Subject: point tile problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert shelflife
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a couple of times now and we have run out of point tiles to use. Is there somewhere you can buy more tiles to use? Or has anyone come up with a solution to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
If you're running out of point tiles, it's likely you're playing something(s) wrong.

I suggest reviewing the end-of-round scoring and discarding rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thestacy wrote:
I've played this a couple of times now and we have run out of point tiles to use. Is there somewhere you can buy more tiles to use? Or has anyone come up with a solution to this?

When points run out in any game (and yes, there aren't enough in the game - but more importantly, the bag is too small if listing production faults) we just scavenge for something. Pound coins, beer mats (our club meets in a pub), bits from another game, whatever. Make them a denomination above what the game provides - 20s for PoR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
If you're running out of point tiles, it's likely you're playing something(s) wrong.

IIRC you can run out with correct play, with maximum players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
fnord23 wrote:

IIRC you can run out with correct play, with maximum players.

If you run low, take 10-20 points away from each player, then continue distributing points. Make sure when writing down scores that you add the points back in to be "authentic". I've had to do this at least a couple times over the years, but it's not a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thestacy wrote:
Curiuos, what have your scores been for each player, and how many players?

I find that with this and Ra, good scores can go to up to 60 to 70 pts per player in a 3p game with others around 30 to 50. Our 4p and 5p games tend to be with 1 player maxed at 40 to 55, with others around 15 to 40. I can't recall the total you're given in point tiles, but it seems like roughly 190pts (around 8 tens, 16 fives, and probably 30pts in twos and ones)?

That question aside, yeah, I'd just use other tokens, like each real $$ of coins (pennies, nickels) are 20 each, grab a cubes from another game, or just make the anks in this game 20pts each, after assigning the pts you get from the anks themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I find that with this and Ra, good scores can go to up to 60 to 70 pts per player in a 3p game with others around 30 to 50.

I think you get higher scores in PoR - fewer negatives (assuming you avoid plagues) and there are some potentially significant end game bonuses. Of course some people won't hand out those bonuses in point tiles, but add the two together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert shelflife
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 3 player game it was 69-65-84. On the 5 player game everyone had around 50 or 60 points. I just don't remember the exact score. This was with 2 different groups. I let someone else follow the scoring from the rules each time, so I don't think we scored anything wrong. I guess there's always that chance, .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
I have played six games of Priests of Ra and in the last one I ran out of fame markers. The scores were 111, 92, and 38 which equals 241. If you total all the fame markers in the box they come to 226. In three other games we almost ran out. And that's a pain too, as I had to dole out multiple 1's and 2's when people needed 10's.

Prior to buying Priests of Ra I played about twenty games of Ra, and we never ran out of fame markers, or even came close. So I think there's truth to what a prior poster said that Priests of Ra has less negative scoring to counter some of the positive (ala Ra).

Since my last game of Priests of Ra last month I've been pondering how to handle this fame shortage. I'm thinking about using the six blank/white square tiles that came with the game. A quick fix would be to write "30" or "50" on them with a pen. Though for theme sake I may use my scanner and try to put three of the upside down U's on them to represent 30 in Egyptian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Ward wrote:
I have played six games of Priests of Ra and in the last one I ran out of fame markers. The scores were 111, 92, and 38 which equals 241. If you total all the fame markers in the box they come to 226. In three other games we almost ran out. And that's a pain too, as I had to dole out multiple 1's and 2's when people needed 10's.

Prior to buying Priests of Ra I played about twenty games of Ra, and we never ran out of fame markers, or even came close. So I think there's truth to what a prior poster said that Priests of Ra has less negative scoring to counter some of the positive (ala Ra).

Since my last game of Priests of Ra last month I've been pondering how to handle this fame shortage. I'm thinking about using the six blank/white square tiles that came with the game. A quick fix would be to write "30" or "50" on them with a pen. Though for theme sake I may use my scanner and try to put three of the upside down U's on them to represent 30 in Egyptian.
You really could just do away with the rule of each player starting with 10pts then. It's unlikely anyone would go below 0. However, as mentioned, it would be inconsistent to compare scores across various games though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote it already in my review not too long after the game was published that it was wrong to have the same number of scoring tiles as in Ra - we already run out of point tiles in the first game we played. It really seems to be the best solution to open with 0 points as it's almost sure that everyone is going to be on the positive side in the end of the first era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thestacy wrote:
On the 5 player game everyone had around 50 or 60 points.

Not everyone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert shelflife
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol. Sorry Chris. I'm getting too old to be able to remember all the scores.
I think next time I'll try it without anyone starting with any points and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ingersoll
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it should be noted that I did in fact manage to score -1 points in the first epoch during that game, so there's a light precedent to having those starting points in place. But ten seems like way too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyolynce wrote:
Although it should be noted that I did in fact manage to score -1 points in the first epoch during that game, so there's a light precedent to having those starting points in place. But ten seems like way too many.

It is possible to lose 10 points in the first epoch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Vyolynce wrote:

It is possible to lose 10 points in the first epoch.

Just buy plagues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart McLagan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For any scoring issues with any board game, I use the chips from a poker/roulette set I've got.

Different colours equal different values.

Easy peasy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really don't need to turn any of the final scoring points (Ankhs, Pyramid, Suns) into physical VP chips at the end. Its only adjusting your score for 3 additional variables, and the proof of what you have is there on the table in plain sight! This is a non-issue because realistically it is only those three bonuses that could bankrupt your VP chip stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.