Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what recovery's going to be like. It's a quick outpatient procedure, but the doc said I'll have a 4-5 inch incision, so I imagine there'll be at least a little soreness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are about a million different kinds of hernias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got an inguinal hernia, if that tells you anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
I had hernia surgery around 8 or 9 years ago. An incision that size will take some recovery time. The stitches will hold you together but you won't want to move for a while and you will need some painkillers for the first couple of days.

I would strongly suggest that you take as much rest time as possible. Get a pile of books and settle in for some TV because, in my case, I found even getting up to sit at the computer hard to do for a few days. And you don't want to take the chance of opening the same hernia again by straining yourself before you've had adequate time to heal. Don't try to be a tough guy or you'll end up under the knife again.

Good luck.

PS. The reason I needed hernia surgery was that I had just had gall bladder surgery (which was easy by the way) but a week later I had a huge sneeze that opened up the surgery area and gave me a hernia. Ah-choo!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Everything I know about hernias I learned from Bill Cosby ("My Hernia" on When I Was a Kid; a hilarious tale of Bill impressing his friends). He says that when he first tried to get out of bed after the operation, nobody had told him that someone had stapled his leg to his stomach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolling Twenty
United States
California
flag msg tools
jonnylawless wrote:
Not sure what recovery's going to be like. It's a quick outpatient procedure, but the doc said I'll have a 4-5 inch incision, so I imagine there'll be at least a little soreness.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson just had hernia surgery. He said, "Saw my Dr who had to push my intestines back thru the tear in my abdomen. Kinda romantic."

And this is what he looked like after surgery:

So yeah...you can expect that...and uh...romance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I love that picture so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar hernia (sports hernia, they call it) on my left side. The surgery is, of course, unremarkable since you're out of it, naturally, while it's going on.

The un-fun part is afterwards. I wouldn't say it's the "worst ever" but I've had many, many sports-related injury surgeries including:

Broken Tibia/Fibula Right Leg - Titanium Rod Insertion
Right Knee Arthroscopy
Left Ankle Surgery
Left Ankle Surgery (large incision up the back near the Achilles)

I'd say that other than the Broken Leg surgery, the Hernia one was the most painful the first day or two afterwards (not to scare you but I'm known for being fairly stoic and I found the first day or two rather unpleasant, pain-wise). If you keep up on your meds and don't even THINK about moving around, you should be fine.

The toughest thing was
Spoiler (click to reveal)
that you really can't do any straining in that area so if you have any bowel movements it's terribly tricky, even with the laxatives - that was the thing I remember most about the experience
. The initial scar tissue felt weird (like a small hardened catepillar under your skin) but it gradually smooths out over time.

I wish you the best of luck and healing with your surgery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be confused despite people trying to explain things to you as you head into surgery.

You will deduce that the anesthesiologist is trying to poison you, so you will lash out and miss him, but connect a really solid punch to the gas tank.

This will hurt like hell for approximately 10 seconds.

You will pass out.

Later on you will wake up. Your hand won't hurt then.

That's what I remember from having my hernia operation, at roughly 6 years old. I suppose it would be different if you aren't currently six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Lockridge wrote:
And you don't want to take the chance of opening the same hernia again by straining yourself before you've had adequate time to heal. Don't try to be a tough guy or you'll end up under the knife again.

This +1. IIRC, my doctor said nothing heavier than a gallon of milk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had double hernia surgery (both sides) one year ago. I tore myself pretty catastrophically when doing some high speed running on a track. Behold, the ravages of age.

After the surgery there was approximately 2-3 days of feeling like I had been kicked in the crotch by a steel shod Mother of All Mules. wow

After that, recovery was pretty fast. I back up to running five miles within two weeks after the surgery.

Now... a year later I can sometimes, if I turn just the wrong way, feel the mesh inside me. Its weird... almost imperceptable, but not the same as before. Not painful or uncomfortable. Just weird. It's sort of like having a scar inside that now I'll live with forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.