Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two different news events that allow players to liquidate without rolling the row/column for the item. It doesn't give a lot of explanation for how the liquidation is done, and we had several players that wanted to liquidate more than the minimum necessary for taxes.

When we played last night, we assumed that:

1. If you have enough cash on hand to pay taxes, then liquidation is not allowed.

2. If you do liquidate, you can hold the cash you have on hand before you start your liquidating.

3. When you start liquidating, you can choose what to liquidize in any order.

4. As soon as you have liquidized enough assets to pay the taxes, then you cannot liquidize any more.

5. The last item liquidized does get paid to you in full. Even if you liquidized a refinery for $90 when your remaining tax was only $1, you would still keep the extra $89 as "change". This means you may end up with more cash on hand than you started with.

Is this how other people are playing?

In one case, the player rolling the dice hit a oil drilling rig, and wanted to build an oil well, but only had $1 cash on hand. Luckily the roll he had was a double, which triggered taxes. He paid the taxes in a crafty manor in order to end up with more cash on hand, which he then used to buy the oil well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absent anything from the publisher, I'd say the guidelines you came up with make complete sense, and with the possible exception of item 2, parallel what our group has done.

I might argue that a player has to first spend all of his cash on hand, and then only liquidate what is necessary to pay the balance (and possibly pocketing some difference on the last item), but I can see it going either way. It's the kind of thing my group votes on, when the matter comes up, but not all groups are that understanding, and you may want to lay out the ground rules before starting, instead, just so there's no hard feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense.

Actually, I don't think that #2 is necessary at all. We would not let a person liquidate another item item if the cash on hand was sufficient to pay the remaining tax, so it works out the same way either way.

It's certainly easiest to just start by paying all the taxes possible with cash on hand, and then start liquidizing. It makes the whole procedure more straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uigrad wrote:
Is this how other people are playing?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup... the process you describe is correct!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I appreciate having an official response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Cohen
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
Yup... the process you describe is correct!

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC

Which process is correct? The one that allows you to liquidate and keep your cash on hand if you don't have enough or the one that says you first spend all your cash, then liquidate as needed only keeping the left over from the last item?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.