BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: WW Minecraft server operations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
So that we don't clog up the video game thread with Minecraft chatter, here's a thread to talk about the server.

Quote:
Server Address: magneticpole.com
Server Information: http://magneticpole.com/minecraft/

List of usernames:*

BGG..................Minecraft
Accatitippi..........Accatitippi
dbmurph22............dbmurph22
dcorrin..............dcorrin
ElAdoranSureshot.....Bioroid_Floyd
HanClinto............HanClinto
jageroxorz...........jageroxorz
linguistfromhell.....mutarjim
miraria..............mirarias
ptper................joshminerjosh
rabidmunchkin........rabidmunchkin
SuperChutney.........SuperChutney
SybotCB..............SybotCB
TheSparky............ferncrest2
washburnello.........Washburnello

*Punctuation and capitalization may vary from packaging. Not valid in all regions. Consult doctor if play lasts longer than four hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Last night we saw a good amount of activity for several hours as the server started. Now we have an underground base with a strip mine and indoor tree farm, and a farm for food/leather on the outside. Han's friend from another forum has also done a lot of work in making the whole place look pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot how addictive this game is. If... if somebody wants to go try to tame that abandoned mienshaft with me before 3 BGG, uh, send me a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Something just occurred to me...Han, do you have any kind of server protection or backup set up? I think we're pretty safe, but since we're posting the IP address publicly I would hate to have our stuff ruined by some bored griefer who's using google to find vulnerable public IP's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Something just occurred to me...Han, do you have any kind of server protection or backup set up? I think we're pretty safe, but since we're posting the IP address publicly I would hate to have our stuff ruined by some bored griefer who's using google to find vulnerable public IP's.

Yeah, I think there should be a whitelist, and the server IP GMed to interested individuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

You mean...there might be wolves in disguise in our village?surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Sigafoos wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

Yeah, I think there should be a whitelist, and the server IP GMed to interested individuals.

A whitelist would be the easiest solution I guess. Or we could add it to Cassie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Sigafoos wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

A whitelist would be the easiest solution I guess. Or we could add it to Cassie.

Good thinking, guys. I was mainly just waiting to see who all wanted to join before I made a whitelist, and didn't want to bother with it just yet.

I think once we get a decent population up and going, it should be easy to op a few players and make it easy to let new players in.

Good call about the backup -- I'll see what I can do about snapshotting it on a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So something I've been wondering...

...would it be possible to build an automated hidden-roles game in Minecraft with Redstone? I'm imagining a bunch of levers and buttons and whatnot. Simplest game would be Win / Lose / Banana, but it would be sweet to get a fast fiver Redstone game implemented as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you could.

Can I? No. But I'm sure you CAN.

Bonus: We literally kill the person we lynch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
Yes, you could.

Can I? No. But I'm sure you CAN.

I... I... this is brilliant. No idea how it'd work. But you can make a functioning computer, so I'm sure you could make Cassy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:

I absolutely love this. Piston crusher, lava drop, dumping monsters on top of you -- there are so many options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is just like Dwarf Fortress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional suggestions:

Have the walls slowly crush them.

Trap door down a really long pit. Bonus points for something nasty at the bottom. More bonus points for a bottomless pit.

Fill the room with water, drowning anyone inside. Bonus points for including a drainage system afterwards, making it reusable. More bonus points for using lava or acid instead of water.

Drop them into a small pit, then bury them alive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Fill the room with water, drowning anyone inside. Bonus points for including a drainage system afterwards, making it reusable. More bonus points for using lava or acid instead of water.

This is actually really easy. The way water/lava work in MC is that there are "source blocks" that it flows from. Block the source, the water/lava disappears (maybe not lava, but I think it does). So, a piston could be extended to block the flow. Person dies, piston is retracted, they burn. After a delay (which you can build in with redstone circuits) the piston is reactivated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I also really like the idea that an iron door opens behind you and makes you fight an endless stream (thanks to a spawner) of skeletons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dude
United States
flag msg tools
A whitelist is a good idea if the IP is going to be public.

-wash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So yeah, I'm thinking win / lose / potato totally needs to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, could we also please list our BGG usernames along with our Minecraft usernames, and consolidate that list in the top post?

BGG HanClinto == Minecraft HanClinto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is the same.

I play on logging in tonight. I haven't played since like, alpha, so this should be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
jageroxorz wrote:
Mine is the same.

I play on logging in tonight. I haven't played since like, alpha, so this should be interesting.

The Minecraft wiki has a version history so you can see what's been added since you last played: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history

Of course, if that amounts to "just about everything" then the page might be less useful. But the wiki is still good anyway, in the absence of any official tutorials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played at all, period. So perhaps a better question would be: What's the difference between this and Dwarf Fortress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dude
United States
flag msg tools
Dwarf Fortress is more a simulation where as Minecraft is first person and action based (though still very creative).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Urza47 wrote:
I haven't played at all, period. So perhaps a better question would be: What's the difference between this and Dwarf Fortress?

Well, I've never played Dwarf Fortress, so I can't tell you specifically. But from what I gather, one of the biggest differences is that it's first-person. You're not overseeing a base from a top-down view, you're actually digging it out brick by brick.

You're also not managing a town full of NPCs. I mean, there are a few neutral mobs, but the food-producing ones are generally corralled into a corner and then treated as a static object. You can see the wiki page on Villagers for information about those guys, but they are semi-rare and don't have much AI beyond "walk in a circle" and "sell stuff to the PCs".

If you like the nerdy programming aspect of Dwarf Fortress you should look into redstone in Minecraft, as it will probably be what interests you the most. Creating--and debugging--a cool device can be an endgame goal all by itself. The most recent updates have added a lot of functionality on that score, and now it's possible to use redstone to create fully automated factories where you press a button and several items are combined together to produce a craftable potion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Urza47 wrote:

Well, I've never played Dwarf Fortress, so I can't tell you specifically. But from what I gather, one of the biggest differences is that it's first-person. You're not overseeing a base from a top-down view, you're actually digging it out brick by brick.

You're also not managing a town full of NPCs. I mean, there are a few neutral mobs, but the food-producing ones are generally corralled into a corner and then treated as a static object. You can see the wiki page on Villagers for information about those guys, but they are semi-rare and don't have much AI beyond "walk in a circle" and "sell stuff to the PCs".

If you like the nerdy programming aspect of Dwarf Fortress you should look into redstone in Minecraft, as it will probably be what interests you the most. Creating--and debugging--a cool device can be an endgame goal all by itself. The most recent updates have added a lot of functionality on that score, and now it's possible to use redstone to create fully automated factories where you press a button and several items are combined together to produce a craftable potion.

I'm so going to play Minecraft and build an automatic espresso machine. Or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [84] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.