6 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Norton
msg tools
Hey all,
Absolutely love this game along with my wife. Sad thing is our local store is pretty set in their Magic The Gathering ways (which has a very large following if you are interested). Without being annoying, I've pushed the game and told many of the positives of Android Netrunner. I also have been playing many demo games along with playing many rounds with my wife at the store. Sadly enough no budge.

So my two questions are: 1. Any other ideas? and 2. I am stationed at Ft. Benning, GA so I am in the Columbus, GA, Phenix City, AL area. We are 1 1/2 hrs. south of Atlanta and the same from Montgomery, AL. So are there any clubs/ players near by?

The store we have here is called Moxie Paintball LLC. He actually stopped selling paintball merchandise, switched to gaming and is booming. I don't have the web address, but he has a facebook if you are interested. Any help would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CGTwo wrote:
Hey all,
Absolutely love this game along with my wife. Sad thing is our local store is pretty set in their Magic The Gathering ways (which has a very large following if you are interested). Without being annoying, I've pushed the game and told many of the positives of Android Netrunner. I also have been playing many demo games along with playing many rounds with my wife at the store. Sadly enough no budge.

So my two questions are: 1. Any other ideas? and 2. I am stationed at Ft. Benning, GA so I am in the Columbus, GA, Phenix City, AL area. We are 1 1/2 hrs. south of Atlanta and the same from Montgomery, AL. So are there any clubs/ players near by?

The store we have here is called Moxie Paintball LLC. He actually stopped selling paintball merchandise, switched to gaming and is booming. I don't have the web address, but he has a facebook if you are interested. Any help would be awesome!

Am I reading correctly that very available hour is taken up by M:tG Organized play?

By 'no budge', do you mean that M:tG players aren't interested, or that you're not allowed to have an organized play/league/event in the space?

-=-=-

I know Atlanta has a good scene going... Check out the player-finder geeklist (link in the main game section) to get specific contact info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not alone, it's the same problem all over the world. Let me show you why: it's really difficult to "switch" a retailer from Magic to Netrunner. The commercial model are just ridiculously different. Every tournament a store runs actually means SALES to the store - i.e. what players pay for entrance is actually paying for prizes, and an opportunity to gamble their skills against said prizes. Or it's a draft, whatever. Either way, it equates to sales.

On the flipside, Netrunner follows a closed, non-random booster format, that means buy their core set(s), buy their expansions, and play. And play and play and play. No random boosters needed, no prize support needed. I know as a Netrunner player I'm not really going to pay to enter a tournament with no prize support - cos I don't need a prize to support my habit.

And thus, if given a A or B choice, the store will go with the one that can make more money. It's not their fault, they're a business, so they should be maximising their profit.

So, for there to be a "scene" of any kind for Netrunner, we've found locally that it's up to the players, and not the store. What you're doing there is pretty much bang on the money - hang around, play demo games. Get people's interest. There are also other things that you can do:

1) Get interested players to bug the store about stock - that is probably the biggest thing you can do in terms of affecting the store. Place orders with the store, don't just wait for stock to come in - not only will that ensure you get the stuff you want (FFG is out of stock often and reprint takes forever), it also raises the game's profile in the store owners' mind.

2) Bug the store to get hold of the Game Night Kits and Regional Kits as prize support. Having prize support for events will be a fundamental attraction for people who play at home (They exist) to come out and play. Don't expect the store owner to foot the bill, negotiate. Just as MTG players pay to enter tournaments to = paying for boosters, Netrunner players paying for the prize package is perfectly reasonable.

3) Have an online base station that's easy to communicate. For us, our page www.facebook.com/netrunnerSA is our base. Join there. Use something to indicate that you have members

4) Put something up by the store, and use the URL.

5) Don't try to "replace" MTG in the local store event calendar, just ask for some space to play alongside them, or in the vicinity.

6) Don't try to "convert" MTG players, you'll just come across as pushy Jehovah's Witnesses. If they show interest, show them, be friendly, talk about Richard Garfield. Tell them how it sold out in the first 10 minutes of Gencon and FFG had to divert a palette shipment going elsewhere back to Gencon to keep up with demands at Gencon. Offer a demo game.

7) Again, current MTG players are not good targets for conversion. They love the crack that is opening boosters and finding epic legendaries. They love trading with noobs and scoring that epic trade they have to keep quiet about. Current MTG players are not going to like the LCG model.

8) EX-MTG PLAYERS, though, are the best targets. They're the ones who got tired of the booster rat-race, yet enjoy the strategy of card games. They'll really appreciate ANR. Most people playing ANR come from there.

The above just about sums up my experience in trying to get a scene going. It'll be a slow process, but it'll bear fruit sometime. We're seeing some growth, we just gotta keep it up.

Good luck guys! Looks like you're off to the right start anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm trying to build the scene in my city as well with moderate success and I can echo everything Tuism said.

We convinced the store to order three kits and split on them and had a recurring league. We all did preorders on the data packs, we recruited players by offering extra alternate art Melanges to new players. We kept a Facebook group going and advertised on the store's whiteboard.

MTG players rarely convert in my experience: even if they complain about the cost of their hobby, they actually love "leveling up" their collection and feeling special because they have rare and overpowered cards.

You would have more luck targeting other board gamers, who are used to having a balanced game in a package and buying expansions.

The only thing I can add is having a couple of approachable extra decks available in order to teach new players, and to try to be as welcoming as possible. It can be intimidating for casual players to come out to play with a bunch of strangers that all have their playmats and fancy dice out and you want to put them at ease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louie
United States
Columbus
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Trying to startup a gamers night... Check it out

Don't care much for Magic, Miniatures or any of the collectible card games

Anyone have some Cards Against Humanity?! Would love to play this!

http://www.meetup.com/Meeples-of-Columbus/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Fuller
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE ON THE SITUATION: there are players in the very store mentioned now. Only a few, but growing. And the store owner would really like to run a demo and even tournaments for A:Netrunner in the near future.

I will say I have had the best luck with ex-Magic players as mentioned above. It's best to catch them on the way out; just after they've traded in all of their Magic but they are still looking for something to play. But some regular Magic guys are becoming more open to other games. A great selling point is to mention it was designed by the same guy.

I have taught the game to several players with little to no negative responses and and the interest is growing. A lot of our time is chewed up with other games but it does get played! Anyone else in the area is encouraged to stop by and play; I'd love to help setup a regular A:Netrunner group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.