United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Does anyone have any good ideas for backing up multiple linux servers? My simple backup solution (using rsync) is good for now, but as BGG goes into a multi server setup, I would like to get something a little better and automated. I will be doing remote backups over the internet to my systems here at home.

I would prefer something with an interface and it doesn't necessarily have to be free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out...

http://www.amanda.org/

or...

http://www.bacula.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil v
United States
Richmond (North of Berkeley)
California
flag msg tools
I take it that you're only interested in off-site solutions, not simply redundancy?

How much data are you dealing with?

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I was planning on setting up about 1.5TB raid array for backups.

Are tape drives a viable solution?

We're sitting right around 100GB for data and 1GB for the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, tapes. Avoid tapes if you can. They're expensive and not worth the price.

I have heard many good things about rsnapshot. It doesn't have a GUI that I'm aware of, but once you set it up it should just happily run. It uses rsync and hard links to create a set of backups: a full backup and incremental backups, configurable as to how many. Since it uses rsync, it can pretty easily back up remote systems.

I have not used it myself, but I have a couple of friends who've used it to back up some very large systems, one of them with considerably more data than you have - multiple TB.

http://www.rsnapshot.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our company uses several Buffalo TeraStation 1.6 TB file servers for back-ups.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bacula is nice - config files are relatively clear, and it's trouble-free once you get it up and running. Handling of disk backups is good, handling of tape backups I can't confirm until I take the autochanger that is currently my footstool home and get it hooked up. Good clean architecture - controller, storage, client and job/file/media database are fully separated, so you can shuffle functions between machines as appropriate.

It doesn't do encrypted sessions without either some stunnel hacks or getting the cvs / developer version, but if all your boxes are in the same data centre, that shouldn't be an issue.

Non-free, I've had good experiences with both Veritas NetBackup and Arkeia, although neither is especially cheap.

Other points:

- Tape is good if you want to be to say that *these* physical items contain a snapshot of the data on *this* day, take them away and put them in a fire safe just in case it all goes *really* wrong. Trying to do that off a RAID is hard. Depends to an extent on how much you trust physical plant in your DC.

- Database backups are a pain. There's three ways to do it:

I'm currently using Bacula to do similar home hosting centre backups (personal files at home to spare disks on the hosted server, hosted stuff to spare disk at home), although obviously not on the same sort of data volumes as BGG!

1. Dump the database (and hope it remains consistant while you're dumping). Back up the dump files.
2. Shut down the database and back up the actual data files.
3. Back up data files while the database is live and hope the consistancy isn't too bad.

The second is safe as houses, but needs enough of a regular maintenance window to cope. Again, there are pay-for options (things like Oracle) that let you take database snapshots in order to let you back up a live database without shutting down anything, but I don't know of any freeware DBs that will let you do this easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard decent things about Novastor (http://www.novastor.com/) and will be looking into their online backup product for a solution at work. Looks like their network solution supports Linux, their online one needs the client to run on Windows but can back up non-Windows systems across the network from that machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.