Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to ask this before I backed it, but I didn't want to be (too) trollish. I do like fantasy as a theme, but as a mostly Euro game player, I doubt this will work for our group. But on the off chance it does, I'm in. But more likely, I'll be able to get my money back by selling my copy. Am I alone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaeu Li
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect to like it a great deal though rarely get a chance to play it :\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you will try and see right?
i guess a lot of people bought this to resell later

time will tell, when we see the rulebook, final sculpts etc.
it is a great deal to be honest. almost 200 figs for 100 usd. come on.
the game itself will be, I hope, not another Descent 2 type (as a Descent player I need to say this) but, again - time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will go really well with my group. While we play all kinds of games, we have lately been trending towards co-op if we aren't playing X-Wing or Star Wars LCG. The switch from the Overlord style of Descent 2 to fully co-op is going to be a HUGE draw for us. Not to mention the fact that we can manage our hands and actions which helps prevent Alpha gamers (of which we have two) from dominating the turn like they can in Pandemic or similar games.

This one will appease a lot of people and I think its rapidly going to become our go-to for the forseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I was going to ask this before I backed it, but I didn't want to be (too) trollish. I do like fantasy as a theme, but as a mostly Euro game player, I doubt this will work for our group. But on the off chance it does, I'm in. But more likely, I'll be able to get my money back by selling my copy. Am I alone?

I'm much more of a Euro guy and I think the AP-management aspect, where players try to balance the abilities they play versus deciding how fast / slow / early / soon they want to let the Darkness activate is VERY Euro. That, plus the addition of the Skald hero -- which is a bard-like character whose cards combine to create songs which affect the state of the game -- is what convinced me to go in on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korey Jackson
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From one Curt/Kurt to another:
curtc wrote:
Am I alone?

Kurt Vonnegut wrote:
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually so-so on dungeon crawl games. What sold me on Myth are:

(i) Support for solo play;
(ii) The excellence of the deal at $100;
(iii) The Darkness mechanics, which seem very interesting; and,
(iv) Perhaps most importantly, the emphasis on heroic level. I'm expecting that the characters will be able to do some pretty funky stuff to clear those hordes of minions. So, lots of dead minion monsters and a lot of manouevre for the good guys. I hope the game plays like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
you will try and see right?
i guess a lot of people bought this to resell later

time will tell, when we see the rulebook, final sculpts etc.
it is a great deal to be honest. almost 200 figs for 100 usd. come on.
the game itself will be, I hope, not another Descent 2 type (as a Descent player I need to say this) but, again - time will tell.
Because you don't want two similar games or because you don't like Descent? But yet play it?

I doubt it is like Descent. But I wouldn't mind if it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting to see what the rule book is like. If it is a 50 page, ultra-complex game with lots of fiddly exceptions then I will be very very very sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought in at the Captain level and broke down and got the Spriggin because it is a KS exclusive and the Elemental Boss to round out the last base game army. I passed on the other gameplay features that would have taken my pledge to $225 simply because I am not sure about the game as a whole. The quests and traps weren't really explained, so I am not sure the game will end up being repetitious. Add the fact that I already own quite a few delving coops already.

The game I am really, truly looking forward to is Kingdom Death. I forked out quite a bit for that, but if it achieves what Adam Poots is aiming for it, it will transform the gaming table into something extraordinarily deep and rich.

Myth....we will see. I couldn't pass up on it, though.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it thinking if I hate it, I'll more than get my money back. I backed in the last 20 minutes.

With 4 minutes to go, I doubled down to get 2x captain levels. If I sell the second for more than $100, then I reduce the cost of my copy.

I might go in for the bard-looking heroes and the KS exclusive one as an addon in the next month. I figured as far as quests, we'll probably end up making some of our own. So card-only addons were not appealing.

I've been eyeing other Dungeon crawlers, but we don't own any DM-less ones other than Betrayal on House on the hill, and a copy of Dungeon run that is for sale. So if we don't like this I could sell all the myth and more than buy, say, the D&D Adventure sets.

Then again, minis alone would be good for Pathfinder and Heroscape.

Update: Apparently my doubling down didn't go through. I'm in at $100, and I actually feel relieved. The fact the pledge manager is going to be open to non-KS backers, speculators are going to be rampant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd only really ever back something if I thought there was a very good chance of liking the game, but since I'm more pro-thematic/luck than euro and love coops, I don't have much risk there. It will only depend on how it plays for me.

Anyway, if I thought it would not be my type of game, I'd avoid it because I don't really like trading/reselling. I prefer not to spend the time and effort to coordinate all that. I like to just buy (and sometimes wait) and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really know if I expect I'll like it or not.

I have not played anything like it before, as some have with Descent. The closest I've done is I guess Zombicide, just because they're both Cooperative. I'm pretty much banking on the fact that as Zombicide is by far the most popular game in my friendship groups because people enjoy playing cooperatively, that it could be fun too.

Based on appearance of the game without the hero elements, I probably wouldn't have backed, the square's movement isn't something that particularly attracts me & RP games where LoS stops you seeing people behind things just gets annoying. Although they seem to have minimal pointless LoS frustrations (Minions block, but that's fine, there doesn't seem to be random pillars and crap around the board which I like).

The real hook though which gives me reason to think I COULD like it, is the hero system, I really like the variation between classes, and the way we can upgrade our hero as we go etc etc. Looks very interesting.

Hope I fall into the 'do like it' category, but otherwise, I'm sure I can take it to boardgame events where others will enjoy it while I do other stuff! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Jones
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, don't fancy it at all. Looks to me like a slog of dice rolling combat with a deck mechanic to spice it up a bit. Repeat ad infinitum.

