Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Possibility of Circular Bases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cordz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Myth team,

First of all, congratulations on a fantastically run kickstarter! Your implementation of stretch goals and add-ons was brilliant, and your interaction with the myth fan base is superb. So far, everything about the game looks great, except the bases for the miniatures. I for one would vastly prefer circular bases as I think they are much more aesthetically pleasing, and allow the figures to be more easily used as custom characters in other games such as heroscape. To all the other backers, do you prefer round or square bases and why? And to the designers, is there any possibility that you could go with circular bases instead? I realize this may not be possible, and in consideration of everything else you have done for us backers in the form of free stretch goals I will be more than happy just to receive the excellent product you guys will have made in January, square bases and all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for round bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
They said they would be square in the video of gameplay, to fit on the board better. I expect they will stick with that.

EDIT: And people who intend to use the miniatures in Warhammer Quest or something like that would prefer square bases. Ya can't please 'em all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
It depends, as there are positives and negatives to each. If there are any gameplay mechanics that are affected by the facing of a model, then I'd say square bases, as its much easier to gauge that on square bases, usually. If there are no gameplay mechanics affected by facing, then I'd say it doesn't really matter if its square or round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
round bases are more for skirmish games while square for boardgames. let us stay with square ones, its not that bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
It depends, as there are positives and negatives to each. If there are any gameplay mechanics that are affected by the facing of a model, then I'd say square bases, as its much easier to gauge that on square bases, usually. If there are no gameplay mechanics affected by facing, then I'd say it doesn't really matter if its square or round.

The soldier has a cleave that attacks an arc (it was the card that got shown everywhere). So I guess facing matters... unless you can pick whichever arc you want to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want round bases, and the game comes with square bases, I have a solution for you: buy round bases. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kim
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
On the comments of the Myth Kickstarter, Bryan Koch states:

Quote:
The minions that come with bases shall indeed have square bases.

So it will be square bases, not round according to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Devil's Advocate here, but MERCS (conveniently, another game by the same company) is a skirmish style game with round bases in which facing is a HUGE component of play. Flank shots hit easier and harder and shots in back more so. People have taken to painting their bases with indicators called "Reaper Markings" (named for the forum goer who came up with the idea) for clarity. This works just fine.

But I am accustomed to square bases. Thanks to Games Workshop, in my head, square is fantasy, round is sci fi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I prefer round bases myself. If I hate them, guess I'll just buy new bases. They can't be that expensive right? Right? I only need like 320+ for Myth

Ballpark figure:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Square bases are generally for game where ranking the units into formations is important. Like Warhammer Fantasy, Fields of Glory, etc.

Round are used for games where loose or "skirmish" formation is used.

This is by no means common across model ranges, square seem prevalent for most regardless.

Square also looks much better if you plan to dungeon floor texture and detail the base tops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely for round bases. They are easy to manipulate and less bulky. They will also fit with all games I have so far which is quite important for me.
There are no ranks or unit formations in Myth and I dont believe facing is important so I dont understand the choice of square ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
I am definitely for round bases. They are easy to manipulate and less bulky. They will also fit with all games I have so far which is quite important for me.
There are no ranks or unit formations in Myth and I dont believe facing is important so I dont understand the choice of square ones.

The board has square spaces, and dozens of miniatures in play at once. It makes sense to pick square, so everything sits neatly on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty intentional on using my zombicide & myth mini's together, but I still think the square bases > round for the game itself, and for custom stuff, who cares if they're different, it's just a base!

I think the square bases are going to be really useful when working out what 10 rats are doing. Circular bases and I can see them getting skewed off the grid & with so many it'll be hard to see where they were meant to be, would just be frustrating.

Square: Grid-based gaming
Circle: Haphazard/Zone based (i.e. like where you put a group in a zone in zombicide).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Round work better. They do not take up the whole space for one thing which allows you see some/part of the terrain underneath. That could be important. Being able to see the four corners of the square in the terrain also helps keep the figures in their respective spot... bunching everyone together because they are on square bases has not worked any better in keeping all the figures in their respective spots in my experience. Square bases just cut down on their usage in other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Heroquest used round bases on a grid and it was horrible.

Warhammer Quest used square bases and I much preferred that.

I guess everyone has a favourite, and as already said, there is nothing stopping people changing the bases if they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:

Thus far, facing HAS proven important since the soldier has a cleave ability that affects monsters along his front facing. That's one ability of dozens we haven't seen yet. There are also several ranged abilities and in ANY game that uses LOS, facing will matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is fine we have several opinions here that do not agree. In my opinion, games that rely on infantry facing get bogged down... larger models and machines seem to be fine and more intuitive on their facing. I have grown accustomed to the games that give infantry a 360 degree arc of fire or LOS... weapons teams are different, but that is a whole different genre. At least so far as Myth is concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
okocnar wrote:

Thus far, facing HAS proven important since the soldier has a cleave ability that affects monsters along his front facing. That's one ability of dozens we haven't seen yet. There are also several ranged abilities and in ANY game that uses LOS, facing will matter.

Well facing is not important in every game that uses LOS.
Descent and DnD 4e are examples too the contrary and there have too more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.