Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bunker's Recharge Mode and extra draws. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the game once, and the rules were explained to me, so I didn't get a chance to actually read them. I was playing Bunker, and to me, Recharge Mode sounded rather useless. Sure, I took less damage, but I only got to draw one extra card, and couldn't use powers- whereas Bunker's innate power already allowed that. I realized that Ammo Drop would still work, but to me it seemed like I was essentially doing nothing to reduce damage by 1...

However, preparing to purchase my own copy I'm reading through the rules and noticed it says that if you don't use any powers or play any cards, you get to draw an extra card during your draw phase... Does this stack with Recharge Mode? Obviously, the first turn you play the card, it wouldn't work since you have to play Recharge Mode, but on subsequent turns, would I be able to draw three cards during each draw phase due to this rule and the extra draw from Recharge Mode?
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it does stack. So you would draw 3 cards per turn with Recharge Mode active and no cards played or powers used.

The promo version of Bunker has a different innate power, so Recharge Mode may be even more useful for him.
4 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it stacks with extra card draw from skipping play and power phases, so you get a total of three cards starting on the turn after you play Recharge Mode. It can be quite handy for turtling up, especially if you have Heavy Plating out as well.

Edit: Admin ninja'd.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The modes definitely aren't as generally useful as most hero cards, since whereas most hero cards are all-upside, the modes are very much zero-sum. If you're not prepared to concentrate exclusively on what they offer, they're usually not worth it.

That being said, if I'm fighting a villain that doesn't have too much earlygame pressure, my ideal Bunker opening plays look something like turn 1 Upgrade Mode and Ammo Drop, turn 2 Heavy Plating and Recharge Mode. I get to spend a few turns drawing cards to set up for a nova later in the game, and having someone with damage taken -2 eating the "damage to hero with highest HP" effects can take the pressure off the others too.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
I've only played the game once, and the rules were explained to me, so I didn't get a chance to actually read them. I was playing Bunker, and to me, Recharge Mode sounded rather useless. Sure, I took less damage, but I only got to draw one extra card, and couldn't use powers- whereas Bunker's innate power already allowed that. I realized that Ammo Drop would still work, but to me it seemed like I was essentially doing nothing to reduce damage by 1...

However, preparing to purchase my own copy I'm reading through the rules and noticed it says that if you don't use any powers or play any cards, you get to draw an extra card during your draw phase... Does this stack with Recharge Mode? Obviously, the first turn you play the card, it wouldn't work since you have to play Recharge Mode, but on subsequent turns, would I be able to draw three cards during each draw phase due to this rule and the extra draw from Recharge Mode?


I had COMPLETELY missed this rule. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I had always thought Bunker kind of sucked for this reason, but that extra card draw changes things quite a bit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He draws 2 cards on the first turn you played Recharge mode though. But after that the 3 cards a turn is quite useful for either fueling an auto-turret or even just sit back with 2 reduce with your armor plating and fuel your omnitron cannon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the gatling gun! (I think it's the gatling gun). "At the start of turn, do damage". Put that out + recharge mode and you can still do attacks without playing cards or using powers and still draw 3 cards at the end of turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Several heroes have a turtle mode that could benefit from this, I believe. I'm pretty sure both Visionary and Ab0 can, and I'm betting there are others . . .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerardo Paz
msg tools
Does the extra card for recharge mode stack with other abilities that allow him to draw cards (ie Legacy's Bolster Allies, Ammo Drop etc) if these were to be played on him while in recharge mode does he get an additional draw as the mode says he draws extra cards not necessarily that they have to be during the draw phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recharge Mode wrote:
You may draw an additional card during your draw phase

so other draws are not affected by Recharge Mode.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoy making the transition from Upgrade Mode into Turret Mode. Play Turret Mode ad the second card of the turn and start laying down the pain. And don't forget that Air Drop allows for card draws while in Turret Mode!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks for asking this.. that thought never occurred to me and would have been beneficial to know 2 hours ago!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Don't forget the gatling gun! (I think it's the gatling gun). "At the start of turn, do damage". Put that out + recharge mode and you can still do attacks without playing cards or using powers and still draw 3 cards at the end of turn.


I'm at work, but isn't the GG a Power? Or is it not? If not, I'd missed this, & SO can't wait to use it! Although it's hard to bear going through the modes, I love Bunker & love running through a Recharge/Upgrade/Turret sequence.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
M00NSYLVER wrote:
kusinohki wrote:
Don't forget the gatling gun! (I think it's the gatling gun). "At the start of turn, do damage". Put that out + recharge mode and you can still do attacks without playing cards or using powers and still draw 3 cards at the end of turn.


I'm at work, but isn't the GG a Power? Or is it not? If not, I'd missed this, & SO can't wait to use it! Although it's hard to bear going through the modes, I love Bunker & love running through a Recharge/Upgrade/Turret sequence.


No, it's not a power.
"At the beginning of your turn, deal 1 target 2 damage.

At end of turn discard a card or destroy GG"

So you only really get 2 cards out of the deal, but it's the best 2 out of 3.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.