New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This month's laurel was worn by ...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Adam W!

winner of the April New York Netrunner tournament! 22 players participated this month, and after 88 total runs the winner piloted his Noise/NBN and crushed the finalists Noise/Weyland with a final score of 16-12.

Final rankings

Half the field (11 players) was dominated by Haas-Bioroid this month. The remaining 11 were split 6-5 between Weyland and NBN; not a single player brave the mysteries of Jinteki, unfortunately. NBN's position improved compared to last month. The runner side was split almost equally with 8 Shapers (50-50 between Kate and Chaos Theory), 7 Criminals and 7 Anarchs (including two Whizzards!)- which means Chaos lost its popularity while Anarchs almost doubled their presence.

A fellow player filmed the finals and I am waiting for him to upload the movies.

Matchup statistics
Unlike previous tournaments I have taken the points tally on a game-by-game basis (rather than player-by-player). This means I could calculate a couple of matchup statistics. 47% of games were won by the Runner. Here is the complete breakdown:

It is interesting to note Gabe's inability to defeat NBN. Shaper and Anarch seem to be balanced versus the other Corps. The important thing though is that Gabe is undefeated vs. HB, the Corp du jour- being as aggressive as possible seems to counter HB's fast advance.

Random ravings
o The game night kit is quite neat. People are excited by the alternative-art cards, and the miscellaneous goodies were randomly distributed between the non-top-8, which means even less experienced players had a chance at loot.

o I often saw players neglecting to utilize their Compromised Employee. Don't forget to take a bit when the Corp rezzes an Ice (incl. due to Forced Activation Orders). And don't forget the recurring Credit- which is especially useful versus Ichi 1.0 (many Corps would refrain from increasing the trace).

Deck lists
Adam W., winner
NBN: Making News

3x AstroScript Pilot Program
3x Breaking News
2x Restructured Datapool
3x False Lead
1x Private Security Force

3x Private Contracts
3x Snare!
3x PAD Campaign
3x Marked Account

3x Draco
3x Tollbooth
3x Data Raven
2x TMI
2x Wall of Static
3x Enigma
2x Pop-up Window
1x Rototurret

2x Scorched Eart
3x Anonymous Tip
1x SEA Source

Noise

3x Sure Gamble
2x Stimhack
1x Inside Job
1x Vamp
3x Deja Vu

2x Grimoire
2x Plascrete Carapace

3x Medium
3x Imp
3x Parasite
3x Datasucker
2x Crypsis
3x Djinn
1x Nerve Agent

2x Ice Carver
2x Wyldside
3x Liberated Account
3x Armitage Codebusting
2x Personal Workshop
1x Aesop's Pawnshop

Scott D., finalist
Weyland: Because We Build It

3x Government Contracts
3x Posted Bounty
3x Project Atlas
2x Hosted Bounty

3x Snare!
3x Ghost Branch

3x Hadrian's Wall
3x Ice Wall
3x Caduceus
3x Shadow
3x Enigma
3x Archer

3x Scorched Earth
3x SEA Source
3x Beanstalk Royalties
3x Commercialization
2x Hedge Fund

Noise

3x Deja Vu
2x Inside Job

3x Cyberfeeder
3x Rabbit Hole
2x Spinal Modem

3x Datasucker
3x Parasite
3x Imp
3x Nerve Agent
3x Medium
3x Crypsis
2x Wyrm
1x Deus Ex

3x Wyldside
3x Armitage Codebusting
3x Underworld Contacts
2x Aesop's Pawnshop

Thank you for reading and we'll meet again in May's tournament!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for posting this! And I'm really glad that you've started recording game-level scores. The extra granularity reveals some really interesting numbers.

HB not in the top 3 and Criminal not in the top 4 are interesting things to see given all the talk we tend to see about them. As is the seeming difficulty Gabe has against non-HB decks.

Admittedly the sample size is small here, but the numbers are fascinating nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anathomical wrote:
Thanks for posting this! And I'm really glad that you've started recording game-level scores. The extra granularity reveals some really interesting numbers.

HB not in the top 3 and Criminal not in the top 4 are interesting things to see given all the talk we tend to see about them. As is the seeming difficulty Gabe has against non-HB decks.

Admittedly the sample size is small here, but the numbers are fascinating nonetheless.

Their videos are great also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
No Jinteki?

Oh well, Whirlpool and Ronin should change that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
This is so interesting. In an 18 ice HB fast advance deck I've been having balls of a time getting the necessary ice up fast enough to defend against hq runs coming from sneakdoor x 3 decks. Criminal, by way of requiring so many more ice to shelter hq in a corp deck that tends to amass a few agendas early, is definitely my achilles for what otherwise seems an OP deck.

As others have suggested getting an 1 ice remote up fast to put down some of those early agendas, this also gets eaten by special order/inside job, and only furhter weakens early central defenses. In short, a damned shame. I may even switch to nbn for tourney as a result of the criminal concentration in meta right now, where otherwise, HB fast advance would be like, the nobrainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bingo Little
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Wow. Also, super wierd noise decks. Holy crap. 2 plascretes 2 grimoire 1 aesops vamp!! or the other deus x!! Crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Larner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I find this surprising given that at my last regionals, I found Criminal was a really good match-up for HB FA. Jopejope also says (in his strat post on the Crim deck he piloted in the So Cal regionals) that he thinks HB FA is probably the worst match-up to play against as Criminal, so I'm interested to see that this doesn't seem to be the case in other metas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I can shed some insight on Gabe being unable to beat NBN. I played against Charles M in the fourth round. We both had 10 prestige points. You can see he has 16, and I still have 10 (yet again).

What he did was pretty simple. All of his ICE were pretty strong and almost all of them had run-ending subroutines except maybe Ichi. I used every trick in the book to break in. I parasited ICE down. I inside jobbed. The only thing was I was unlucky and didn't draw sneakdoor, but he ICEd up the archives anyway. Even with corroder, TMI is expensive. He had a melange in an impenetrable remote that I couldn't trash. I even deja-vu'd to use the tricks again.

He used that to rez every strong ICE in the universe. He never let me score a bank job even once. When my economy is based on making successful runs, and I can't make many successful runs, it's a problem. The runs were so expensive that the criminal ended up playing like ashaper. But since there was no magnum opus, successful runs were very infrequent. I also couldn't afford to win a single trace on anything ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
No Jinteki?

Jinteki are on par with Weyland and HB, in my opinion. I've been playing them since CE and been loving it (and winning). They play very differently than the other Corps, though, which I suspect is why people avoid playing them.

anathomical wrote:
HB not in the top 3 and Criminal not in the top 4 are interesting things to see given all the talk we tend to see about them.

From a quick survey of decks, none of them were built to optimally abuse their respective faction's powers. There was only one dedicated fast advance HB deck, and even he did not feel confident enough in pure fast advance and insisted on including expensive Ice. The Criminal decks incorporated all sorts of shenanigans instead of going pure aggro.

I think an aggro Gabe (my building, for example) plus pure fast-advance HB would win the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wersan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZa_vHuBsCM

Here's the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.