinity of $20.

Only available to retailers through distributors (game night kits) or directly through FFG (regional kits and game night kits). The only stores / organizers getting complimentary copies of any of this are people who have sweetheart deals with either FFG or their distributor.

I'm not throwing stones at FFG, it's how they manage to make the player community happy by providing support while also keeping the accountants happy; and the prices they charge are not high for small print run things like this. In this economy etc etc. But lest anyone think that they have FFG to thank for the cool swag they're getting from tournaments, you both have them to thank (for taking the time to get stuff printed) and your local tournament organizer (for paying for the thing).

More people need to understand this as it is insanely cool of the game stores to host the events, pay for the prizes, and for many of them give away much of what people paid to get in as extra prizes.

My local store gave people back $5 of their $20 as a gift card for just showing up and more based on how well you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
aubiewankenobi wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Nice going David...lol.

Let's not start with this.

Easy killer, not even being malicious. Just joking around. I never play OCTGN, so I care not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
So we're ignoring the requests to not reply to or bump this? Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just click the red X peeps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.