Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in playing by forum with someone since I mostly play solo, but I have some protocol questions.

1. What is considered an acceptable time period in which to take a turn. I'd like to be able to play at 1 or 2 turns a day without feeling like the other players are waiting on me. Is this reasonable? I supposed it could just be entered as a constraint when setting up the game.

2. If I want to set up a game, do I post a message in the PBF forum, take the next available number, specify the game constraints (type, number of players, variant rules, etc.) and start when enough players have shown interest?

3. Is it customary to have a host who is separate from the players?

Any feedback is welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fold! There are a couple of other players interested in trying PBF for the first time, so you might be closer to playing your first game than you think. Here are my thoughts in response to your questions:

1. One or 2 turns a day is great, though I doubt anyone would shame you if you took a turn every other day. If you're going to miss several days, it'd be polite to let the other players know.

2. There is an "interest thread" in this forum, but you're probably going to end up in a game just because you posted this. At least, that's what happened with my first game. I asked an innocent question and, poof! Suddenly, four dudes popped out of the woodwork to say they wanted to try PBF, too.

3. Yes. A recent game spearheaded by a very innovative gentleman uses a process by which the players mod the game for themselves, but for your first game, having a non-playing moderator would probably be the easiest way to go.

When I have time in a couple of days, I'm going to make a post describing everything a player needs to know in order to participate in a PBF. Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rojas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to get involved in 1 of those PbF too!!!

- Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start a competetive PBF i would be in, would be my first competetive one, played so far only cooperatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory B
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
I'll Take Those Fantasy Women!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started my first game here, a PBEM (play by email) through vassal and I have to say its been great. You don't need a moderator because vassal takes care of everything, you just post when you've taken your turn and the next player is up.

We're averaging about 1 turn a day (don't forget there are players all over the world here) and I'll definitely be starting/joining another one when this one is finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still interested if there's a game in the works for first timer PBFers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested as well as a first time pbf-er. I've played mage knight many times though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! So it took me a bit longer than "a few days," but I have completed my thread for helping new PBF players!

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12236038

Here's hoping this provides enough of a push to get you folks started. I think you have enough bodies for a game here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.