Difficult to tell how tactical it really is, regular skirmish game tactics don't look like they will apply.

But it was such a bargain I couldn't pass it up and I really hope that I will enjoy it. The quests could save it if they are actual missions that change each game drastically in the manner of scenarios, or they could just be tacked on and not change the basic game much. The character development over numerous games is another aspect that appeals too.

I don't like the idea of buying a kickstarter purely to re-sell as it seems dishonest and mercenary when I think games should be bought to be played.

However if the aftermarket is there and I don't like the game then it should be good for trade / sell if there's anyone left who didn't get it off the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Overall, I expect to enjoy it. But I get the feeling that it is a tad rushed, therefore I fully expect to houserule parts of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I bought in at the Captain level and broke down and got the Spriggin because it is a KS exclusive and the Elemental Boss to round out the last base game army. I passed on the other gameplay features that would have taken my pledge to $225 simply because I am not sure about the game as a whole. The quests and traps weren't really explained, so I am not sure the game will end up being repetitious. Add the fact that I already own quite a few delving coops already.

The game I am really, truly looking forward to is Kingdom Death. I forked out quite a bit for that, but if it achieves what Adam Poots is aiming for it, it will transform the gaming table into something extraordinarily deep and rich.

Myth....we will see. I couldn't pass up on it, though.

-Ski
Yeah KD sounded so awesome. Should had backed that. Haven't watched all the videos there either though

That you possibly only play on that small board (do you?) doesn't matter I guess if the content change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm just going for the $100 level myself. I've always wanted to find a game that you can play solitaire or co-op. I have tried to recreate Warhammer Quest on my own with printed tiles and cards, but it was too much of a hassle. My favorite game now is Super Dungeon Explore, though that can't be played solitaire. I don't really like the theme of the game because it's a little too dark and grim. I am however interested in the rules. I plan to convert some of the Super Dungeon Explore heroes and monsters to work in the scope of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:

That you possibly only play on that small board (do you?) doesn't matter I guess if the content change.

The actual gameboard is a MUCH larger 2' x 3' board.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barnes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I have no idea if I will like it or not.

But the people I usually play with much prefer the co-op games over games like Descent or SDE where one person plays the "bad guy". I am usually the one playing the Overlord type character, whlie I enjoy the challenge, I hate waiting for 30+ minutes at times when the heroes are deciding what to do. I would much rather participate with them than sit there waiting.

Overall, that is the big draw for me and why I kickstarted it. Considering Sentinels of the Multiverse is one of the top co-op games I play with my gaming people right now. Myth feels fairly similar, except with minis. The best part about these co-op games is it is more autonomous, and you don't have people telling other people what they should do, like Pandemic, Zombicide, etc.

The shear amount of bits and minis you get is amazing as well, and is pretty hard to pass up. I can't wait to get painting some actually high quality miniatures again, getting tired of the board gaming norm lately. I can't wait to get my hands on this though, it should be pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattVid wrote:
The shear amount of bits and minis you get is amazing as well, and is pretty hard to pass up.

Yeah, I hear you, but in some sense it feels like, "the amount of metal on that car is hard to pass up". And yet I see a lot of worthless cars.

MattVid wrote:
I can't wait to get painting some actually high quality miniatures again, getting tired of the board gaming norm lately.

That's my problem. I'm not bored of board gaming. In fact I have too many games with not enough time. But it would indeed be nice to have the minis painted. If you enjoy doing it so much, want to paint mine for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest concern is that I don't want another "Legend of Drizzt." Give me something a little deeper than that, at a minimum.

The game itself looks intriguing. I need the quests and interactions/variations of all the minion types and bosses to be meaningful.
I like the coop aspect which plays well with the family.

I guess we'll all find out how it plays in about 8 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I have a group that likes CoOps (WoA / AH right now) but the gameplay videos all felt a little flat. I was on the fence about this, but the exceptional value in minis sold it for me and I backed at the $100 level. I figure if the group ends up hating the game, I'll still be able to cycle through the minis in my next D&D campaign...

Now I just need to teach myself to paint....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Yeah, I hear you, but in some sense it feels like, "the amount of metal on that car is hard to pass up". And yet I see a lot of worthless

But no one talks about the value of all that metal on a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unsure if I'd like it, but the minis looked cool and and I figured if I didn't like it I could resell it. I went to the pledge page numerous times and came very close to pledging but in the end decided not to.

I'm wondering if there are lots of people who are buying kickstarter games with the intention of reselling it and the market just isn't going to be there. Kind of like BGG.Con last year where lots of people bought tickets assuming it'd be easy to sell them off if they couldn't make it and found that lots of other people had the same thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy most of the games for our gaming crowd, so I've become a bit selfish when it comes to spending my money on games: if I don't think I'm going to like a game, I don't buy it (or, in the case of crowdfunding, I don't back it).

(The obvious exception to this is "if my wife thinks she'll like it, I'll probably buy it," but that's because I'm so happy to have a gamer wife that I'll happily feed her habit.)

If someone else thinks they'll like it, they're more than welcome to spend their money on it, and if they bring it to the table, I'm more than happy to give it a try. But if it's going to live on my shelf, especially for an outlay of money on the scale of Myth, I damn well better enjoy playing it. I'm willing to be generous to my friends, but really? We're all adults here, we all have jobs that allow us some measure of disposable income, and games are, when all is said and done, a luxury.

(That being said, I pledged north of $250 on Myth because I'm pretty damn sure I'm going to like it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.