Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've been yearning to try this game out. Possibly because I've never gotten to play such a big Print'n'Play build before. It was very exciting! Of course, my hopes were nearly crushed when the guys saw the ziplock bag with all the parts in it. After a bit of cajoling, we started to play.

Lesson learned: Make a pretty and shiny box to make people play.

Players: Houses Bushido (red), Yaksha (green), Daedalus (blue) and Vanir (purple).

(Names masked to protect the not-so-innocent.)

Everything started very slowly, each of the houses having chosen where to begin, and slowly exploring their way around. By the second round, Bushido and Daedalus decided that they should get to "know" the other houses in the galaxy. By which I mean to say, they both started building up military strength. Sadly for Daedalus, he kept ending up with only low-power military on the hexes he could explore. Instead, he always had strong embassies (political) on the hexes he could choose. So by the end of round three he amassed quite a lot of political capital, specifically in the brown faction. Bushido was much more lucky with his hex-choices, and got quite a few massive military locations within striking distance of other players' hexes in the galactic core.

It would have been nice if Bushido and Daedalus were near each other, and would have blasted each other up a bit. Instead, they sandwiched the other two players.

Let's just say that house Yaksha was quickly becoming desperate. On one hand, there was Daedalus, taking over his planets with politics. On the other side (and kinda surrounding him) was house Bushido - in control of the galactic core, and with a fleet on the way. I guess that strategy of "I don't know what to do, so I'll focus on everything" didn't quite pan out.

What next happened is that house Vanir exploded in takeovers. He'd been exploring and building nothing except industrial (well, he had 1 military base from round one). Having gotten 3 hexes with only industrial was great, and chaining them together for extra power was even better! With a really annoying combination of industrial power and oh-so-cleverly placed warp gates, he broke Bushido's hold on the galactic core. He also got lucky (or planned it this way) and there was no way for Daedalus to get to him without battling through either Vanir or Yaksha. Speaking of Yaksha, he had spent much of is actions just collecting money and spending it on pecking at Bushido.

Honestly, I'm sure Yaksha could have done better.

Anyway, the game was ended by Vanir spending all his actions to fill the spaces of the galaxy before anyone else could win.

Didn't work, either. House Bushido, fat with the all the points from the first few rounds, took the with only a couple points. I think it was thanks to the galactic boards he controlled exclusively throughout the game, and also a bunch of Technologies he had upgraded to during the last round.

Daedalus came in last. Which made me sad, because I played that house. (What can I say, I like blue.)
Next time, I'll actually aim for control instead of power! That's where the points are!

Lesson Learned: Scoring is all that matters. Don't let other player get or keep exclusive control, and don't let up!

I'm a little fuzzy about the end, because it was late and I was tired. So I apologize for the lack of scores (I didn't write them down). We'll play again, I'm sure.

And next time I'll make a pretty box for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up, thanks for sharring!

I agree there is a bit of a learning curve / realization at the end of the first game when so say to yourself exactly what you said:

Quote:
Next time, I'll actually aim for control instead of power! That's where the points are!

Lesson Learned: Scoring is all that matters. Don't let other player get or keep exclusive control, and don't let up!

Often a player with a lot of concentrated power, is more concentrated, and hence has less pressence in many different regions. So they can throw their weight around and win lots of conflicts; but their opponent's can just rebuild in locations that net them more points. Key is timing all of of this so when the end of round scoring hits, the guy with all the power uses up all their money attacking and just has to sit there while the other player can use the last phase to build a bunch and get in a better scoring position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shalom Craimer
Israel
Givat Zeev
(Near Jerusalem)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm honored!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.