Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a bargain purchase of Kingdom Builder and the expansion from Amazon.de this week along with a few other games.

Was over the moon when it arrived in 3 days and opened the box with glee.

Imagine my horror when I realised it was a German version (yes I know what did I expect). I'm sure I checked and it had said English but it was a late night order and so I was probably tired.

Before I open the shrink wrap, is the game very language dependent, or should I look to pony up the return postage?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You'll need to translate the scoring cards, of which three are used each game.
Or you could just make your own cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no text on anything other than the scoring cards. But my version came with both German and English cards - I think Queen are international in this regard. Do you have an English rule-book, or just a German one? My copy came with rules in like 6 languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not opened it yet as I din't want to be lumbered if it required too much translation.
Will give it a look and see

/10 minutes later.

D'oh just the DE version.

Maybe I'll make up my own rules. Roll a 6 to start...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeah, there are two versions of the game: the version sold domestically in Germany is German-language only. The version sold everywhere else in the world is all of the languages. When at Essen at the Queen booth it's very important to look for the flags on the box!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
I've not opened it yet as I din't want to be lumbered if it required too much translation.
Will give it a look and see

/10 minutes later.

D'oh just the DE version.

Maybe I'll make up my own rules. Roll a 6 to start...

Bummer. But the rules are online, and the only translation you would need is for the scoring cards. And once you've seen those a couple times you'll have them memorized. don't give up on it - it's a great game!

Edit. In fact, you can see pics of the scoring cards here on BGG with the English language version. So you ought to be able to just use your german cards and make up a single-page cheat sheet for the text, or if you really want to paste it over the German text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it both the base game and the Nomads expansion that have German only cards (even if there are only three of them in the expansion)?

In comparison, I was amazed to open the International version that I bought (at a premium price to the amazon.de one that I was sorely tempted by, but refrained from purchasing due to the German only cards issue) to find two packs of cards (one the scoring cards and the other the terrain cards) both of which included German/US language versions of the scoring cards! I'm tempted to buy a second cheap copy from Amazon.de to make use of the extra cards in a second set I can give as a present!

But if the international version usually comes with these two packs, both including UK language scoring cards, you may be able to find someone to let you have the spare ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stylianos Kalaitzis
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
I wrote Queen games germany a letter and they sent me some cards that make the difference between international and german version. So now i own the international version. try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eden
United Kingdom
York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Crossroads expansion I just got from Amazonn.de came with multinational scoring cards and German rules only.
Just printing the rules off the Queen games website

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.