Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently looking to buy a fantasy board game that plays similar to D&D, but in one evening of gaming. I have a limited budget, but would like to have one for a gaming option. I have been looking at Descent, Runebound, and World of Warcraft. What does everyone think about these games. I have read all the reviews and still am not sure. Which one do you all think is better? Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal choice is WarCraft but I play WoW too much for my own good. Most people will say Descent and its great too (and has the more generic fantasy feel of D&D). The only big drawback to WoW and Descent is that they take a LONG time to play. Runebound is better but it can take an eternity between turns for players so players with less patience can get antsy while waiting for their turn to come around again.

I'd personally opt for Dungeoneer myself as it plays quick but its not a board game per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding I like Return of the Heroes the best.

I found Runebound's board to be too static for my taste, with Return you can change up the board a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
my vote would be for Descent:JitD. I'm even in the midst of making a Ravenloft campaign for Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three and like Descent the best. Another fantasy themed game that you might not have considered is Wizard Kings, a block game from Columbia, quite different from all the others you're looking at, but worth a look anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.