Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came across a link to this:

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

It's short, and the questions are rather easy. What I found interesting was the statistical breakdown at the end. I'd link that directly but I'm on my phone and it'd get messy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

This quiz is going around the interwebs, all my friends have reported the same score as I got
i.e. 13/13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good grief: 7% (seven percent) of the public got all answers correct.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Fifty-nine percent of college grads answered the question about electrons and atoms correctly.
Less than a third of college grads knew which gas makes up most of our atmosphere.

I think I'll have a good cry now.

On the other hand,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
95% of college grads knew why overuse of antibiotics is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
This reinforces my hypothesis that either people are really dumb, or only really dumb people took this quiz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think anyone on this site would miss MAYBE 2 if any at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Hendrickx
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was possessively surprised by the average result. Good half the questions needed an introductory level in either chemistry or physics. Something I don't regard as common knowledge everyone should know.
On the other hand everyone with a degree in exact sciences should score 13 out of 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Check the dropoff in some of those after age 65. Hard to know whether old people lose such knowledge (while retaining the ability to fill out surveys) or whether schools actually did improve a good deal some time ago. If the second, at least our averages will go up as the oldsters die off. Also interesting is that it seems as though men beat women in science generally, but the trend is reversed for medical science.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
svenius wrote:
Good half the questions needed an introductory level in either chemistry or physics.

None of those questions require anything more than basic science classes at the high school level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svenius wrote:
Good half the questions needed an introductory level in either chemistry or physics.

Introductory level to what?

Nails rusting as a chemical reaction, nitrogen most common gas, electrons smaller than atoms? Age 11 when I was at school. (OK, a selective school, but the elementary part of an age 16 exam in chemistry for the average student.)

[Yes, I'm a 13/13, any less would have been embarrassing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
13/13

I gather we all did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
svenius wrote:

None of those questions require anything more than basic science classes at the high school level.

The fracking question probably hasn't made it into HS text books yet since it's only recently been done with enough efficiency to make it worthwhile.

That would explain why the youngest demographic made an uncharacteristic dip in their score
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
13/13

I gather we all did.

Given the filter of opening a thread labelled Science and Technology quiz, that's enough to weed out pretty much anyone who wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

The fracking question probably hasn't made it into HS text books yet since it's only recently been done with enough efficiency to make it worthwhile.

Its ease comes not from science but news. I will admit that's where I got it from. (Technology news sources as well as general new sources, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Hendrickx
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
svenius wrote:

Nails rusting as a chemical reaction, nitrogen most common gas, electrons smaller than atoms? Age 11 when I was at school. (OK, a selective school, but the elementary part of an age 16 exam in chemistry for the average student.)

Sure it's all high school stuff, but that doesn't mean everyone took that class. eg knowing that electrons are smaller than atoms requires a working understanding of the atomic model. If you're an engineer you should know this, if you're a lawyer you shouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone not 13/13 and willing to admit it?

I don't think the results are really all that bad. Science knowledge is good, but as pointed out, the vast majority of people know the pratical things like antibiotics. Stuff like the relative sizes of electrons and atoms, while very basic, is hardly something you will use in everyday life. I'm sure there are far scarier general knowledge quizzes out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
svenius wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
svenius wrote:

Sure it's all high school stuff, but that doesn't mean everyone took that class. eg knowing that electrons are smaller than atoms requires a working understanding of the atomic model. If you're an engineer you should know this, if you're a lawyer you shouldn't.

That's ridiculous. Most of this stuff is just general knowledge - things you learn just by paying attention and being engaged.

I'd never want an attorney to represent me who didn't know that electrons make up atoms and are therefor smaller than them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svenius wrote:

Shouldn't!? There's no way anyone shouldn't know something. Shouldn't have to is as far as that goes. But basic science stuff - and this is about as basic as it gets - should be taught to everyone at an age when the child might still become a scientist, a musician, a lawyer, a plumber, whatever.

Oddly the book I'm currently reading (well, one of them) has just referred to C.P. Snow's famous quotation as saying that not knowing the Second Law of Thermodynamics is like never having read a play by Shakespeare, and also comments about even simpler things. Should the lawyer not have read Shakespeare either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:

I don't think the results are really all that bad. Science knowledge is good, but as pointed out, the vast majority of people know the pratical things like antibiotics. Stuff like the relative sizes of electrons and atoms, while very basic, is hardly something you will use in everyday life. I'm sure there are far scarier general knowledge quizzes out there.

I scored 13 but the Laser question made me pause: "does it use sound waves somehow?" That question was almost misleading.

The nitrogen/atmosphere question also made me second guess myself. I forget what the other options were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
svenius wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
svenius wrote:

I was an English major in college and I am in logistics now, and I still know that electrons are smaller than atoms. That's 8th/9th grade knowledge. I probably can't name all the subatomic particles anymore and I certainly couldn't pass the AP Bio practical where I had to name all the muscles in a dissected cat, but I can't imagine forgetting some of this basic stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
happyjosiah wrote:

Sure. I can never remember which gas is the most common part of our atmosphere. So 12/13 for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13/13. The only one I had to pause on for a second was the most abundant gas in the atmosphere one.

I guess that one and the fracking one would be most likely to be answered wrongly by my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
happyjosiah wrote:

Sure. I can never remember which gas is the most common part of our atmosphere. So 12/13 for me.

I missed the same one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
13/13

I gather we all did.

I scored pi out of potato.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13/13 although I was pretty sure but not certain about which gas makes up the majority of the atmosphere. blush

EDIT: Apparently this was a common problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
13/13 although I was pretty sure but not certain about which gas makes up the majority of the atmosphere. blush

EDIT: Apparently this was a common problem.

Well at least we'll never have to worry about RSP'ers making bombs and blowing shit up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.